PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Cloths - Now what?

belovedgandp
07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Probably a silly question, but I have a set of microfiber cloths and I'm honestly afraid to use them.

What kind of things do you clean with them? Anything I definitely should avoid getting on them?

The only instructions on them said to machine wash and dry without fabric softener.

Melaine
07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
My only advice is to try *not* to wash them with your other towels. Mine have gotten lots of fuzz on them and sort of lost their softness, I think because of being washed with towels.

DebbieJ
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
you mean microfiber cloths?

I use them for EVERYTHING. They are great for drying dishes and wiping up spills because they are so absorbant. I dust with them--you only need a little spritz of water on them, if anything, to do that. No chemicals necessary.

I wash mine with the rest of my towels and have never had a problem. I don't use fabric softener on my towels anyway--it limits their absorbancy.

Naranjadia
07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
We also use them for mirrors and glass. They won't scratch monitor glass, so they're good for that. I also use them inside the microwave, kitchen counters, wiping up the table.

Momof3Labs
07-13-2009, 02:47 PM
We use them on our Swiffer when sweeping our wood floors. I love how they grab dust and dog hair, and then go straight in the wash. They work better than the Swiffer disposables and end up being so much more economical. I also use them for dusting, including the TV screen.

MmeSunny
07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
I would also not wash them with anything else. They pick up lint amazingly well, which is why they are great for dusting.

I use mine for any type of cleaning. The texture really "scrubs" w/o a lot of elbow grease.

They are also great for stuffing pocket diapers!

MamaKath
07-14-2009, 12:33 AM
If you really feel like you want to use more than water, mix up vinegar and water and use that. It smells like salad, but works great. ;)

belovedgandp
07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Ok, I've got the idea of using them like I've used Swiffer dry cloths in the past.

So, nothing on them for mirrors and such? Or that's when you're putting water/vinegar on them?

I really am clueless here. I don't want to hurt my stuff or the cloths.

AJP
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I use a tiny bit of water or one tiny spritz of glass cleaner for the mirrors, chrome/nickel/stainless finishes in the bathroom, the stainless cooktop etc. You really don't need any cleaners to get those mirrors sparkling with these cloths...a little water is all you need! They are very gentle, they shouldn't hurt your stuf. I dust my wood furniture with them dry or just a tiny bit damp.
I wash mine seperately, no liquid fabric softener & try to hang dry. If you use the dryer don't use any dryer sheets either. Mine have lasted a long time.

DebbieJ
07-16-2009, 02:42 AM
I wash mine seperately, no liquid fabric softener & try to hang dry. If you use the dryer don't use any dryer sheets either. Mine have lasted a long time.

FYI--dryer sheets ARE fabric softener.

s7714
07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
I use them for EVERYTHING. They are great for drying dishes and wiping up spills because they are so absorbant. I dust with them--you only need a little spritz of water on them, if anything, to do that. No chemicals necessary.

I wash mine with the rest of my towels and have never had a problem. I don't use fabric softener on my towels anyway--it limits their absorbancy.

Same here.

AJP
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
FYI--dryer sheets ARE fabric softener.

Exactly. Thats why we don't use em!