PDA

View Full Version : 3yo nail ripper/biter

Java
07-14-2009, 01:14 AM
My 3yo DD likes to rip her nails to the quick. Some nails are ripped to the red fleshy part. It looks painful to me but doesn't seem to bother her. Sometimes I see her biting the nails to get a corner up then uses a finger to scrape the nail piece off. I'm not even sure she knows she's doing it.

All her nails are ripped but her thumbs are particular favorites. I file the nails down so she can't feel the edges but I see her fingers running across the nails anyway, searching, always searching. This is done subconsciously - like during storytime or watching TV or in the carseat. When I bring up how ragged her nails are, she seems to get embarrassed and will hide her fingers but I can see that she's still feeling them on the sly.

My friend suggested the bitter nail polish for when she nibbles on them but that doesn't help the situations when she just rips them. So princess gloves were mentioned. Great idea in the wintertime, but we're experiencing a heat wave now!

Any other suggestions?

brittone2
07-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Does she have any sort of sensory issues in your opinion?

Issues w/ foods, gagging, tags/clothing, etc. etc.? That might be something to look into?

mctlaw
07-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Bumping up, for I hope other replies. You are not alone! My 3 year old does this too, almost exactly as you describe-with the thumbs being the primary targets, but all fingers are somewhat affected. Mostly he picks them down to the quick and there is occasional biting, too. It seems to be a soothing behavior mostly at bedtime or other downtime. I wanted to let you know you are not the only one! And, you only got 1 response so I wanted to bump up as I also have no idea how to stop this behavior. My son would definitely not keep gloves on at night. I try not to pester him about it as he seems to get very embarrassed and self-conscious and I worry this could have the opposite of the desired effect and cause him to have a complex about it. If I see him doing it, however, I point it out so he is aware, but he doesn't seem to be able to stop.

To answer the replying poster, my son does not have any sensory issues that I am aware of such as with clothing or foods.

Anyone else out there have any BTDT advice for OP and me? I haven't even posted here in about 2 years, though I lurk very frequently, but this post was so familiar I had to. Thanks.

Clarity
07-16-2009, 09:44 PM
I wish I had advice, I have a nail biter too. Her hands are contantly in her mouth. I notice that my dd's hands go to her mouth whenever she's a bit uncertain. She may be around a new person or situation or "on display" somehow. I can't get her to stop and she also bites them down so far that she complains of them hurting.

mctlaw
07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Clarity. Mine only complains when eating acidic fruit!
Thanks for commiserating!