PDA

View Full Version : what would you pay someone for painting??

lizajane
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
a friend, who loves to paint, painted my downstairs den-like room. she did the walls and trim for the room and going up the stairs. she is not a professional, but does a really great, clean job. i paid for the paint. the room is not big- enough room for a sofa, TV, toy shelf, one chair.

anyone gotten an estimate lately??

the friend is not comfortable coming up with a price. i need to be careful with my budget, but i want to give her what she deserves.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2009, 10:28 PM
I got estimates for around $400/ room (somewhere in there, maybe it was $300?). I know that seeing the number made me decide to just do it myself. ;)

Beth

lizajane
07-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I got estimates for around $400/ room (somewhere in there, maybe it was $300?). I know that seeing the number made me decide to just do it myself. ;)

Beth

great info! i was thinking the professional estimates were around $400, so i might give her $300.

i would have done it myself... i started to... that was more than a year ago. i had the paint for about 3 years.

plus, this was a really easy way to help out a friend without embarrassing her.

JMS
07-14-2009, 10:34 PM
How long did it take her? I have a painter I have used for years... sometimes he charges me by the job, sometimes by the hour. Regardless, I always think I'm getting a discounted rate from him (many reasons why) and a bargain as well. He charges me $25/hr or for a medium sized bedroom (all trim, doors, walls, probably not ceiling), it would probably be in the $300ish range, IIRC.

amldaley
07-14-2009, 10:37 PM
I am not too far from you (near Camp Lejeune/Topsail) and we have folks here who do that for $100. When we moved in, I had about 1400 square feet of our house (with cathedral ceilings in most areas, so veerrry big walls) painted for about $1600. That was May, 2007.

I think $300 for one small room is A LOT in eastern NC.

lizajane
07-14-2009, 10:39 PM
I am not too far from you (near Camp Lejeune/Topsail) and we have folks here who do that for $100. When we moved in, I had about 1400 square feet of our house (with cathedral ceilings in most areas, so veerrry big walls) painted for about $1600. That was May, 2007.

I think $300 for one small room is A LOT in eastern NC.

i do think that raleigh is more expensive than eastern NC. for example, i bet you don't have to pay babysitters $10-$12/hour!

amldaley
07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
i do think that raleigh is more expensive than eastern NC. for example, i bet you don't have to pay babysitters $10-$12/hour!

I don't know...we have never left dd with a sitter! I am so ridiculously paranoid. She stayed a few hours during the day with a friend when I very first started back to work and she went to "Parents Night Out" at daycare once. I think most sitters here start around $6 an hour and more like $9 per hour if you get someone CPR trained, Red Cross certfied, etc. There are people who do it here for less, but I wouldn't leave my kid with them.

I didn't mean that Raleigh would be *as* non-expensive as the beach, but certainly Raleigh will be less expensive than someone from up in DC or New England or the West Coast, etc.

Also, the $1400 job that I had done 2 years ago was a company from Wilmington and they travel all around the area. But, yes, the $100 per room folks are surely beach folk.

lfp2n
07-14-2009, 11:09 PM
In 2003 we paid $2000 for someone to do the whole house (small-3 beds, 2 living rooms and bathroom, so 6 rooms) ceiling, walls and trim for $2000. They drove from Lynchburg so were cheaper than the local Cville guys who never had time. I think $2-300 is reasonable.

kransden
07-15-2009, 01:39 AM
I paid $100 a day cash. People need work here though.

MartiesMom2B
07-15-2009, 08:34 AM

I paid $250 for my living room.