PDA

View Full Version : Thinking really far ahead about flight logistics...

sarahsthreads
07-14-2009, 11:42 AM
DH is in the early stages of planning a trip to Disney next summer. We went with his family three summers ago when DD1 was 20 months, stayed off property and rented a car. So it was a no-brainer to bring her seat (we bought her a seat on the flight as well) but it was a true PITA to lug that thing through the airport, and we only had the one child at the time!

Next summer we will have a 5.5 year old, a 2 year old, and we'd be staying on property and not renting a car.

Do the shuttle buses from the airport to Disney have places to install seats? Or even seatbelts? The bus to the rental car agency last time didn't even have those and I had to hold DD1 on my lap anyway, even though we had her seat. If the kids can't be riding in seats on the shuttle bus we're thinking about getting a CARES harness for the plane for the 2 year old and letting the 5.5 year old just use the lap belt. It would make life going through the airport *significantly* easier, but somehow it feels like cheating...

Thanks!
Sarah :)

egoldber
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Do the shuttle buses from the airport to Disney have places to install seats? Or even seatbelts?

No. They are large buses (think Greyhound) and have no seatbelts.

And FYI, many rental car places are right on site at the Orlando airport and for those there is no need to get on a bus. The major ones I can think of (National, Avis, Hertz, etc.) are on site and directly across the street from the baggage claim area.

bnme
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
That's what I would do (bring no seat).

You can't use the seat on the Magical Express.

The only time I've had a 2yo on a plane (and not older or younger) I did bring my RA. But we had a rental car.

belovedgandp
07-14-2009, 03:11 PM
We went almost two years ago when my boys were 3 1/2 and 3 months. We did not bring a seat for my 3 1/2 year old. The Magical Express transportation from the airport and then the shuttles on property don't have seatbelts.

My older son did fine sitting still on the plane. We still had the infant carrier for the baby.

Whenever we have traveled and rented a car, I have brought their seats to use on the plane and in the car, but with only doing Disney it wasn't worth it on that trip.

Octobermommy
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I hear ya, it definitely feels like cheating. We are taking our almost 2 yr old and 5 yr old in a few months and won't be bringing any car seats. We only take Disney transportation and no car seats are allowed. Enjoy the break.

billysmommy
07-14-2009, 05:01 PM
We went in January when the boys were 5.5 and 2.5 and didn't bring seats. If you're staying on property and using the Magical Express there's no place to use them. The boys both did great just sitting in the regular seats on the plane and it was absolutely wonderful not to have to lug them around the airport!!!

sarahsthreads
07-15-2009, 12:50 PM
No. They are large buses (think Greyhound) and have no seatbelts.

And FYI, many rental car places are right on site at the Orlando airport and for those there is no need to get on a bus. The major ones I can think of (National, Avis, Hertz, etc.) are on site and directly across the street from the baggage claim area.

Yeah, I'm sure DH just picked the cheapest place, which also happened to be a 15-20 minute bus ride from the airport. Sigh.

sarahsthreads
07-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks all, it's really helpful to know what kind of transportation it will be. I'm actually sort of excited at the prospect of flying with kids knowing that I don't have to take carseats! :)

(Plus I'm getting excited about Disney of course!)

Sarah :)