PDA

View Full Version : PSA- Get your dogs chipped! And remember the collar and tags too!

kayte
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Deannanb and I returned a dog that had been missing for 2 weeks today to it's owner--All because it had a microchip. The tiny dog (a chihuahua mix) had walked miles and crossed some seriously busy streets. The dog was scared and upset and the shelter worker commented before scanning him that he would not do well in the shelter (in other words- not get adopted and most likely be put down) because of the skittish behavior. We asked to have him scanned, they did and we were on the phone with the owner in less than 5 minutes! When we brought him to his home, his demeanor distractedly changed and he was instantly licking his owner. So get your dogs chipped and don't forget collars and tags!

ETA- ANd for those of you with chips, make sure your contact info is up to date!

BigDog
07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for this PSA, so important! Microchipping is definitely worth it!

shawnandangel
07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
I agree! All of our dogs are microchipped. I think it's definately worth it! Good for you to take the dog back home! That was a very kind act on your part.

Nyfeara
07-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Microchipping is a great thing & pretty inexpensive for the peace of mind. Our first dog was chipped right in the vet's office. The younger one was chipped while she was under for her spay. Our vet checks on occasion just to make sure they're working fine.

It cost us about $70/dog at the vet and then another $17 to register them on the site. The $17 fee is a one-time registration fee. Well worth it if they are ever lost, especially b/c collars/tags can come off too.

AJP
07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
This was the best thing we ever did for our dog. She is a breed that would probably have a hard time being adopted, and it would break all our hearts if we ever lost her. I have to ask the vet to do a test scan on her.
Be sure you get online to make sure they have your most recent information!

KrystalS
07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Our dog is microchipped but my DH did all the paperwork, website etc. He's deployed right now and we moved recently, how do I update our contact info?

Nyfeara
07-17-2009, 12:29 PM
You just need to go the website where the number is registered. Our vet used HomeAgain ID. Jot down the chip number. You may need the number or a username along with a password to log in & change the information associated with that chip number.

The chip number can be found on the paperwork from the vet or ours are also on a yellow HomeAgain tag on our dogs' collars. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what other companies are out there for chip registration.

HTH!