PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone shop at Aldi?

ohiomom1121
07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I keep seeing their ads, and food seems ridiculously cheap compared to my regular grocery store. This week's ad says cantelope is .79, blueberries are .89 and a whole seedless watermelon is $2.79! Is their quality good? Any hits and misses? I'm thinking of checking it out. Is it one of those stores you have to bring bags to? I remember my friend going a long time ago and you have to pay .25 to get a cart, then you get it back when you return it!

DebbieJ
07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
I shop there regularly. Love it! Produce can be hit or miss, so just examine it closely. Bring a quarter for your cart and your own bags. You can also buy bags there.

The store is small, so you can get in and out quick. But they are not a fully stocked store, so you might need to hit another store or two to get everything else you need.

Things we get there regularly:
crackers
cereal
chips
flour
sugar
milk
eggs
yogurt
cottage cheese
cheese slices
string cheese
juice
tortillas
bread
frozen pizzas
jelly
canned fruit
frozen veggies

brittone2
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
If I remember right, they are owned by the same individual/group (?) as Trader Joe's.

Melaine
07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Pretty much yes to everything DebbieJ said. Aldi is my favorite for produce, canned goods, and pantry staples. I actually really like the simplicity of the stores, too but there are definitely gaps in the selection as a result. I always stock up on chips, nuts, cake mixes, stuff like that. You can buy bags for 5-10 cent each, or bring your own.

I read somewhere that Walmart considered Aldi it's biggest competitor.

larig
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't shop there, because I don't even know if we have them in Washington state, but my mom has even purchased computers there (PCs, obviously). She loves Aldi.

DrSally
07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Once and awhile. It's a value chain based in Germany (the home of value shoppers). They have mostly their own brand. Some things I've liked, some things not as much. The cart thing is a pain (bring your own bags too). They usually only have one cashier working, so the line can be long. The produce can sometimes be moldy, so you have to look at it carefully. Great prices though. I mostly go for their toys if I see something good in the ad, and pick up a few groceries if I'm there.

mom2binsd
07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
WE have a newer ALDI but honestly I can do just as well at the Meijer down the street, the ALDI's produce I have found to be pretty poor and some of their brands are hit or miss. I think you need to try them out and see how yours is and try a few of their brands to see which you like.

Our Meijer's has the greatest produce section and their prices on other items is very competitive and their store brand is often as good as name brand.

DebbieJ
07-13-2009, 10:24 AM
One note: If you try something and you don't like it, they will take it back and refund your money. They have a great return policy.

Andi98989
07-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't really get produce there, but I will get tons of other stuff from them.

Soy milk
String cheese
Crackers
Microwave popcorn
Rice cakes
Cream of ___ soup
Frozen turkey meatballs
Baking supplies
Tortilla chips
Salsa

I love pretty much everything I've ever gotten from their Fit n Active brand (low fat, low cal). Their Happy Farms string cheese is my husband's favorite out of any brand I've ever bought. They're also one of the only places I can find turkey meatballs.

Melaine
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Once and awhile. It's a value chain based in Germany (the home of value shoppers). They have mostly their own brand. Some things I've liked, some things not as much. The cart thing is a pain (bring your own bags too). They usually only have one cashier working, so the line can be long. The produce can sometimes be moldy, so you have to look at it carefully. Great prices though. I mostly go for their toys if I see something good in the ad, and pick up a few groceries if I'm there.

Obviously, YMMV. I've never found anything out of date or moldy and I really like the cart thing. I've never had to wait long at all there (compared to other grocery chains) because they move the customers along so quickly. If you forget to bring bags, buying them at a nickel a piece is a bargain considering the other savings, IMO.

DrSally
07-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I should add that the reason the carts are a pain for *me* is that ours is 30 min away, so I don't go often. Then, I always forget about the cart thing and am carrying a baby and holding a toddler's hand and needing to dig for a quarter. If I were more prepared it wouldn't be a big deal.

There are great prices, I just find you have to pick and choose and I haven't shopped there enough to know which things I like and which things I don't, so I usually come home with some things I don't like so much. I did buy some guacamole on sale for .50 a box b/c it was one day from expiring. I little package the first day (froze the rest) and had really bad GI symptoms. I thought about returning it, but don't make it there often enough to make it worth my while.

fedoragirl
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I love the cart idea. It saves me (the consumer) a lot of money at the aisle, and it makes lazy people return the cart where they should belong rather than leave them as accident hazards in the middle of the parking lot. That is my pet peeve. We pay all these inflated prices at the stores because of these small things we can do ourselves. Same with bags.
Aldi is able to keep its prices low because they don't hire manpower for returning carts, producing bags.
The lines can be long but they move fast as Aldi cashiers are evaluated based on how fast they can ring items through the register.
I agree with the produce section as the choices are not always the best.
There are some great deals at Aldi, and I shop there every week. It has reduced our grocery bills by 25%.
Also, Aldi superimposed their brand name over items we would buy elsewhere with the regular brand name. They do this because the manufacturers won't let them sell items below a certain price with their own brand names on it.

lizajane
07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
i have been several times, though not recently. i am have been meaning to go to get things like canned black beans. their prices are REALLy low, yes. but their processed foods are kinda gross. lots of HFCS and hydrogenated oil. BUT the single ingredient stuff like canned black beans is no different from any other black beans.

for the produce- i have mostly been happy. but i remember one time i went all the way there to get a cheap pinapple and discovered it was the size of a pinecone! tiny!!! not worth the trip. but most stuff is great.

DietCokeLover
07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I am a huge fan of Aldi. I shop there much like other posters. Staples, baking items, canned goods, etc.

I agree with OP - their string cheese is the BEST I have ever tasted.

The closest Aldi to me now is an hour away, so I shop there once a month if I am lucky. I miss being able to shop there on a regular basis.

To add, if you forget bags and don't want to purchase more, you can grab one of the stock boxes off the floor and use that to carry your groceries home. I do this quite a bit because I am scatter brained and can't remember my bags.

I do hide an "Aldi quarter" in my van and it is not to be touched for any other reason!

notasherpa
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I shop at Aldi's all the time - it is about 2 minutes from my house.

I love it for the reasons mentioned. The stores are small and it reduces the time I'm in there. Yes, selections are limited but for life basics, their prices are fantastic. I purchase the produce all the time and it is fine. The very times I haven't been satisfied, I've returned it for a refund or replacement - no questions.

I have also liked their frozen fish - they salmon and tilapia is yummy.

Many of my friends shop there and with the economy as it is, the parking lot is always full.

Give it a try - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

misshollygolightly
07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I LOVE Aldi! As many people have already said, the produce is limited and hit-or-miss, and ALDI is best for pantry staples. It's tough to make it your one-stop shop, but I go at least once a month to stock up on stuff. In addition to the pantry staples, I've been consistently happy with their fresh meats (LOVE the fresh lean ground turkey!), frozen fish, and dairy. I also occasionally buy wine and alcohol there--great prices, and the Winking Owl wine (at least) is pretty drinkable! Good for stocking up for parties, or for a basic table-and-cooking wine. Oh, and I like their toilet paper and kleenx, though I know personal preferences on those goods vary widely.

I know people have already mentioned you need to bring a quarter or two for the grocery cart (a feature I like!), but you also need to bring your own bags (or pay for theirs--which are high-quality at least, if you must buy them), and our ALDI anyway only takes cash and ATM card (no credit cards). I believe ALDI is owned by the same German-based company as Metro, for whatever that's worth.

Give it a try--at least one or two times!

kijip
07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
There are none in my state at all. For people in Washington looking for similarly low prices on conventional foods, Winco is a good bet.

DebbieJ
07-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I do hide an "Aldi quarter" in my van and it is not to be touched for any other reason!

I have one in the console of my car too! :jammin:

DrSally
07-13-2009, 02:55 PM

Funny! Now I have to go try the string cheese. I think the main things I've been unhappy with have been processed items, like Lisa said, so maybe I should focus more on the staples while there.

Sillygirl
07-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Also, know that they don't take credit cards. They do debit cards and cash. I got some greaet shelving units there but I had to put them back and come back later b/c I never carry anything except a credit card.

boltfam
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
One note: If you try something and you don't like it, they will take it back and refund your money. They have a great return policy.

:yeahthat: Double your money back or they'll replace the product and give you your money back! I've only had to use it once, though.

melwe
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Also a fan of Aldi's. It is actually the closest store to my house, so I go there frequently. As mentioned before, I stick to canned goods, milk, eggs, bagged lettuce, bread, baking staples, frozen veggies, etc. Their produce has always been very good for us, but I would suspect it varies by region.

Things I have bought that I did not like: sliced cheeses, low fat sour cream, frozen pizza (although others I know like it just fine), some of their cereals (just a slightly different taste like other generics can be).

FWIW, I know people who work for Aldi's and they treat their employees very well. Good pay, benefits, etc.

mom2224
07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
LOVE Aldi!

Winking Owl Chardonnay is pretty good for $2.99

gobadgers
07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
I got started on ALDI when I worked in Germany. I just forgot about it for a while, then my German neighbor mentioned that she does all her shopping there so I went again. At first I was enthralled, but now I'm just lukewarm on it.

My experience has been hit-or-miss. To join the chorus, they have great prices on staples. I get a lot of our canned beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste there. However, I've found a lot of added sugar, HFCS, salt and - blech - artificial flavors. I have to be pretty careful to avoid them, and that makes it a lot less convenient in my mind. Some things taste very good, others are a little off. DH won't touch their tortilla chips, and he's not known to turn them down EVER. But dairy products are ridiculuously cheap and I've liked everything I've tried.

They also have crazy specials on kids toys and other completely random stuff. I got a full-size laminator there once for something like $10. And strawberries earlier this year for $0.25 per package. And they were good!

ohiomom1121
07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm completely convinced I need to check it out!!! Thanks for all the good info. :)

C99
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Aldi owns Trader Joe's, so some of the quality crosses over, but some does not. However, if you are shopping traditional/conventional grocery stores, Aldi definitely rocks. I am a primarily TJ's shopper, so I only buy a small amount of stuff at Aldi -- I was just there today actually and bought mayonnaise, lemons, M&Ms, and gum. I usually also buy packet oatmeal, but they were out. Like a PP said, they have a lot of fillers in their products, which makes Aldi products significantly less appealing to me (but it's also why I don't shop at conventional grocery stores either).

rwiklendt
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
We LOVE their microwave popcorn. We make a special trip to Aldi for it and stock up on much of the items other PP have mentioned.