PDA

View Full Version : Need amazing tips for getting rid of lice on MYSELF

JustMe
07-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Okay, I know there have been plenty of lice threads and I have read them. Dd got lice last week, and I know what to do...but I got it too...I have never had it before. I am single, but I have had some friends check my head. The biggest problem (other than finding people to check me) is that they are apparently very hard to see on my hair..my hair is different colors. I color it, but have been washing it a lot following olive oil treatments so many of the roots are grey.

What are the best thing(s) to do..as I said, I have been doing the olive oil tx. A friend who is in the school nursing field gave me a licemeister. She has found bugs in my hair with this. Any ideas on how to best (and most simply) make sure I am doing this correctly, getting all parts of my hair when I do it? Any tips to help find nits on hard to find hair when I can get a friend to do it? Should I color my hair again...I colored it the night before lice diagnosis as I was itchy and feared I might have it..I am worried about totally ruining my hair and not sure it would help as it didnt kill them the first time and, as far as getting rid of the gray (hard to find nit) problem...when I put the oil in and wash out the color will start wearing down anyway.

My friend found about 7 bugs a couple of days ago and 2 bugs yesterday with the licemeister...I dont think I have a bad case, but am trying to keep it from turning into that! I would even consider a professional service, but there are not really any in my area.

toby
07-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi-
First of all, I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this! My friend recently had to deal with horrible cases of lice with her children and she employed a professional lice woman! I laughed when I heard this, but it sounded as though this woman was a godsend. She had lots of experience in dealing with lice (I think that she is a former school nurse) and guided my friend through the process. You don't live in the NYC area by any chance, do you?

The one other thing that I would do, if you haven't already, is to call you doc for recommendations.

Sorry I can't be of more help...

MartiesMom2B
07-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Is hair fairies near you? http://www.hairfairies.com/ They are a salon just for getting rid of lice.

DrSally
07-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Is hair fairies near you? http://www.hairfairies.com/ They are a salon just for getting rid of lice.

I saw this on a show and thought it was the coolest idea.

Tondi G
07-13-2009, 11:56 AM
the hair fairies have a home kit to treat yourself! I passed this site on to my friend when her sons school was passing lice around like crazy!

http://www.hairfairies.com/products/

JustMe
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I was checked for nits today by someone who has lots of experience and she did not find any...so it seems I may have gotten lucky and had a mild case. I will keep getting checked and oiling myself up and hope things stay the same!

MamaKath
07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I was checked for nits today by someone who has lots of experience and she did not find any...so it seems I may have gotten lucky and had a mild case. I will keep getting checked and oiling myself up and hope things stay the same!
Yay! What a relief, eh? This is one of my worst fears of working in a school. So far, I have slid through without, however this seems to be the year for craziness...

JustMe
07-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Yes, thanks it is a relief. Still not fully relieved though...I just have a hard time believing those about 9 bugs didnt lay more eggs...I am keeping up with the oil treatments and checks...It is the scary thing about working in a school setting, and in my case with the preschool population, but on the positive side there are lots of people with checking and identification experience available!