PDA

View Full Version : My Baby is Turning 1: What do I need to know?

jenny
07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I can't believe it's going to be a year since DD was born. I don't feel a year older!

I did a lot of research before DD was born on baby gear and reading up on child development, but now that she's older, I am clueless. Who has time to read with a kid running around?

So I need your help mamas. What items do I need? And what do I need to do now as a mom of a 1 year old? We read to her, but not at certain times, we just do it throughout the day. Should we do art projects with her or join the Y so she can do little kiddie classes?

I bought a few sippy cups: one with a straw from Nuby and one without a straw to help DD transition to cow's milk. We have the take and toss sippy cups that she uses for water but wanted to give something else a try as well.

We had her party on Saturday for her and got gift cards to BRU...will probably save them to buy things, but what? I will definitely buy a baby bjorn potty training thing to use 8 months down the road.

Do I need any other gear? We already have an umbrella stroller.

As far as advice: what do I need to know? Right now DD goes to sleep after we've given her a bottle, but the doc says we need to break her of that habit...how do I do that? Anyone BTDT? She's not a very good eater and the doc says no more than 20 ounces of cow's milk a day ... and to supplement with water the rest. She said that she'll eat more eventually as she gets hungrier from drinking less...is that true?

I know this is scattered, but any advice would be much appreciated for the experts out there.

Thanks!

deannanb
07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
we have been using the take and toss sippy cups at home -
I bought a fogo cup for milk travel - but don't like it (it leaks) -
you may have to try several cups before you find one you like. don't be afraid to try one and then just throw it away because you don't like it.

DS - eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks here and there - maybe some water before bed -

if dd is eating yogurt and cheese, then you don't "need" to give her milk to drink - water should be just fine. avoid juice straight out of the container - if you want to give juice make sure it is watered down - you are just giving dd liquid sugar.

she is a little young for art projects, but if you can take her to classes (with you) at the y - or a gymboree or music class, that is great.

make sure your house is baby proofed - if she is crawling or walking she will be getting into everything -

hth

BabyMine
07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Congratulations!! I know what you mean about time. DS2 will be 1 in a couple weeks. DS2 is getting DS1's handme down toys. They are big blocks and books. I second Gymboree. I did this with DS1 and will do it with DS2.

doberbrat
07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
IMO #1 is to make sure your childproofing is up to snuff. anchor heavy furniture & TVs to the wall. make sure knives & scissors are locked up. (I lockup markers too!) window screens should be secure or have guards etc.

the rest falls into place naturally. get outside more, talk about what you're seeing, read more, start little art 'projects' but basically, do what you did the day before her bday.

hellbennt
07-14-2009, 09:38 AM
follow her lead :)
you say you read to her but not at certain times- you can start a routine of reading before naps or before bed or: you don't have to, lol.

hold her
talk to her
sing to her
play
narrate everything!

when she's frustrated, tell her. sad, happy, etc. this gets her ready to be able to eventually expresss herself later on...

enjoy!