PDA

View Full Version : Kids bike recommendations, please :)

happy2bamom
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I'd like to get DS a bike with training wheels, but he has low muscle tone so balance is an issue. His PT suggested getting a higher quality bike that is lightweight and has smooth movement, to assist him in being successful. Any suggestions on brands and/or models?
TIA

BTW, we've already done the Glider Rider, and his PT feels like he is ready for a bike now (with training wheels).

niccig
07-15-2009, 05:58 PM
We have a Specialized HotRock...
I would go to a bike store and look at what they have, and try DS out on a few and see which he feels most comfortable with. DH and I wanted to get a certain bike as the seat/handlebars went a little higher, but DS said it felt funny and it seemed his feet slipped off the pedals. He may have gotten used to it, but just in case, we went with the bike DS said was better...and he loves it.

The bike store bikes are more expensive but they are easier to ride. DS has been riding his for nearly a year without training wheels, and he got on a friend's bike that's the same size but much heavier and not as smooth movement, DS got off quickly and wanted his own bike back.

One of our local bike stores has a trade-in program. If you buy the bike from them, then you have 3 years in which you can trade it in on another bike and you'll get up to 50% back depending on condition of the bike.

jenmcadams
07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
One of our local bike stores has a trade-in program. If you buy the bike from them, then you have 3 years in which you can trade it in on another bike and you'll get up to 50% back depending on condition of the bike.

One of our local bike shops does the same thing. We did the cheapie Walmart bike for my DD's first, but once she was riding w/o training wheels, we got a nice Trek with a hand brake and pedal brakes. It's a 20" bike and should last her for a while. I would look at Trek's and Specialized

Tondi G
07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Our older DS has a bike made by Giant. It is a nice bike from a smaller independent bike shop. Our little guy picked his bike out at Sport Chalet. He fell in love with the white/black/green bike and rode it around the store every time we went in there.... so we knew this was the bike for him! It's a Diamondback. We have been quite happy with both bikes!

sariana
07-15-2009, 07:48 PM
DS got a bike last Christmas, when he was 4 1/2. He tried a Fuji, which I thought worked really well for him, one I can't remember (sorry, I know that's no help), and a Diamondback. The Dback was the heaviest and least expensive, but that's the one he wanted. So that's what Santa brought.

Mommy would have chosen the Fuji. It had an aluminum frame and was much lighter. It also just seemed like a better made bike, even though it was only about $50 more.

Go to a bike shop rather than a sporting goods store. A bike shop will have higher quality bikes. Those we saw (16") were in the $150-$200 range. There were some sales going on back then. Usually they were closer to $200.

I agree with PP about Trek. I couldn't find a Trek dealer near us. We did see some Specialized (that might be the one I was forgetting above). They are both good brands.

I have a friend who has a son with special needs (as does my son). He has a Giant, and she is very happy with it. I have no personal experience with that brand, though. DS wanted a BLUE bike, and Giant's 2009 models were orange. So we didn't look at them.

schums
07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
DS has had a Giant and a Haro. I LOVE the Haro. The Giant was nice, but the Haro is AWESOME. FWIW, DD has a Giant also (bought 1 year later), and the quality of the girls bike stink to high heaven. She refuses to ride it, prefering to ride DS's old bike (also a Giant). Because of this, we won't be buying a Giant again.

LD92599
07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
We just got DS a Trek at a local bike shop. He LOVES it! We've been riding as a family lately and having lots of fun!

I definitely suggest a local bike shop, the service beats TRU hands down!

MelissaTC
07-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Another rec for a bike shop. I took DS there a couple of years ago and we left with a Trek. He loves it.

lilycat88
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
We have a girls Giant and DD absolutely loves it. It's hands down the most "stable" and solidly built bike of any that the kids have in the neighborhood. We got it at a bike store and she chose it over a Trek.

DS has had a Giant and a Haro. I LOVE the Haro. The Giant was nice, but the Haro is AWESOME. FWIW, DD has a Giant also (bought 1 year later), and the quality of the girls bike stink to high heaven. She refuses to ride it, prefering to ride DS's old bike (also a Giant). Because of this, we won't be buying a Giant again.

o_mom
07-15-2009, 11:13 PM
DS1 and DS2 both have Trek Jet 16's that I got off CL for about $50 each. They are great bikes with a low standover height and easy to balance and pedal. We tried Trek, Giant and Specialized at the bike shops and DS1 preferred the Treks so I stalked CL to find them. I would shop the bike shops and then see what you can find on CL.

brittone2
07-15-2009, 11:20 PM
If you are open to 2nd hand, you could check craigslist or bike shops for trade ins. Some of the bike shops in our area sell nice (used) bikes like the Trek Jet, etc. for 50-70 bucks or so.

If you aren't confident on what size he needs (big enough for a 16 inch?), then I'd definitely opt for a professional fitting, etc. at a bike shop.

happy2bamom
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you all so much! This has been really helpful. I"m taking DS to the bike shop today!