PDA

View Full Version : More Pittsburgh questions - Northshore?

moosemama
07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi again,

I posted a few weeks ago about traveling to Pittsburgh with our almost 3 year old DS and got some great advice.

I was all set on finding accommodation in the Waterfront area, but I just found out I could rent an apartment in the Northshore area for about 1/2 the price of a hotel. It's in a gated community, on the water and from the map looks to be about 1/2 way between I-279 and I-579.

I know nothing about Pittsburgh so I'm looking for advice on whether you think this would be a good (safe, convenient etc.) location for us to stay. We're planning on staying for 5 days, visiting the Children's Museum, Zoo, sightseeing, shopping etc. We'll have a car.

Also, several people mentioned we'd need a stroller at the zoo. Would you suggest we bring a big all-terrain type (Valco) or something smaller (Mac Triumph or Quinny Zapp). DS is getting pretty heavy to push in the Mac.

Any other advice for places to go, things to do would be greatly appreciated! We'll be in town the last week of July.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Jenn

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Is it located right off the 9th st. bridge? If so, that is a fine location in terms of safety and convenience. Depending on the unit you could have some really nice views. You'll be able to easily walk over the bridge and into the city to have dinner.

Lots of hills at the zoo so that is your consideration.

Beth

moosemama
07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Is it located right off the 9th st. bridge? If so, that is a fine location in terms of safety and convenience. Depending on the unit you could have some really nice views. You'll be able to easily walk over the bridge and into the city to have dinner.

Lots of hills at the zoo so that is your consideration.

Beth

Yes, it's on Anderson St which appears to be right off the 9th St. Bridge. I wasn't sure if the bridge was pedestrian-friendly - it's great to know it is!

Thank you for your quick reply :)

Jenn

BillK
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
The zoo actually rents little "jeeps" that 2 kids can sit in and are very convenient. We'll stop taking our Joovy once Ben is a little older and can ride in the jeep w/o trying to climb out all the time.

moosemama
07-13-2009, 01:25 PM
The zoo actually rents little "jeeps" that 2 kids can sit in and are very convenient. We'll stop taking our Joovy once Ben is a little older and can ride in the jeep w/o trying to climb out all the time.

Oh, thanks! DS would probably love riding in a jeep! Have you tried them? Are they relatively easy to push? I'm thinking that might be a great idea - we could use the 2nd seat to store our lunch...

Jenn

AmyZ
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Agreeing that the Northshore is better than the waterfront. The waterfront is nice, but not after dark.