PDA

View Full Version : Any good sites for finding a pen pal for a child?

jess_g
07-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Would like to find a pen pal for my son but I don't want to find out its a creepy 40 year old man writing to him. Are there any legimate sites for finding pen pals for a child? or is this just a bad idea in this day and age?

thanks,

Jessica.

AJP
07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
When we were young (school aged) our pen pals were set up through our school. I always enjoyed having a pen pal and often wonder how she is! Maybe ask at his school - when it is back in session. I don't know of any sites and I'd probably have the same hesitations as you.

billysmommy
07-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Billy's had some penpals from here :)

I've pm'd some moms who have kiddos similar ages and asked if they were interested and also just posted in general asking if anyone wanted to do penpals.

MamaKath
07-14-2009, 12:06 AM
jess, not sure what age kids or if you are looking for penpals for more than just your kids, but let me know. I teach at a small school, and often classes look for another class to encourage. My own kids enjoy sending postcards and such to other kids, though I am terrible about getting them out.

lizajane
07-14-2009, 10:12 AM
i bet schuyler would be interested. but he is dyslexic and just know learning to write. he is 6. how old is your DC?

veronica
07-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I have often thought of that for DD and always wish we did it through here! She is only 3.5 though, guess she's too young unless I am the "pen" for her pal!:)

missym
07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
At one time, I started a Yahoo group to organize a BBB penpal list. It died out some time ago, but I'd be happy to reactivate it since there are more of us with school-aged kiddos now.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBKidsPenpals/

(ETA: Yahoo is performing maintenance on their Groups database over the next few days, so if you get a page error please try again later. The group is active.)

jess_g
07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone. My boys are 9 and 5 and they both would love someone to write to. I think postcards are a great idea. I will look into the yahoo group and see if I can sign up for it.

Jessica

mommy111
07-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Oooh, this is such a cool idea! I had a Japanese penpal when I was a kid and we used to correspond frequently, right up to graduate school. I found her when visiting the Hiroshima memorial in Japan, several kids there had posted their names, addresses and profiles looking for overseas pen pals and we became regular correspondents :) Those were such fond memories for me, I'd love for DD to have something similar!

MamaKath
07-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Oooh, this is such a cool idea! I had a Japanese penpal when I was a kid and we used to correspond frequently, right up to graduate school. I found her when visiting the Hiroshima memorial in Japan, several kids there had posted their names, addresses and profiles looking for overseas pen pals and we became regular correspondents :) Those were such fond memories for me, I'd love for DD to have something similar!
This makes me think of my mom. She is in her 60s and has corresponded with someone in India since she was 8! They have kept in touch through growing up, marriages, children, deaths of husbands and more. They met for the first time a couple years ago! It is really an amazing friendship though and one I wish I had modeled after.

kijip
07-14-2009, 11:36 PM
If anyone has a child looking for a penpal, I have a little 6 year old boy looking for one. :jammin:

hellbennt
07-15-2009, 11:09 AM
I work in a school (counselor)...when the school year starts up, if anyone's dcs' teachers would like to pair up w/ a classroom in miami, send me a pm/email :)

AJP
07-15-2009, 11:19 AM
This thread has reminded me to search for my Norwegian penpal on facebook and I've found her. It's been about 16 years since we lost touch. I remember how exciting it was to open letters from her. I hope the internet/computers don't ruin this awesome experience for our children!

fivi2
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
At one time, I started a Yahoo group to organize a BBB penpal list. It died out some time ago, but I'd be happy to reactivate it since there are more of us with school-aged kiddos now.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBKidsPenpals/

(ETA: Yahoo is performing maintenance on their Groups database over the next few days, so if you get a page error please try again later. The group is active.)

What age range do you want for this group?

It sounds like a great idea, but my girls are probably on the young side (3.5). They do love sending and receiving mail, though!

Thanks!

missym
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Go ahead and register! I have a 3.5 yo who loves to get mail, as well. We can match up any ages.