PDA

View Full Version : Will

DietCokeLover
07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Has anyone ever used USLegalForms.com to draw up a will? Dave Ramsey recommends this site, but I don't know anyone who has actually used it.

If so, what are your thoughts?

Jacksonvol
07-14-2009, 01:00 AM
I am not familiar with this site. However, as an attorney who has administered her share of estates, I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney before you use a form based will. Generally, consultation fees are not high and you will be given information about the laws in your state. Unless you have a particularly complex tax situation, the cost of preparing a fairly standard will (i.e. everything to spouse then kids, guardianship provision for minors & trust for minors) is inexpensive for the peace of mind that you purchase.

Again, I am not familiar with this product, but I have seen problems where the will was prepared from a form with unintended results. Having to tell someone still grieving a loss that they have a problem with the estate is one of the worse things I have had to do. If an attorney had drawn the will, there might have been the possibility for recourse, not so with the form they had prepared themselves.

DietCokeLover
07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Thank you for that feedback.

The online forms are 1/2 the cost of what using an attorney would be, but I may need to rethink this now.

bigpassport
07-15-2009, 01:07 AM
ITA with Jacksonvol. The legal forms you are referring to are probably fine for a particular situation. The problem is that you don't know what you don't know. In my area, you can have a basic will drafted by a competent attorney for $100 (however, I would also suggest a durable power of attorney and health care power of attorney for you and your DH). You want to have the peace of mind that everything is going to be taken care of for your DH and DCs if you pass. Even more so, you want to be sure that everything will be taken care of for your DCs (especially guardianship) if both you and DH pass. If you need help finding an attorney in your area, PM me.