PDA

View Full Version : Matron of honor speech @ sister's wedding

gavsmompa
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
So, what would you say if you were the matron of honor at your sisters wedding and you were asked to do a speech? I want to keep it short and sweet but it feels like I have so much to say (all good of course). I am not the type of person that can wing these things so I will probably have some index cards to remind me of what I want to say.

misshollygolightly
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't have any siblings, so I may not have as much insight into this as another person, but I've certainly heard plenty of wedding toasts/speeches, so here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth:

-a lot of people include "inside jokes" when making toasts at weddings--I think this is silly and mildly irritating, as the vast majority of the guests/listeners in the room will have no idea what you're talking about and obligated to laugh awkwardly without knowing why

-I really like it when a relative of the bride compliments the groom and/or his family in her speech (or when the groom's relative compliments the bride). I just think it is really sweet, and it seems like a kind gesture to welcome the new person into the family.

-I like it when the 'toaster' names a few specific positive characteristics of the 'toaster' (hee hee!), and maybe follows that up with a very brief amusing or touching story about the person that illustrates those characteristics.

-if you're giving a toast, don't forget to actually conclude your speech with a toast (that is, invite the guests to raise their glasses to the health/happiness/whatever of the couple)! A lot of times, people seem to forget this part, so it's not quite clear when they are done talking and we're all supposed to go "cheers!" :ROTFLMAO:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll come up with something lovely! You could always ask your sister or run it by her if you are really worried! Good luck!

ETA: If you do write it out ahead of time, I'd strongly encourage you to practice reading it once or twice, and maybe even time yourself. People's attention spans are short for these things, so maybe aim for about 3 minutes or less?

Jacksmommy2b
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
I would go with something like remembering playing wedding as young girls and sis always loved the first kiss, first dance, whatever, but you both could have never known her big day or groom would be as wonderful as this.

And you hope every day of thier lives together can be filled with the love and joy you see in both of them today.

The end.

:)