PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Kindness

ourbabygirl
07-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm reading "Don't sweat the small stuff" and excited to start doing random acts of kindness... any suggestions? A lot of ideas I've found online have to do with spending money, and I'm wondering what else I can do that are nice gestures that don't cost anything. Any random acts of kindness you can share that you've done or had someone do for you :)?

Thanks!

rlu
07-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Hold the door open for someone

Buy the homeless a hamburger

Leave post-its with affirmations in the ladies restroom (not my idea, can't recall where I saw that)

Coins in parking meters (I heard this is illegal in some places, not sure if that's a legend).

Smile at/greet everyone you see.

kransden
07-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Watch my child while I went out just for fun.
Sent me a postcard in the mail.

I watched someone else's child while they went to Las Vegas over night.
There are lots more in both directions.

justlearning
07-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Tomorrow I'm taking clothes and toys over to a family with a boy who's a year younger than my youngest. They also have another boy two years younger and one on the way.

I don't know them--I just decided that I wanted to find a family who was financially hurting and could use hand-me-down clothes and toys. So I asked around at our church and got this family's information.

The mother seems very excited to get these from me and is very appreciative. I'm going to continue taking her clothes and toys as my boys outgrow them.

So I realize that this act isn't truly free because I could be making money selling these at yard sales or getting a tax write-off by donating them to a charity, but I feel great knowing that I'm going to be able to help out a family who could use help right now. I've always donated to thrift stores and other charities in the past, but I'm excited about having a more personal connection in this way. Growing up, my parents did this and it always warmed our hearts when we saw the kids (from families living in poverty) wearing what we had given them.

MMEand1
07-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Our family favorite is to bake something and deliver it by knocking on someone's door and running! The kids love it!

When we lived in military housing, we had yard inspections each week. If I went out to mow my yard and saw that the neighbors yard had not been mowed yet, I would mow it for them (edging was on them since I hate edging)!

Offer someone a meal that just had a baby or has been sick.

When going through a toll, pay for the person behind you.

BabyMine
07-16-2009, 06:57 AM
I do very small things that would mean a lot to me if they were done for me.

- Smiling goes a lone way.
- Holding the door.
- Compliment people more and tell them they are appreciated.

Just think of what you would like someone to do for you.

pinkmomagain
07-16-2009, 07:53 AM
It may sound stupid but I try to do things while I'm in the car (since I'm in it alot), like letting another car go ahead of me, allowing a pedestrian to cross before I go, etc.

trentsmom
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
If someone is far away from a cart corral, offer to take their cart from them. When I was hugely pregnant with DS1, I was dreading taking back the cart after loading my groceries. A woman appeared and said, "I'll take your cart." I was so happy! When I go to the grocery or Costco and see someone unloading a cart, I try to time it so that I pass him/her when they're done. Then I offer to take their cart. Benefits both of us, especially now since I have DS2 and want to put him in a cart as soon as possible!