PDA

View Full Version : flying with infant

pkkz124
07-13-2009, 07:45 AM
hi

i have a dilemma for thanksgiving this year. We're going to have a 3 month infant, and my brother has a 22 month old. He lives on the west coast and we live on the east coast. Traveling is going to be difficult for both of us, but which one do you think will be easier? We're trying to decide where to spend the holidays, but it depends on whom it's easier to travel for the 2 of us. Any thoughts?
What is the youngest age you flew (and we're talking about cross country with lay over and everythin ~8 hrs at least) with your child?

pkkz124

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2009, 08:02 AM
I'd fly with the 3m old. Their needs are pretty simple at that age- they want to eat and sleep for the most part. A toddler might get restless on the flight b/c they want to play and do something. A 22m old could be just fine but I would lean towards flying with the infant instead. We flew a lot the first year of ds1's life and it was quite easy. Btw, get a seat for the baby both for safety and convenience (it is very nice to have somewhere safe to set the baby down).

Beth

vonfirmath
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I agree. Unless the 3 month old has medical fragileness, the 3 month old will travel much easier than the 22 month old. (in general, personalities of kids can affect this as well)

mikeys_mom
07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
For sure the 3 month old is easier. We travelled a lot with DS until he was 9 months and wanted to always be moving around.

We did a 12 hour international flight when DD was 3 months and DS was 2.5 years old. I sat with DD and DH sat with DS. I definately had an easier flight. Baby just ate and slept.

egoldber
07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
No question the 3 month old.

Personally, I think the hardest ages to fly with are about age 1 to 2.5. Old enough to want to be mobile and not confined and too little to be reasoned with or bribed. ;)

Momof3Labs
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
The other thing is that the 22mo will need babyproofing wherever they stay, whereas the 3mo will not. The 3mo will definitely be easier to travel with!!

sail731
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
We took our DD across the country at 2 months and it was the easiest trip we've had. At 12 months, things were not too bad. She just turned 2 and seems to have ants in her pants all of the time. We are crossing our fingers that our up coming trip goes just as well.