PDA

View Full Version : Boarding a "new" rescue dog

toby
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes, it's me again, the poster who is getting the rescue dog at the end of the month. I feel a bit silly for asking so many questions, but everyone has been SO helpful. Thank you!

I am stressing out about a situation more than I should and I need some advice. I can't talk to DH about it because, although he is mostly o.k. with getting a dog, he is clueless about them. My primary concern is making sure that the dog, "Sally" (DS's choice!) has as smooth a transition as possible.

We will get Sally on 7/30 and then go on vacation 3 weeks later (Fri 8/21-Sun 8/30). DH was going to be with us for a majority of the time, but now because of work, he will just be staying 4 nights. Although I have a wonderful pet sitter, DS will be at home for most of the week so... 1) pet sitter wouldn't be here during that time 2) DS can't take care of the dog-- as I said, he is clueless and I think that it would just be a disaster (I am annoyed that I even have this problem-- how can I have a husband who can't even take care of a dog for a few days?)

The best plan that I can come up with is to have the pet sitter at the house Friday-Sunday and then take Sally to the boarding place on Monday (this is a doggie day care also, so she will be out playing with other dogs from 7:30 am-7:30 pm and then in a little room/kennel for the night). She would be there Mon-Fri (5 nights); our pet sitter would then pick her up on Saturday and spend the night here. We will be back on Sunday.

Even though the boarding place is nice and she will be out playing a lot, I am worried that it will be confusing/upsetting for her since she won't have been with us for that long.

Maybe DH should just stay at a hotel for the week :wink2:

Momof3Labs
07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Can you "board" her at the rescue place for a generous donation? Even leaving her home alone with a pet sitter visiting a few times a day may throw her off, especially since you said she wasn't yet housebroken. Or is the pet sitter staying in your home full time while you are gone (that is probably the best option), except for the change in DH's plans.

Snow mom
07-14-2009, 02:21 PM
One solution might be to see if the foster parent of the new dog is able to watch the dog for the week. We've done this before in certain circumstances. You could also just ask the rescue what they think would make the dog most comfortable during your absence. My childhood dog was a pound rescue with a long history at the pound (spent over a year there and was adopted and returned twice) and he really couldn't comfortably be boarded. I think he equated it with being returned to the pound :( Every dog is different so getting some insight from the rescue group would be good.

toby
07-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Actually, when we were first talking about adopting the dog, the rescue owner very generously offered to board her while we were on vacation. She thought that we should do this if we couldn't get a pet sitter for the whole time.

But, then when I was talking to a trainer here, she thought that taking the dog back to the rescue would be very confusing for her especially since she has bonded with the rescue owner. Maybe I need to stop asking for people's opinions!! :irked:

The pet sitter would be able to be at the house a lot (I told her that I didn't want Sally to be in the crate for more than 2-3 hours during the day).

For what its worth, she seems to have surprisingly high spirits at the rescue place even though she is in a kennel. She has been there for about 4 months and the owner has nursed her through a bunch of illnesses. We brought her bones the last time and the owner emailed me that she spends lots of time throwing the bones up in the air and pouncing on them!

So, I guess that my choices are:
1) petsitter, then 5 nights at the doggie daycare/boarding place OR
2) 10 nights at the rescue place?

Thanks...

Radosti
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Take her back to the rescue for the time you need her boarded. I've had foster dogs come back for a week or two and they've never been confused. It was like they were coming back to visit an old friend, but they always knew who their family was.

Momof3Labs
07-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Is this the same trainer who advised strongly against using a crate? If so, that trainer is 0 for 2 in my book...

I think that having the rescuer take her back for the week will be the least upsetting for her. At least she'll be with someone who she is bonded with, who understands her and can care for her properly. And she won't be alone nearly as much as with the pet sitter.

toby
07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Is this the same trainer who advised strongly against using a crate? If so, that trainer is 0 for 2 in my book...
:ROTFLMAO:
Actually, it was...guess that I won't be listening to her anymore!

Thanks for the advice- I will talk to the rescue owner about keeping her (She has been so kind and I already gave her a donation, but will give her another one).

One last worry: I will be working hard on house-breaking/crate training during the 3 weeks that we have her. Then, she will have to go to the bathroom in the kennel for 10 days. I guess that it can't be helped, but I hope that it won't be a major set-back.

Snow mom
07-14-2009, 09:36 PM
One last worry: I will be working hard on house-breaking/crate training during the 3 weeks that we have her. Then, she will have to go to the bathroom in the kennel for 10 days. I guess that it can't be helped, but I hope that it won't be a major set-back.

I think it will be fine to have her at the kennel and that she won't be confused or anything of that nature. Honestly, I doubt it will be that tough to house break her. Adult dogs are generally pretty quick studies. Crate training might be a bit more difficult. Just keep it a really positive, fun place to be.

newg
07-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I agree with PP about letting her stay with foster/rescue family......our greyhound group does this as well......we have babysat for other greyhound families...one family only had their dog for a month before we watched her for a week......she was fine in our house and was very happy to see her family when they came for her.........as PP mentioned...the rescue/foster family will know how to take care of her the best, as a rescue dog!!!

Maybe ask if there is any way they can try to continue the "potty" schedule you will have for her.....offering more of a "donation" or something........being let out 3-4 times a day should not be too big a deal........that is what typical boarding places do......if not you'll just have to jump back on trainig her right away as soon as you get back in town