PDA

View Full Version : Blogging

BabyMine
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I would like to start a blog about our family. I am nervous about doing it becasue of all the personal information I would like to put on it. I am mostly scared about my children and their pictures or information about them.

If you blog what types of information do you include or exclude?

cdlamis
07-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Jenn,
You can start a blog on blogspot.com (what I use) and make it private. Only those that you personally invite can see your blog.
Have fun! I love blogging!

MamaMolly
07-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Some blogs I love to follow uses the photos that don't include the child's face, so all those shots when DC's are turned away or have an arm covering them can finally be put to use! :)

For a blog open to the public, I also wouldn't include my DC's name, maybe just an initial or a made up nick name like Turtle or Bunny, and no dates like actual birthdates. No info about where you live other than maybe the country or state.

And just be smart about the photos you share, like no bathtub shots or anything where the drawers show. There are a lot of evil people out there, sadly.

Sillygirl
07-14-2009, 12:08 PM
We pay about $15 a year for our own domain name, then use the Blogger template. It doesn't show up on google search or anywhere else. Then we just tell friends the address. Still, it has links to our smugmug site, so I never mention our plans for going out of town. And I agree that I don't take, much less post, diaper pictures, etc.

KrisM
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
We pay about $15 a year for our own domain name, then use the Blogger template. It doesn't show up on google search or anywhere else. Then we just tell friends the address. Still, it has links to our smugmug site, so I never mention our plans for going out of town. And I agree that I don't take, much less post, diaper pictures, etc.

Be aware that if someone does find your site/domain, they can get your address and phone number.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Be aware that if someone does find your site/domain, they can get your address and phone number.

You can pay a few extra dollars to have your info excluded from whois.

KrisM
07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
You can pay a few extra dollars to have your info excluded from whois.

True, but I don't think a lot of people know that and I don't think a lot of people realize their info can be given out.

Sillygirl
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
We registered it through DH's work address, but good to point out to others.

Swimfreak78
07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
We have a private PW protected site through blogger. That works well for us.

BabyMine
07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Thank-you for the wonderful advice. I feel better about starting one. Looks like I have plans for this weekend.