PDA

View Full Version : Ikea - Seize the Days (Sat 7/18 - Sun 7/19)

goodstuff1994
07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Ikea Seize the Days is back! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/

I am considering getting the Markor 5-shelf bookcase $80 (reg $169) and wondering what your thoughts are.

lilhilly
07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I was just coming to post this! I think it's just like the Expedit, but with legs and an overhanging top -- that means you don't have the choice of horizontal or vertical like you do with the Expedit, but no big deal. If I did not already have the Expedit, I'd be getting the 5x2 Markor -- great price!

MMMommy
07-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I remember when we went to IKEA, that the Markor series seemed to be more scratched up (or easily scratched b/c of the type of wood surface) than the Expedit series. But you could just compare in person. Just thought I would mention that, but the sale price is really good.

shoxie
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for posting - these look like nice pieces...

I have a feeling they may scratch more easily than the Expedit stuff b/c they're solid wood. I believe Expedit is particleboard/fiberboard. So it depends on what you're looking for - we have the Expedit shelves and they're great. These look nicer to me - higher quality initially but maybe not as durable?? If that makes any sense...LOL.

vludmilla
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
We have Markor furniture and all of it looks great except the coffee table which does get scratched more easily. The glass door bookcases, the tv armoire, etcetera...they all look new and it has been a few years since we purchased them.

BigDog
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
We have the Markor bookshelves and tv stand which we purchased about 5 years ago - they still look good even after going through a move, and having a rowdy toddler around the house. Great prices, IMO.

goodstuff1994
07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all your input!

At the prior Seize the Days event, my Ikea ran out of the birch and black-brown Expedit shelves by 12 noon Saturday! And, it was like a zoo there! The Expedit would be a perfect toy storage unit as some of you suggested.

I think I will get a Markor 5-shelf bookcase this Saturdayfor my office.

LMPC
07-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Anyone know how this works? I plan on being at Ikea when it opens (earlier actually) to get some of the Markor bookcases....we've had them before and stupidly left them behind for the next people when we moved last time :banghead: I really like them!

I know the drill at Ikea...when you want something that's not on the shelves you go to a person at the kiosk and they print you out a little form. So is that what I do when I get there on Sat? If I *do* get that little piece of paper, am I good...meaning can I then go around a shop at a normal pace? I know this post sounds neurotic, but what are the chances that the very weekend I was already planning on going to Ikea, the very bookshelves I was going to buy are HALF PRICE!!!???

Ooooh, so excited!!!

DietCokeLover
07-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Is this only good in-store, or are the prices available online as well?

WatchingThemGrow
07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks! I'm planning on going there too this weekend (same one :) ) but probably not for breakfast, and I'm not sure I have space for any stuff.

lilhilly
07-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Anyone know how this works? I plan on being at Ikea when it opens (earlier actually) to get some of the Markor bookcases....we've had them before and stupidly left them behind for the next people when we moved last time :banghead: I really like them!

I know the drill at Ikea...when you want something that's not on the shelves you go to a person at the kiosk and they print you out a little form. So is that what I do when I get there on Sat? If I *do* get that little piece of paper, am I good...meaning can I then go around a shop at a normal pace?

At my IKEA, bookshelves are usually in the "help yourself" area just before the checkouts (the long aisles, you need to get the aisle number from the display area, but then you just go grab the flatpack and check out). The best thing to do is go to where the items are displayed, and it'll either tell you to see an IKEA rep (to get a printout) or it'll tell you what aisle to go to.

I haven't been there for STD (kind of an unfortunate acronym) and I understand it may work a little differently then -- from what others have posted here, it sounds like you might expect to see employees doling out the bookshelves one at a time.

shoxie
07-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Is this only good in-store, or are the prices available online as well?

The ad states that the offers aren't good at Ikea Direct - I think that's the online arm, right? From what I've heard on these boards previously, if you buy anything bulky online, they'll kill you with shipping charges.

BargainMomforLuke
07-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I also have the large Markor bookcase & I love it. It doesn't have a scratch on it.

goodstuff1994
07-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Today's Seize the Days event was not as crazy as the previous POÄNG and EXPEDIT one at my store, but they definitely offer fewer numbers available for purchase.

My Ikea opened at 10. We arrived at 10:30 AM, and several items were sold out already -- Markor W19" 5-shelf bookcase, big dinning table (not shown on the Seize the Days web page) and one more item which I cannot remember right now.

Two ladies were so mad that they argued with a staff saying it was a sale/marketing tactic by offering so few available to customers. It sounds like they drove about 45 minutes to get to Ikea. An Ikea staff told them to come back tomorrow early and get in line before store opens.

Luckily, there were several Markor W35" 5-shelf bookcases left at 10:30 AM and we quickly grabbed 3 sets for my office. :applause:

SnuggleBuggles
07-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Today's Seize the Days event was not as crazy as the previous POÄNG and EXPEDIT one at my store, but they definitely offer fewer numbers available for purchase.

My Ikea opened at 10. We arrived at 10:30 AM, and several items were sold out already -- Markor W19" 5-shelf bookcase, big dinning table (not shown on the Seize the Days web page) and one more item which I cannot remember right now.

Two ladies were so mad that they argued with a staff saying it was a sale/marketing tactic by offering so few available to customers. It sounds like they drove about 45 minutes to get to Ikea. An Ikea staff told them to come back tomorrow early and get in line before store opens.

Luckily, there were several Markor W35" 5-shelf bookcases left at 10:30 AM and we quickly grabbed 3 sets for my office. :applause:

They let you get 3? Did you have more people in your group? I knew I should have brought someone so they could buy the 1 other thing I wanted b/c they were really enforcing the limit of 2.

So, they were offering more stock today? I guess that makes sense since they advertised it for both days but it is kind of odd that it would "sell out" one day then be back the next. Sounds like a sales/ marketing tactic...but they are a store trying to make $ and it seemed to work.

Beth

goodstuff1994
07-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes, the whole family went to Ikea. We had two adults in our group, so we went to 2 separate checkout lines because I really need 3 sets for all my books!

The staff told us they had to reserve about half for Sunday which makes sense.

MMMommy
07-19-2009, 01:35 PM
For the $49 Expedit (max one per person), DH and I each bought an Expedit separately at self checkout and loaded it into the car. Then, I went right back in and got another one. Unless they recognize you (which I doubt), you can go in and out to get them to beat the max limit. At our IKEA, we didn't get vouchers for items. They just had a whole bunch of Expedits stacked, so you get it yourself. Not sure if it would be problematic going back and forth if it were a voucher situation.

srhs
07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
...Markor W19" 5-shelf bookcase, big dinning table (not shown on the Seize the Days web page)

Does anyone know what other items were/are available in addition to those shown on the webpage? We don't have a local IKEA, but I can send an IL in another state if I know what to check on...

SnuggleBuggles
07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know what other items were/are available in addition to those shown on the webpage? We don't have a local IKEA, but I can send an IL in another state if I know what to check on...

We didn't even have a dining room table at our IKEA. Just what was shown on the website. Sale ends today, Sunday. If you want something you need to act now (but it's probably too late by the time I post this).

Beth

dotgirl
07-19-2009, 09:23 PM
We have the Markor 5 shelf large bookshelf, and I adore it. We have 2 kids and a cat, and it's not dinged, scratched, anything. We've had it for about 5 years, too.