PDA

View Full Version : For traveling parents, how do you check your car seats?

sbirmantaz
07-13-2009, 07:34 AM
We are going on a trip next week where I will want to take my 2 Britax Marathons for the trip. My dd's are 5 and 6 so I don't need them for the plane, but will for the car rental. What is the best way to protect them to be checked baggage? Or should I just take them on the airplane and have them sit in them? TIA!

nfowife
07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
I have a graco travel bag from BRU for my Marathon and it fits fine. Or you could bring them on if you will have help to carry them.

egoldber
07-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I really don't do anything special. The airline we use most often (United) usually has large plastic bags available at check-in and we use those. But a few times they have been out or unable to find them and so we had to check "as is". Honestly, it was fine.

But at those ages, I was using a booster for travel for Sarah. In that case, we used the Graco Turbobooster. We carried the base/seat onto the airplane and then checked the back in a duffle bag with other items. Love the Turbo for travel for this reason.

DebbieJ
07-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Buy a car seat bag at BRU and check them. That way you can stuff a little extra in them--you know those big, heavy shoes that always take up too much room in the suitcase?

Checking a car seat is free, too.

codex57
07-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I gate check. I'd never check a seat at the regular baggage check area. I'd rather not gate check as it is so if the kids have a seat and the seat fits, I'd rather just bring it on the plane and have em sit in it.

AnnieW625
07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't dare try and travel with my Marathon ever, that thing is a beast. We will be using a Safegaurd Go booster for the car when we arrive at our destinations and will use a CARES harness on the plane. I have gate checked and counter checked Elisa's carseat before and never had an issue with it either time if you feel it's necessary to bring their Marathons with you.

connor_mommy
07-13-2009, 06:42 PM
We usually have the child sit in it. DS#1 sat in his till 4 and DS#2 has been doing that. We just purchased the Safeguard Go for the boys and #2 will also use the Cares Harness on the plane. DS#1 is 5 and fine in the airplane seat. I think he would be uncomfortable in a carseat on the plane at this age. I think your girls should be fine on the airplane seats. Have you thought of purchasing something lighter to travel with? Btw, we usually gate check our stroller and Safeguard Go seats. That way they're at the tarmac waiting for us when we exit the plane. Alaska Air has been really good about having our stuff there when we exit.

ahrimie
07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I know NWA is getting rid of the big plastic bags (one of the travel agents told me they would start charging people to use them) so I bought one of those big red gate check bags from BuyBuyBaby for ours. I've done both gate check and regular... I have to say I just feel better with gate checking but the regular worked out just fine too. FWIW, we took our BLVD.

801kelle
07-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I always bought my DD a seat and took my carseat on plane and installed in her airplane seat. But I always took my stroller and would always gate check it!!! This May 2009 my DD turned 6yo and it was the first time we flew and I actually let her sit in airplane seat without carseat. But up until then we always took her carseat on plane for all flights. AND I didn't take her carseat on the trip at all. I bought the Ride Safer Vest. Stuck in the front pocket of my suitcase. Pulled it out after we got our luggage. Got to the car. Put her vest on her. Put her in car, buckled her in and away we went in the car.

Some people have good luck with checking carseats as luggage and then there are the nightmare stories of them getting lost!! Then what do you do?? You are stuck at an airport without a carseat???

egoldber
07-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Then what do you do?? You are stuck at an airport without a carseat???

Well, it's always good to have a plan. :)

This is why we carry the seat part of the Turbobooster on the airplane. For a 5/6 year old like the OP has, this is a valid choice.

I know someone this happened to recently for their 3 year old and the airline gave them a loaner that was actually a fine seat. (This person is highly educated about carseats and I saw the seat myself and it was fine.)

And worse comes to worse, our plan C is to have DH take the rental car to a Walmart/Target to buy a carseat while I wait at the airport with the kids.

niccig
07-13-2009, 09:40 PM
And worse comes to worse, our plan C is to have DH take the rental car to a Walmart/Target to buy a carseat while I wait at the airport with the kids.

That's our Plane C too, except I will be the one driving to buy it. DH wouldn't be brave enough because I'll be worried what I would say if he got the wrong seat...

To the OP, I've always taken a seat on but I have one DC, so it's doable when I fly alone. With 2 seats and 2 kids and no other helpers, I would check them in a car seat bag - I have one that is fairly padded. Fingers crossed they arrive with the luggage - make sure you check in early, so there's no time squeeze to get them on the plane. If you luck out and they don't get there, then send whoever is picking you up to Target to get some seats/borrow from the airline and drive to the first Target to get something better.

DS will be 5 on our next flight and we're not taking a car seat on the plane as he's big enough for the seatbelt. I have a Safeguard GO that we can take on as carry-on and a RiderSafe Vest - I'll be taking one of those on the plane with us.