PDA

View Full Version : Company Car Question

Wife_and_mommy
07-13-2009, 07:47 AM
If one is in an accident while driving a co. car, the co. picks up the tab for any deductibles etc., right?

Just wondering if that's how it's done in corporate america. :)

mamicka
07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
That's how it worked when I was in an accident with a rental paid for by my company.

So what happened? ;)

lizajane
07-13-2009, 07:55 AM
yes, my DH's co pays for car repairs and maintenance on his co car.

egoldber
07-13-2009, 07:57 AM
It depends. You need to check with the company for their specific policies.

You mean a personal car paid for by the company, not a rental car on a business trip, right?

Wife_and_mommy
07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
LOL. There is no "policy", Beth. ;) DH works for a small co. and his boss is quite generous in how he treats his employees. They are paying for the repairs but it was during personal use time(which they're okay with). I'm thinking that if DH worked for a larger co. that he would have been responsible for the repairs (and the rental) because he did it on his own time and not the co.'s. The car is owned by the co. but DH has had 24/7 use of it for 3 yrs. DH is feeling guilty about the added expense to the co. and I just see it as business.

Mamicka, he took a few friends to a special event several days ago. A very large object came flying at them out of nowhere. It hit the hood/grille of the car and caused over $4000/damage. The money is the least of it since it could have been much more serious if it had gone through the windshield.

I just wondered if someone here had some insight. I appreciate your responses. :)

egoldber
07-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Ugh. This is why informal arrangements can be both good and bad.

So the company makes the payments/bought the vehicle? Who pays for the insurance on the vehicle? If they bought the car and pay for the insurance, then I think they would be responsible.

Wife_and_mommy
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Ugh. This is why informal arrangements can be both good and bad.

So the company makes the payments/bought the vehicle? Who pays for the insurance on the vehicle? If they bought the car and pay for the insurance, then I think they would be responsible.

CO. pays all expenses re: the car. They are paying and there is no dispute about it. As I said, just wondering if a larger co. would not have been so generous, IYKWIM.

vonfirmath
07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
CO. pays all expenses re: the car. They are paying and there is no dispute about it. As I said, just wondering if a larger co. would not have been so generous, IYKWIM.

Our company pays for damages to the company cars their employees have in them, even on personal time. But they also reserve the right to "take back" the company car if it becomes too expensive for them.

egoldber
07-13-2009, 12:21 PM
No, I think a large company would have paid the expenses. They may have flagged the file so that any other expenses would be more closely looked at. ;) But those types of things are expected.

My SIL works for a company where she has to drive a company vehicle (heavy duty work truck) to job sites. In one period of time she had so many accidents I was sure they were going to take away her driving privileges and/or fire her, but no they just rolled with it. Amazing.

Wife_and_mommy
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Our company pays for damages to the company cars their employees have in them, even on personal time. But they also reserve the right to "take back" the company car if it becomes too expensive for them.

Aaaah. That makes sense. That's not even close to the case here but sounds exactly like what his co. "policy" is even if it isn't shared.

Wife_and_mommy
07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
No, I think a large company would have paid the expenses. They may have flagged the file so that any other expenses would be more closely looked at. ;) But those types of things are expected.

My SIL works for a company where she has to drive a company vehicle (heavy duty work truck) to job sites. In one period of time she had so many accidents I was sure they were going to take away her driving privileges and/or fire her, but no they just rolled with it. Amazing.

LOL. That's several people at this co. My DH is not one of them. ;)

Beth, I could tell you some stories...there are several people that should have been *gone* many years ago but they continue drawing a paycheck from there. Granted, none of them have 24/7 use of a new car either. ;)