PDA

View Full Version : The Sears Tower 'Ledge' - NOT For The Agoraphobic...

randomkid
07-14-2009, 01:59 AM
...or whatever that phobia may be called that we discussed not long ago on this thread - the fear of high open spaces and feeling you are being pulled into the open space. http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=322934&highlight=phobia&page=2

Possibly this:

I just did a quick search. It sounds like this-

Aeroacrophobia is the fear of open and high places.

Anyway - I have that phobia and just looking at these photos makes me feel like this :47: :eek: :38: Funny that in the above mentioned thread, I posted about my experience at the Sears Tower and my feeling of unease just walking up to the glass. This would be impossible for me!

•The Sears Tower has glass boxes extending from its 103rd-floor Skywalk

•Visitors can walk into the boxes and feel like they're hovering 1,353 feet in the air

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/13/sears.tower.ledge/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

happymom
07-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Yup, I saw that. So cool, but I think I'd be freaked out to walk on that, even though I'm not usually aeroacrophobic. What I found amazing was all the pictures of children leaning down with their faces pressed against the floor. I DEFINITELY couldnt do that! Cool stuff though.

MamaMolly
07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
The CN tower has glass blocks in the floor. Like huge ones that make a giant grid/window. I felt my knees go out from under me just standing on the edge. Even stout-hearted DH admitted that his knees were shaking once we were back on the ground.

Interesting to watch was the babies. I saw a lot of dads put a crawler on one side of the blocks and then try to get the baby to crawl across them. Very, very few babies would do it. They were no dummies!

I could never do the Sears tower window, and it holds absolutely no interest for me. I just don't trust the people who made it to have done it properly! But then I'm a worrier...

egoldber
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
LOL! DH sent me the link to the Yahoo story and even the pix in the story made me queasy!