PDA

View Full Version : Xylitol prevents cavities

DrSally
07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.babycenter.com/204_sugar-substitute-may-prevent-early-childhood-cavities_10316053.bc?scid=preschooler_20090714:5&pe=d5bDqp

I know Brittone2 has brought this up many times before, but this seems to be a new study confirming the benefits for young chidren. The baby toothpaste we use has some Xylitol in it, but not a lot, I'm sure.

Jacksmommy2b
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
We buy a xylitol toothpaste for J and also give him xylitol mints. (which I have to hide, because he loves them and will eat the whole tin if he finds them :)

His pediatric dentist rec'ed it to us and so far J is still cavity free so I guess it helps :)

frgsnlzrds
07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
My friend, who works in a dentist's office recommended this site: http://www.zellies.com/ .

The fruity mints are fabulous!

mommylamb
07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
We buy a xylitol toothpaste for J and also give him xylitol mints. (which I have to hide, because he loves them and will eat the whole tin if he finds them :)

His pediatric dentist rec'ed it to us and so far J is still cavity free so I guess it helps :)

Are those (mints and toothpaste) available everywhere, or is this something I'll need to search for?

billysmommy
07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
FIL is a dentist and keeps us well supplied with Spry, a xylitol chewing gum

MamaMolly
07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I get Spry at WF, and my dentist has Xylotol lollipops. I wish I know where to get those!

DrSally
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Cool! I've never been able to find Spry in a store, but my Whole foods is really inconvenient. Xylitol lollipops, wow, I wish I could find those too. So, the mints, are they chewy or somthing hard that would be a choking hazard for a 3 yo?

ETA: Dena, which brand toothpaste and mints do you buy?

brittone2
07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I've seen Spry gum (I think the toothpaste too) at VitaminShoppe. Trader Joe's carries a fennel toothpaste (fluoride free) with xylitol in it...quite affordable ($2?). For those w/ really young kids, Spry makes a clear, lightly cherry flavored gel that is an "infant tooth gel" which is nice (I haven't needed this for my kids for a long time so I'm not sure what brick and mortar stores carry it. Back then we always ordered it online along w/ regular Spry toothpaste for the adults) . eta: and fwiw, the spry "fruit" flavored gum is like juicy fruit, so good for kids who don't like stronger minty flavors.

Another brand we've used before is Epic.

Just another reminder: if you have dogs, you should know xylitol is toxic to them. So just beware. Our current dog doesn't have a penchant for getting into things, but we had a husky/shep mix that got into *everything* and I know she would have stolen the gum, mints, toothpaste, etc. off of countertops, etc. and gotten into trouble.

Jacksmommy2b
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
We buy from www.epicdenal.com. I have never had a problem with them. If you spend $50 you get free shipping, and we haven't ordered in a while but I don't remember shipping being too pricey otherwise.

Also, if you use this code: AE25FT - you get %50 off your first order up to $25.

We usually buy:

http://www.epicdental.com/p-45-fluoride-free-xylitol-toothpaste.aspx

We started with the fluoride free version when J was under 2. It is mint, but it is a really mild mint that J didn't mind at all. (and he is really picky about mint)

http://www.epicdental.com/p-44-fluoride-xylitol-toothpaste.aspx

This is the fluoride version we use now, it has the same mint flavor.

http://www.epicdental.com/p-43-fresh-fruit-xylitol-mints.aspx

These are the mints J is totally hooked on. The fruit tastes a lot like juicy fruit. They are larger than tictacs, about the size of the new mini altoids, but I don't think they could be considered a choking hazard. They only bad thing I could say about them is that if a certain toddler snags the tin and eats the majority in one sitting, you will be spending some quality potty time together. :) And just to be clear - that doesn't happen with a reasonable consumption, just an excessive one.

I don't like the peppermint ones. They have a bit too much bite for me - so I would not offer those to kids.

I would love xylitol lollipops if anyone can find them!

okay - do these look like the pops the dentist hands out?

http://practicon.com/Dr.-John's-Xylitol-Assorted-Pops/p/10-47729/c/1/

I would love to try them, but $35.00 is a little steep for a trial. :)

citymama
07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow, thanks! I had no idea and our dentist has never mentioned them. I am a little nervous to give any kind of medicated product without doctor approval though - esp. something that is toxic to dogs. Is xylitol totally safe? Any dosage concerns (eg toothpaste plus mints plus lollipops = bad idea)?

I need to start taking this too!

Jacksmommy2b
07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Wow, thanks! I had no idea and our dentist has never mentioned them. I am a little nervous to give any kind of medicated product without doctor approval though - esp. something that is toxic to dogs. Is xylitol totally safe? Any dosage concerns (eg toothpaste plus mints plus lollipops = bad idea)?

http://www.epicdental.com/t-learn-about-xylitol.aspx

This is just the Epic Xylitol FAQ - but like it says - it isn't a chemical or a drug. It is non toxic (to people), and we first heard about it from J's pediatric dentist who suggested it would help keep J cavity free. I know you can buy granulated xylitol to use in cooking/baking and other sweetening, but I personally have no experience there.

I don't think you would have any problems with toothpaste + lollipops + mints. I think Epic's website suggests 6 to 8 grams daily for best results. (don't quote me there)

The only problem I have ever had was when J was younger he snagged a brand new tin out of my bag and ate the entire thing. He had some loose stools for his next BM - but it wasn't that big of a deal.

I like the gums. I hate how sugar based gum makes your teeth feel all gritty and sugar substitute gums give me headaches. I have no problems with the xylitol based ones.

neeleymartin
07-15-2009, 09:10 PM
brick and mortar stores

thanks. i always wondered what b/m was.

brittone2
07-15-2009, 09:55 PM

xylitol is naturally occurring in strawberries, birch trees and corn. Of course, the stuff sold in stores for sweetening is very refined, etc. but I feel okay with it.

We actually cook with it a bit (can cause *some* GI issues for some people because it is a sugar alcohol, which basically isn't absorbed by the body) We usually use organic, birch-derived (non GMO, no corn) and USA produced erythritol (erythritol is much less likely to cause tummy issues than xylitol for most people), but we still use xylitol for tooth care. I use those because of all the artificial sweeteners, they are the ones I personally am the most comfortable with (eta: along with stevia) since I don't do sugar, etc. with PCOS.

Chocolate, etc. can be toxic to dogs as well. THey just don't do well with xylitol, kwim?

citymama
07-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Got it; thanks! I'm definitely going to talk to our dentist and get some of this stuff - sounds great.