PDA

View Full Version : how big is too big for vaginal delivery?

Melarina
07-14-2009, 09:39 PM
At today's biophysical profile DS had turned out of the breech position and was finally headed south at 34 weeks -- whoo hoo! Of course, he could still turn back, but I was glad to see that there might still be a possibility of a vaginal delivery.

What I'm wondering is this: at what point might my doctors decide that he is measuring so large that they would prefer to do a c-section? There was a brief reference made to this possibility today, but more of a wait and we'll see how he measures.

Because of my gestational diabetes, plus his very large head size according to various ultrasounds, I can see this becoming a concern and wondered what others have experienced in this situation.

A couple of other things worth noting in my case: DD was induced right at 38 weeks because they thought she would be very large, but she was only 7 lbs 2 ounces. I suffered severe postpartum hemorrhage after her delivery and needed 8 units of blood. The PPH was not ever explained despite various tests, and we are hoping that with interventions we can avoid or minimize the hemorrhage this time around.

So, my questions are:
Have you had a doctor encourage a c-section rather than vaginal delivery because of the baby's estimated size?

Have you delivered a large baby vaginally, and if so, were you glad you went that route?

If you experienced a postpartum hemorrhage, was it following a vaginal or c-section delivery?

Thanks so much for any insight into these questions that you can offer. I really appreciate it!

schums
07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I had a 10 lb 9.5 ounce baby that was delivered vaginally. The docs had originally thought he would be about 9 pounds. No mention was made of a c-section at that time. However, after I delivered DS, the doc said that she thought he was the largest baby she'd ever delivered vaginally. In addition to the high weight, he was almost 24" long and had a shoulder circumference of 17". Big kid all around.

As for being happy I went that route, I guess I am. DD was almost as big weight wise (10 lb 8oz) but was shorter and had smaller shoulders. She was an unstable breech (kept flipping, at 38 weeks, 39 weeks, in the hospital waiting for the OR) so they did a c. My c was an easier recovery, but they induced with DS and I was in HARD labor for 22 hours. I don't put a particular value on how DC were born, just that they were OK.

HTH!

bethie_73
07-14-2009, 09:49 PM
DS was 9lbs 13oz and a vaginal delivery. (also 22.5 in long) I did end up needing an episiotomy and a vacuum delivery. But I walked myself to the recovery room. I was not asked about a c-section, honestly though they thought DS was going to be an average size baby :ROTFLMAO:

It was painful, but I was glad on the short recovery time.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
How big is too big? Impossible to know. It is something no one can tell you as a generalization and not something someone can look you over and decide. The only way CPD (baby too big to fit) can be diagnosed is through a good trial of labor.

I was with a midwife practice with ds2. All along they thought he was going to be big. At 41w I went in for a BPP and they also estimated his size. They estimated it to be 9lbs 2oz. The midwife the day before estimated around 9lbs. There was no talk at all about inducing or doing a c-section.

During labor, which started the day after that BPP, my midwife came and sat at the edge of the tub and simply said that we were expecting a larger baby, explained some possible complications and then said how they would handle things. She ran through some positions we might try, if necessary, for delivery. That was it. She told me she felt confident that I could do it but she knew I needed to know what the complications could be.

Ds2 was 9lbs 9oz. I had a quick, easy birth with no complications at all. Slight tear but it was no big deal. I felt so proud of myself because I always told people that your body can deliver the baby you made provided it is well positioned and labor isn't messed with but I got to really live that. I am only 5'2" and small framed. I am sure with a different practice someone would have brought up intervening b/c of his size. Instead, I was met with nothing but calm confidence. I am sure their attitude and mine made things as good as they were.

I wouldn't voluntarily have a c-section for a size guesstimate. I also wouldn't induce for a size guesstimate. I wrote this up for my old labor board. First, I know you have GD there could be a legitimate size concern but I still wouldn't intervene. Yo never know what you'll be capable of. :)

Inducing for size has really become a common occurrence. But it is not an exact science. And inductions can increase the risk of a c-section.

Barring a medical concern like Gestational Diabetes then the odds are in your favor that you will deliver a baby that is just the right size for your body. It might take a bit more effort on your part and your care provider's but a large baby does not have to turn into an emergency if handled well.

True CPD can only be diagnosed following a fair trial of labor and delivery. The real rate of CPD is 3-5%. Many more moms are diagnosed with CPD. Many times it is more a Failure to Progress (or failure to wait or try new positions).

Fundal Height Measurements
1. In your pregnancy, if your due dates are pretty accurate then your fundal height and week of gestation should match up beginning around 20-22 weeks.
2. A few readings here and there that do not match should not be a cause for concern. If they are consistently off then further consideration should be taken.
3. Measurements can fluctuate for a variety of reasons:
-Baby's position
-Baby's position within your uterus (ex. if baby has dropped then the fundal height might be lower than in previous weeks)
-Amount of amniotic fluid
-Growth spurts can affect some readings. Not all babies grow at exactly the same rate. Things usually even back out.
-Due date discrepancies. If the fundal height has always been off then this might be something to address. The most accurate edd is derived from Last Menstrual Period. Second most reliable is a first trimester u/s. Any u/s beyond the 1st trimester is not accurate enough to date the pregnancy. Each trimester that goes by, accuracy falls off dramatically (8 days in the 2nd trimester and 22 days in the 3rd according to one study).
-Uterine Growth Retardation
-Other rare complications

"My Baby is just going to get to be too big if I continue the pregnancy"
-Babies do continue to grow as the pregnancy continues. But, where the baby will grow is another story.
-Babies gain about .5lbs per week.
-Baby could actually get longer, not necessarily heavier.
-That .5lbs isn't guaranteed to end up on baby's head or shoulders. Odds are good that it will get evenly distributed to places that aren't going to be a major factor in delivery (like on their feet, on their calves, their arms...).

The Accuracy of Ultrasounds for sizing the pregnancy
-In the 3rd trimester the margin of error is +/-2lbs.
-You will always find people whose results were dead on. But you will also find people whose tests were really, really far off. Base decisions on facts, not anecdotes.
-The skill of the person doing the u/s and the equipment used can play a role in the accuracy of the test.
-Even if you have been having u/s weekly to measure growth, the results could still be off.
-There are many Dr.s and midwives who will not do a 3rd trimester u/s to check the baby's size. Mine was one who said that they are too unreliable (which was a major surprise b/c he was very heavy into interventions!). Just hold that in your mind that if you were with a dif't care provider this issue of size might never be brought up.

The Importance of Position
1. A poorly positioned 6lb baby can have a hard delivery. A well positioned 10lb baby can slide right out.
2. Position is very important. This issue is often neglected but it is very important and you have a lot of control over this situation (and little over baby's size). Many c-sections today are based on Failure to Progress and some of those are directly related to baby's position. A poorly positioned baby can make for a longer labor. Labor might also stall as baby slowly makes progress. Delivery, particularly of a posterior baby, can be a slow affair.
3. There are many things that you can do to help this situation.
-Before the baby comes, spend time on your hands and knees. Do pelvic tilts. Sit Indian style. No squats! Use a birthing ball. Stand up and pretend that you are using a hula hoop to help shimmy baby into a good position. Climb stairs. Keep on walking!
-When you are in labor, do the things listed above.
-When you are in labor stay out of bed as much as you can! Even if you are in a situation that requires continuous monitoring, you can still use a birthing ball or change positions. Ask for a telemetry monitor or longer cables for the external monitor (just ask, it can't hurt).
-Once an hour, get up to use the bathroom. The walk to the bathroom can help the baby descend nicely into the pelvis. Squatting to use the toilet is a good labor position. Emptying your bladder can make more room for the baby to come down.
-If your labor stalls focus on *position* before reaching for the pitocin or rupturing the amniotic sac. Get out of bed if labor stalls. Great things can happen!
-Hold of on breaking the amniotic sac. When it is broken the baby can be thrust into the pelvis at a bad angle. They can wedge themselves in a way that makes it harder for you to move them. With the amniotic sac in place it makes it easier for the baby to float into a good position.
-Don't deliver on your back with legs in stirrups!! This constricts your pelvic bones and narrows the baby's passage. Think upright, like squatting or all 4s. If delivery is slow then before consenting to a c-section, episiotomy or assisted delivery try a new position (provided all is well with you and baby).
-It is OK for pushing to take a long time!!! The American College of OB/ Gyns has no problems with it taking 3+ hours. Some Dr.s and midwives give you far less time with that. For no good reason. Stand up for yourself.

If you already think that the baby is going to be too big, that can really affect the outcome
-If labor stalls or is slow (which is OK!!) and someone hints that it is probably because the baby is too big for your body then you will probably believe them. No effort will be made on any front to work on position.
-If delivery is taking a while, you are more inclined to face an intervention if the thought is already in everyone's mind that the baby will be big.
-If size hadn't been brought up then that could change the outcome.

Your body is capable of amazing things with regards to childbirth. Have faith in it.
"Q: My doctor told me my pelvis is too small to vaginally deliver a baby over eight pounds. Is this true?
A: No, the pelvis and the baby's head are not fixed bone structures. During labor the pelvis opens, allowing room for the baby, whose head molds to fit. The pelvis will actually open up 33% larger than it's pre-pregnant size with a squatting position. There are several factors that contribute to this. First a hormone called relaxin is released during the latter part of pregnancy which soften the ligaments and cartilage surrounding the pelvis. Also different positions assumed during labor will change the dimensions of the pelvis such as walking, climbing stairs and squatting. This combined with the flexibility of the baby's head gives ample room for babies to move through the pelvis. The baby's head is made up of five plates that are connected with soft tissues that allow it to mold during the birth process as the baby travels through the pelvis. These bones return to their pre-birth state within hours of birth."
http://www.ican-online.org/resources/faqs.htm

If my baby gets too big then they could get stuck (shoulder dystocia)
-Shoulder dystocia is very scary. But, it can not be predicted ahead of time.
-Shoulder dystocia is a complication where baby’s shoulder(s) get stuck after the head is already out. It happens in about 1% of births.
-Contrary to popular sentiment, babies of all sizes are prone to shoulder dystocia. More than 25-50% of shoulder dystocia cases are for babies of small or average size. (This is one of the many reasons that I emphasize the importance of position).
-“Approximately 2-3 or every 1000 newborns” will be affected by an injury from shoulder dystocia called Brachial Plexus. Of the babies born with shoulder dystocia there is approximately a 30% chance of baby sustaining this birth injury.
-There was a 7 year study conducted that tried to determine the main cause(s) of shoulder dystocia. The study reviewed more than 100,000 births so it is pretty statistically significant. It found that size was not the leading factor of s.d.. The top 3 contributors to s.d. were Epidurals, Inductions and Forceps. http://www.ncbi.nlm......&list_uids=12648177&dopt=Abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=126481 77&dopt=Abstract)
-Your care provider’s skills and expertise with regards to shoulder dystocia can make all the difference in the world to how you and baby do. I suggest talking to your Dr. or midwife about how they would handle a shoulder dystocia. These are several options, the Gaskin Maneuver coined for the famous midwife Ina May Gaskin and her record for handling s.d. with this method is very successful:
• “Suprapubic Pressure: This pressure is at the pubic bone, not at the top of the uterus. This might allow the shoulder enough room to move under the pubis symphysis.
• Gaskin Maneuver: Get the woman into a hands and knees position. This will also change the diameters of her pelvis, though is not always possible with epidural anesthesia.
• McRobert's Maneuver: Flex the mother's legs toward her shoulders as she lays on her back, thus expanding the pelvic outlet. One study showed that this alleviated 42% of all cases of shoulder dystocia.
• Woods Maneuver: This is also known as the corkscrew, the attendant tries to turn the shoulder of the baby by placing fingers behind the shoulder and pushing in 180 degrees.
• Rubin Maneuver: Like the Woods maneuver, two fingers are placed behind the baby's shoulder, this time they are pushing in the directions of the baby's eyes, to line up the shoulders.
• Zavanelli Maneuver: Pushing the baby's head back inside the vagina and doing a cesarean. This is the mostly frequently asked about method, but also one of the most dangerous.” http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/laborbirth/a/aa081801a.htm
-The position that you birth in matters with regards to s.d. The lithotomy position (legs in stirrups, mom on her back) is more likely to cause s.d. because it constricts the sacrum and pelvic bones. Baby has a harder time descending.
How inducing for size increases the C-Section rate. The Cascade of Interventions.
-Some hospitals still don't let you eat and drink in labor. This can affect you physically as you might feel worse (light headed...) and you might begin to loose the energy necessary for delivery.
-You will usually require continuous monitoring. If your hospital doesn't have telemetry units then that means you are tethered to the machine. You can still change positions, use a rocking chair, bounce on a birthing ball but it is a little less convenient.
-If you let them break your water there is a good chance that baby could wind up in a bad position (sideways, backwards) and that will make things harder. Plus you are on the c-section clock b/c of the infection risk.
-Pitocin contractions are not natural. They can never entirely mimic oxytocin. There is no real gradual build up- more like hit you over the head. This can make the contractions harder for you and baby. This increases the likelihood that you will use an epidural (which is fine but it can impact the progression of labor).
-If you have an epidural then your options with regards to delivery are usually limited unless you turn it off for pushing (it still takes a while for it to wear off). The best delivery positions for any baby, especially a larger one, include squatting and hands and knees. Very hard to do with an epidural in place. You can request that it be turned down or off for the pushing stage.

Well, this was me playing Devil's Advocate to just point out some issues with inducing for size. Take it for what it is, one person's well researched opinion. Use it as a staring point for your person research and talking points with your Dr. or midwife. Make the decision that feels best for you. But, please make it an Informed Decision. http://bbs.babycenter.com/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Beth

Melarina
07-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you so much for all this information!

carolinamama
07-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I delivered an 11lb 3 oz, 23 in baby vaginally last year. He popped out much faster than my 7 lb 14 oz son, but he wasn't a first baby. I am probably going to be the voice of dissent - the recovery sucked and so do the ensuing issues. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have gladly gone for the c-section. Episiotomy, BAD tears. Maybe all this stuff would have happened anyway if he had been smaller, who knows. My OB estimated a large baby ("maybe even 9 lbs"). I didn't have an u/s past 18 weeks as everything looked good clinically. A midwife did my delivery and she was awesome. I don't know what is too big, but as long as I get my healthy baby at the end, I'm a happy mama.

Melarina
07-14-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree -- I want to do what is safest for the baby, it doesn't matter to me ultimately which way he comes out :) I appreciate your sharing your experience with me.

pb&j
07-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I am pretty petite (5'2" and 120 lbs) and had an 8lb 5oz baby vaginally, no sweat. I had gestational diabetes (mild/borderline) during that pg.

But, my mom was about my size when she had me (vaginally) - I was 10lbs. Apparently, I was a much easier birth than my sister, who was not quite 9 lbs. Go figure.

I always get a chuckle about people talking about "big" 8 lb babies.

buddyleebaby
07-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't do a c-section because of concerns about the baby's size. Their estimates are often inaccurate (as you saw with your dd). DD1 was estimated to be nine pounds and she was 7 lb, 9 oz.
DS was ten pounds and he was honestly the easiest of all my deliveries. One push and he was out, no tears.
However, if I had a history of PPH with no known cause AND my Doctor(s) felt that I was at risk for it again, I would seriously consider a c-section, regardless of the baby's size.
Good Luck! Wishing you happy and healthy birthing, whatever you decide.

specialp
07-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I delivered an 11lb 3 oz, 23 in baby vaginally last year.

Wow. :47:

justlearning
07-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Melarina, great to hear that your baby flipped!

My first child was 10lbs 13 oz (22" long) and I delivered vaginally with no problems--going up and down our stairs and back at work visiting my colleagues a couple of days later.

My friend also delivered a baby the exact same size as mine vaginally without problems. My mom and mother in-law both delivered boys vaginally who were 10 lbs. 9 oz and 10 lbs 12 oz.

But only your doctors will be able to advise you what's best in your situation.

Wow, carolinamama! Everyone thought my baby was huge but your baby's stats blew mine out of the water! :) Kudos to you! Almost none of my son's 0-3 months that we had received as gifts fit him when he was born and I'm guessing yours was the same way.

ETA that I just skimmed the info in Beth's thread and it sounds like I had two things going for me--we had no idea that my baby would be so big (so I wasn't nervous about it) and I was already dilated to 7cm when we got to the hospital. I had been on my foot cooking meals to freeze the whole day so I think that helped labor progress quickly. Also, to address what Stephanie said, I'm 5'9" with wide hips so my size probably helped too.

Staraglimmer
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
DD was 9 lbs 1 oz. After 22 hours of labor, my Dr. announced that she wouldn't fit. I think that a lot of it depends not just on the size of your baby, but on your size as well. I think she might have fit, but the Dr. was afraid that one of us might get hurt. I;d trust your Dr.'s opinion. Honestly if I had another big baby, I'd opt for the c-section. As much as I hated the c, few things are worse than going through most of both. I also know very small people who have had very very big babies vaginally. I know, not great advice, but if YOU feel like the baby is too big, then go for the section. If you think you Can do it and your Dr. does too, then go for it! Good luck!

kijip
07-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I was well over 10 pounds and 23 inches at birth and my mom delivered me vaginally after a short labor. So short, they did not make it out of the car once they got to the hospital. I was born in the car! While my mother was not a small person (6 feet tall), I have known small women who delivered large babies just fine.

Also, size estimates are WAY inaccurate and usually inflated. We were expecting a BIG baby with T, based off of the doctor's estimate but he was around 9 pounds. So not small, but not particularly large.

MommyAllison
07-14-2009, 10:35 PM
A friend of mine hemorrhaged after her first DC, which ended up being a c section after laboring for 24ish hours. She had a transfusion. She's had 2 (scheduled) c sections since then with no problems. I don't recall if they ever figured out why she hemorrhaged that first time.

ETA: Just remembered that she was induced with her first DC - she was 42+ weeks.

JBaxter
07-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Jack was 10lb1oz w/ a 15 1/2in head and 22 3/4 in long. I was induced 5 days post date I pushed 3 times.

Fairy
07-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I delivered an 11lb 3 oz, 23 in baby vaginally last year.

Oh. Mygod.

Indianamom2
07-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Holy Moly....some of these baby weights/lengths are just amazing! Makes me feel better about my possibly 8 lb 11 oz guy!

Very interesting....
Christina

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh, your q about hemorrhage...
2 of my friends have had this happen. Both of them had it happen in 2 of their births. The one friend had it happen with #3 and #4. Those births were spontaneous, no pitocin used during the births, no interventions and no pain meds. The other friend had it happen with #1 and #2. Same as above, no pitocin, no interventions, no pain meds.

There is research that says that being induced increases the risk of hemorrhage because more blood flows to the uterus than would naturally. The drugs might bring on stronger, longer, and/ or closer together contractions than your body might have done otherwise and thus more blood might make it's way down to your uterus. I have links about that somewhere if you want me to dig them up. It was a theory and it makes sense to me but I am not sure it is something a total conclusion could be made from.

Beth

Cam&Clay
07-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I am small framed and 5'2". I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. With DS1, I went into labor at 35 weeks, so size wasn't considered. He was 7 lbs. 1 oz. and tore me up. I had a 3rd degree episiotomy and tore to the 4th degree. Recovery from that delivery was the hardest part.

Fast forward nine years to DS2. I'm diabetic again and they are predicting a HUGE baby. I had weekly u/s and kept hearing about my HUGE baby. I went into labor at 38 weeks being told I would most likely need a c-section because of what happened last time. I pushed him out in 1 and a half pushes. My huge baby weighed 6 lbs. 15 oz.

The lesson is that it depends on so many things. Their estimates can be WAY off...and second babies slide out a whole lot easier!

southern_kali_gurl
07-15-2009, 01:00 AM
My third was 11lbs 2 oz born vaginally. I tore a bit but recovery was no problem for me. We had no idea she was going to be so big. My dr thought she would be 9lbs and he never mentioned anything about a c-section.

Tondi G
07-15-2009, 01:34 AM
just wanted to chime in to say ya'll delivering BIG babies vaginally are my hero! I had 2 peanuts (vaginally/unmedicated) compared to yours and it was hard work on my part.. I can't even imagine a 9 or 10 or 11 lb baby! WOW!

rwiklendt
07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I was told by a neo-natal nurse a while back that it has more to do with your body being ready to deliver and truely being full term than the size of the baby. I thought my DC would never come out (1 and 2 weeks past due dates) and had pretty easy deliveries (8 and 9 pounds).

brittone2
07-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Back in the day they used to take measurements of a woman's pelvis, etc. to try to figure out if a baby would "fit". Obviously, that didn't take into account that some people have more flexible ligaments, etc. allowing more give.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, and like several other PPs, I'd be wary of anyone trying to predict too much from an ultrasound, which is notoriously inaccurate for measuring size/weight.

I have had two 8lb 4 oz babies, which is nothing in comparison to the size of some of the babies on here!! I am 5'2" and relatively small framed though. BOth of my babies were unmedicated vaginal deliveries. Tiny tear with DS's birth (like 2 stitches needed...no biggie) and no tearing at all with DD's birth.

Many hospitals also don't provide enough encouragement or opportunity for alternative birthing positions which can help bring a bigger baby down IMO. Pushing on your back basically requires the baby to try to go up and over your sacrum, which is like a speedbump when you are on your back. It certainly doesn't help to have to push a baby out uphill against gravity to get it up and over your sacrum.

Here's a little blip:
http://www.ican-online.org/pregnancy/pushing-positions

egoldber
07-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Also, baby's position plays a big role. A larger, but well positioned, baby can be much easier to deliver than a smaller, but less optimally positioned, baby.

scrooks
07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm an averaged size (5'5") and I ended up with a C-section with my 8 lb 7 oz DD. I agree with what others are saying. A lot of it can be position. She was face up and just not coming through the birth canal correctly. I pushed for an hour and a half and she was not moving one bit. Its funny to think that her stubbornness started at birth! :ROTFLMAO:

Oh and this was on my due date...so she was full term and ready to go!

m4nash
07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
My mom delivered all four of us vaginally with minimal tearing for the larger two. My brothers were 12 lbs 6 oz, 11 lbs 2 oz, and 9 lbs 13 oz. I was the smallest baby at 8 lbs 13 oz. My mom is only 5'5", so not really big.

Melarina
07-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks, everyone! What a lot of helpful information and perspective.

I have to say, I am impressed reading about all these births -- you mamas are amazing!

aa2mama
07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Also, baby's position plays a big role. A larger, but well positioned, baby can be much easier to deliver than a smaller, but less optimally positioned, baby.

:yeahthat: DS was positioned sunny side up, and I had a difficult labor (18+ hrs) with him even though he was only 6lbs11ozs. DD was bigger than him, but she was positioned correctly and it made a world of difference.

american_mama
07-18-2009, 03:57 PM
>> DD was induced right at 38 weeks because they thought she would be very large, but she was only 7 lbs 2 ounces. I suffered severe postpartum hemorrhage after her delivery and needed 8 units of blood.
... If you experienced a postpartum hemorrhage, was it following a vaginal or c-section delivery?

A friend of mine had a PPH and required 2 or 3 transfusions, plus was being prepped in the OR for an emergency hysterectomy before the bleeding slowed. She and her husband were terrified. Her ob thinks the cause was placenta accreta, although a mistake was made and the placenta was never tested as the doctor had ordered, so they don't know for sure. She had an epidural but I don't think was induced; for whatever reason, her ob also did a manual removal of the placenta after which the hemorrhage started at some point. I personally wonder about a link there, but really don't know any details.

My friend is struggling with whether to have a third child, in part due to her fear of what will happen during childbirth. Her other labor experience was also very tough, although not due to hemorrhage. She is doing or might do the following things: a consultation with her ob (they already had one right after the birth, but this would be another one), a second opinion, discussions with her existing therapist about the emotional issues, discussion with ob of pros and cons of a c section, having blood for her ready to go in the room during delivery. And I assume they would pursue any additional testing during pregnancy to see if she had placenta accreta.

I also suggested she ask her OB to address her emotional concerns. I don't think an OB will be a pro at that, but if the response is a bit of a "Don't worry, it's so unlikely, we can handle it but chances are nothing will happen," well, a bored respond by your doctor might actually be more reassuring in this situation than the most sensitive answer.

ast96
07-18-2009, 04:24 PM
My first baby was 8 lbs 13 oz. at 39 weeks, and I was induced. He was estimated to be 8.5 pounds the day before. I hemorrhaged PP, and it was due to my uterus being so overtired. Pitocin and hemabate stopped the bleeding and I did not need a transfusion, but I was close. Two episiotomies and a tear. He was sunny side up.

My second baby was 8 lbs 9 oz at 37 weeks. No hemorrhage. One episiotomy.

My third was 9 lbs 6 oz. at 38w. He was estimated to be 9 lbs. 2 oz three days beforehand by ultrasound. Just tore through an old episiotomy scar.

I think you should try, but be prepared for a C just in case. I think the key is to be openminded and focused on a healthy baby and a healthy mama.

My first recovery was terrible, by the way, but my first baby h ad the biggest head (15.25). Second had a 14.25 head, third a 14.75 head. Whew.