PDA

View Full Version : why no love for Franklin?

justincase
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
So I noticed on the TV threads a couple of weeks back that a lot of people were staunchly anti-Franklin. I don't know a lot about the show -- I did let DS watch a couple of episodes this spring when I was 8-9 mos pg and basically passed out next to him on the couch, but we never went back to it. He has a loves the books -- we got a bunch at a yard sale -- so I know the characters. Now he's begging for the show. He watches one 30 minute show (something I've TiVo-ed) a couple of times a week if I really need to get something done outside of naptime. Please tell me about your objections so I can decide whether to add it to the mix. The two things I hazily absorbed back in the spring were (1) it's a little preachy / annoyingly heavy-handed on the "message" and (2) Beaver is pretty bossy. But for those of you who don't like it, can you tell me why? TIA!

egoldber
07-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I love Franklin, but I think it's more of an older preschool or early elementary show. Kind of like Arthur without the annoyance of DW. ;)

I also love Little Bear.

fivi2
07-13-2009, 01:51 PM
My 3.5 yos seem to find it either boring or scary. I guess they aren't the right age group.

For me, I find it a little annoying, but no worse than a lot out there.

eta: my girls will watch Little Bear on occasion, but have been scared by some of those also. (did I mention they are easily scared :) )

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I love Franklin but agree that it is for older preschool/ young elementary. He might like the show though so give it a try. I have no problem with the show. I think that you will find that there are so many people that have strong feelings- positive and negative- about the different shows that you just need to turn a deaf ear and watch what you like. :)

Beth

Sillygirl
07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I must have missed the other threads. Jonathan loves Franklin and I like the stories. I really like that the child-aged characters don't model obnoxious behavior to make it more "edgy." But I do loathe the Beaver character and her bossy, whiny voice.

VClute
07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't like Franklin because a) it's boring and b) the theme song isn't very upbeat and fun to sing. Same with Oswald.

Ceepa
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't like Franklin because a) it's boring and b) the theme song isn't very upbeat and fun to sing. Same with Oswald.

we used to sing the Franklin theme song all the time inserting the name of DC, lovies or pets. :) "Hey it's Teddy Bear, comin' over to plaaaayyy."

I like how the adult characters on Franklin are more significant than just background characters who breeze in and out.

LBW
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I love Franklin (and adore Little Bear!) and even my Pokemon/Star Wars-lovin', too-cool-for-school 6-year old likes it. We don't see Franklin much, though, because we don't have any DVDs, and I rarely let the boys watch network shows.

pinkmomagain
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I love Franklin and in fact the books are some of my favorites to read aloud. My dd3 likes the books better than the show. Don't know why people are anti-Franklin...I guess to each his own.

mamicka
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
we used to sing the Franklin theme song all the time inserting the name of DC, lovies or pets. :) "Hey it's Teddy Bear, comin' over to plaaaayyy."

I like how the adult characters on Franklin are more significant than just background characters who breeze in and out.

Same here.

kristenk
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
DD still likes Franklin at 5yo and has liked it for quite a while. The show doesn't bother me at all. I actually sort of like Franklin and his friends.

twindad
07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
My girls (4.5) love Franklin. It's one of the few shows they watch.

justincase
07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
These responses are so interesting, because I thought I noticed a lot of anti-Franklin sentiment on those other threads. I know that people (especially here! ;)) will always feel really strongly one way or the other, but I just wondered *why* people felt that way in case it was something I would agree with but wouldn't discover on my own until he'd already been watching for a while. He has interesting tastes for a 3yo so I think I'll give it a try. 'Cause it's no great effort on my part to try it, just setting up the TiVo!

Maybe I should do a poll and find out Franklin's BBB approval rating! Sounds like a project fraught with perils, I mean, learning opportunities, for my statistics students... :D

MartiesMom2B
07-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I guess Beaver is my big pet peeve with Franklin. She reminds me of one of the neighborhood kids .

egoldber
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
See I think the whole point of Franklin is to help kids deal with kids like Beaver. :) Which is why I think it's more appropriate for kids a bit older in school and other similar social situations.

Sillygirl
07-13-2009, 04:58 PM
See I think the whole point of Franklin is to help kids deal with kids like Beaver. :) Which is why I think it's more appropriate for kids a bit older in school and other similar social situations.

:yeahthat: I agree that's one of Beaver's purposes - Jonathan and I have role-played how to handle the "princess clique" in his class based on Beaver's interactions with Franklin.

The other is so that my DH can snicker whenever Jonathan (who shares my dislike) tells him "Mommy and I don't like Beaver."

ETA: And that little snark was, apparently, my 2000th post. Five years in the making.

Ceepa
07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
The other is so that my DH can snicker whenever Jonathan (who shares my dislike) tells him "Mommy and I don't like Beaver."

ETA: And that little snark was, apparently, my 2000th post. Five years in the making.

I think Beaver should have a twin brother named Mule.

(Congrats on 2000)

hellokitty
07-13-2009, 05:04 PM

:yeahthat: I never liked Franklin when my kids were smaller. Now that they are 4-5 yrs old, I think it is more appropriate.

daisymommy
07-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry, but I like Franklin :) Really, most kids shows annoy me to some degree, so I tolerate it. The only one that I enjoy watching is Little Bear.

Fairy
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm one of the aforementioned anti-Franklin chicks. Ya know, unlike Gabba and Lazytown and Spongebob, DS can watch this if he wants to. I do think it's heavy-handed with the message, and Franklin seems like such a twit to me, and the whining gets to me, and then there's Beaver. But at least there are good messages here, and I agree with other posters that there's alot to like here about how to deal with social situations (which is the purpose of Beaver and Mr. Whiny Twit. Now, if DS actually wanted it, I'd say fine. But he actually is not interested in this at all. So, I think you're in good shape as far as something enriching for your DC. I do think the fact that it skews older is important, tho.

I also love Little Bear. I think it's one of the best shows out there. Alot of dissenting opinions, there, as well.

m448
07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
We enjoy Franklin here as well. I enjoy the real characters (although it annoys hubby that like other "animal" shows they have pets but he's a geek that way).

nov04
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Each show has a message which I like. And Franklin also does things that typical kids do, like planning to run away (I did!).

I loooove Little Bear. It's such a calming show, models things that dd1 needs help with like sitting on the ground, looking at the sky, other quiet activities.

bnme
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I really love Franklin & Little Bear, too. I can't imagine hating them! I love that it is so different than other show, more old fashioned. No singing or weird gabba gabba characters. So nice and wholesome. I love Oswald also. I think for the calming effect and the music. Though it does have some strange characters...

newnana
07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
No love of Franklin here. I don't hate the show, but DD becomes SO whiny after she watches it that it isn't worth it. There are a couple of shows that she does this with, and I haven't figured out the link. I'm certainly not going to put the fam through her watching them to figure out the connection. So any show that makes DD whiny is off the list. I love the messages in the show, but I don't think she's getting them.

Blech!!

But if she didn't do this, I'd be fine with her watching it.

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2009, 08:37 PM
I have a soft spot for Franklin b/c as ds1 has gotten older I can see him doing things Franklin does. I think Franklin acts a lot like a boy that age would act (elementary aged). And, yes, my ds can annoy me with his whining but I think he is a great, sweet little guy and I think Franklin is too. :)

Beth

purpleeyes
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Ya know, unlike Gabba and Lazytown and Spongebob, DS can watch this if he wants to. I

I also love Little Bear. I think it's one of the best shows out there. Alot of dissenting opinions, there, as well.

OMG, isn't lazytown the absolute WORST? I absolutely won't allow that in my house.
However, I *love* yo gabba gabba. I have decided to embrace the ridiculousness of it :banana:

And ITA about LB. Awesome show, one of the few we have DVD's of.

So, to keep it on-topic, I could go either way on Franklin. It doesn't appeal to DS too much, b/c I think it kind of goes over his head-better for older kids.

lizajane
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM

oh, katie... i can always count on you...
:hysterical:

jennifer2saint
07-13-2009, 10:42 PM
We really enjoy the Franklin books- we watch very little TV in our house, so the kids see Franklin every once in a while. I am fine with the show, but I read the descriptions first. I did find in a few episodes Franklin was really mean to his sister or a bit rude, so we avoid those. The others are great!