PDA

View Full Version : Concussion in baby?

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 04:40 AM
I don't know if anyone is up now, but...this afternoon, my baby fell off the bed. He cried a little, I held him, and he went back to sleep (it was his nap time.) After he woke up, he was acting completely normal. Smiling, laughing, crawling all over the place, eating fine, no bump on his head, pupils are normal. Then a couple of hours ago, he started throwing up. He threw up several times, then went to sleep. A couple of times since then, I tried to see if I could wake him up. Well, he woke up pretty easily, not listless or anything. But, both times when I woke him up, he threw up again. Is this cause for a big concern? As in, this is related to the fall and I need to take him to the hospital emergency room? DH is out of town, so I have to find someone to come over and watch the other kids. Not ideal at 2am. And I know it is going to cost more than a thousand dollars. And waking up a sick baby again and taking him out in the middle of the night is not such a good idea. But mostly, I am worried about the horrible, antibiotic resistant diseases floating around hospitals now. When my middle son had surgery, I was told his biggest risk was catching one of those deadly bugs. That is even more of a concern with a baby. So....what would you do? Take him to the emergency room? Just watch him? Figure the vomiting isn't even related to the fall, and go to bed? TY!

infomama
07-16-2009, 04:45 AM
Can you page your Pediatrician on call and ask them what to do?

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Ah, someone is up, thanks! I did. I don't know the Dr. on call, and he was pretty impersonal, pretty brusque. He was the one who said to try and wake him up periodically, to see if he could wake up easily. He also said if the vomiting persisted, to take him in. That was all he said. No questions or anything. But both times when I woke the baby up, I tried to give him Pedialyte, and that is what he threw up. So I don't know think that fits the definition of "persistent vomiting." Or does it? I mean, if he has a stomach bug, or ate something bad, he would likely throw up for awhile, until his stomach settled down. At least, that is the way he and my other kids have been. Just from everything I am reading right now it seems like there would be some other symptoms if it was serious. Plus, he never lost consciousness.

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Now he is smiling, and laughing in his sleep. He is really cracking up at something, lol! That's why I am thinking this is not serious...

infomama
07-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Did you read this yet? From the Mayo Clinic site.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you call your child's doctor for advice if your child receives anything more than a light bump on the head.
Signs that a child who has a head injury needs medical attention include:

Loss of consciousness
Repeated vomiting
Seizure (convulsion)
Headache that gets worse over time
Changes in your child's behavior, including irritability or difficulty waking
Changes in your child's physical coordination, including stumbling or clumsiness
Confusion
Slurred speech
Lasting or recurrent dizziness
Blood or fluid discharge from the nose or ears
A cut that won't stop bleeding after you've applied pressure for 10 minutes

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Thanks, I did read that. He doesn't have any of the other symptoms. I did just wake him again, and gave him Pedialyte. This time he didn't throw up. Not to sound like Bill Clinton, but how would you define "persistent vomiting?" Oh sorry, that definition says "repeated vomiting." I read some others that said "persistent."

MMEand1
07-16-2009, 05:10 AM
How is he doing this morning? Did you bring him in to the ER?

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 05:13 AM
I am still up watching him. It is just after 2 am here. He seems to be fine.

infomama
07-16-2009, 05:14 AM
I would wait it out but monitor him closely. If you have an inkling of doubt just take him in. You have the clear big picture as you were there when he fell, etc.

pharmjenn
07-16-2009, 05:21 AM
I would define persistent vomiting as continuing without any prompting (giving more drink) I would try not giving him anything next time you awaken him. The main thing you are looking for is whether he wakes up easily.
Oh, and I am at work (in a hospital) and asked an ER nurse. From what you have written, not likely related. Try holding the fluids for now. Good luck with him and getting yourself through tomorrow with little sleep!

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 05:27 AM
I would wait it out but monitor him closely. If you have an inkling of doubt just take him in. You have the clear big picture as you were there when he fell, etc.

Thanks. He fell pretty hard, because he was half asleep. But I do have a thick carpet there with a lot of padding. And I grabbed him instantly, so I know he wasn't knocked out. He didn't cry for very long, then went back to sleep. So I thought he was OK. Anyway, I will keep watching him, and thank you so much for your concern.

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 05:29 AM
I would define persistent vomiting as continuing without any prompting (giving more drink) I would try not giving him anything next time you awaken him. The main thing you are looking for is whether he wakes up easily.
Oh, and I am at work (in a hospital) and asked an ER nurse. From what you have written, not likely related. Try holding the fluids for now. Good luck with him and getting yourself through tomorrow with little sleep!

That is so sweet of you to ask, thank you! I am tired, but still a little too worried to sleep.

himom
07-16-2009, 05:31 AM
I'd call your pediatrician immediately -- yes, wake him/her up. The first thing our ped asks when I inquire about a head injury is "Is he vomiting?" Truly, it may be nothing, but when it comes to head injuries, it is critically important to err on the side of caution.

Please get some reliable medical advice ASAP, and let us know how he is tomorrow!

Snow mom
07-16-2009, 07:56 AM
No advice-- just wanted to send you a hug :hug: and I hope the baby is doing better. I was recently responsible for DD hitting her head in a somewhat similar manner. I thought DH would be the first to "drop the baby on her head" but nope, it was me. I felt terrible but luckily she was fine.

JBaxter
07-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Just checking to see how you both are doing.

BeachBum
07-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Checking in on you too.
My son fell off the bed this week also. My ped said if he throws up repeatedly or more than 4 hours after the incident then bring him to the ER. Also if he gets a bump out that is fine, but a sunken spot is an emergency.

bubbaray
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Hugs Janet. Hope he's OK today!

:grouphug:

MamaMolly
07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
P and PT and hopes that all is well and you guys are home napping off your restless night. :grouphug:

arivecchi
07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
DS1 fell once on hardwood floors (he was learning to stand) and hit himself hard in the head. He was about 10-11 months. He started projectile vomiting about an hour later when we tried to feed him but showed no other signs of a concussion. Called the ped and he asked that we take him to the ER at the children's hospital near us. If they hit their head and vomit, that's an automatic trip to the ER in their office. We took him in and they did a CT scan. That is really the only way to be sure everything is ok. He was fine, but I was glad to know for sure that he was ok. HTH. Good luck with your baby. I hope he is ok.

pastrygirl
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I hope he's OK! Head injuries scare the daylights out of me.

wellyes
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I hope he's OK too - good luck - all babies fall sometimes but it's still scary.

Melaine
07-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I hope StrollerBaby is doing better today!

ThreeofUs
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey, how is everyone today?

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi all! Thank you for the concern! He didn't throw up any more, and slept fine. He's acting just like, well, he always does. Laughing at everything. Eating normally. Pulling up on everything, cruising, crawling up the stairs at lightning speed (I'm following right behind him.) Do you think there is still any need to worry? Should I take him to the Dr. or hospital today?

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Small update...I am on the phone with the Dr's office...she wants me to bring him in to take a look at him, but the office staff is saying there are no openings with any of the doctors, typical....

JMS
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Small update...I am on the phone with the Dr's office...she wants me to bring him in to take a look at him, but the office staff is saying there are no openings with any of the doctors, typical....

I think nicely and firmly you can't accept that. Tell the receptionist that he hit his head and he is vomiting and needs to be seen immediately.

WatchingThemGrow
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Glad that he seems happy and comfortable today. CRAZY they tell you to bring him in, but that there aren't any appointments! Do you think the vomiting was directly related to the Pedialyte?

arivecchi
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Small update...I am on the phone with the Dr's office...she wants me to bring him in to take a look at him, but the office staff is saying there are no openings with any of the doctors, typical.... They NEED to make room for you!!! Examining a kid who hit himself in the head should be a priority for them. I concur with the PP, I would insist that they see my child ASAP. I hope they work something out.

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I just went ahead and showed up with him, right before lunch. I figured they would have to see him before they went to eat. It worked. When the Dr. came in to the room, baby was laughing, humming and clapping doing the "we will rock you" thing. She gave me the "Nothing is wrong with him and why are you here" look. She checked him out and said he looked fine, whew. Although the vomiting is a little disturbing.

ThreeofUs
07-16-2009, 08:51 PM
I just went ahead and showed up with him, right before lunch. I figured they would have to see him before they went to eat. It worked. When the Dr. came in to the room, baby was laughing, humming and clapping doing the "we will rock you" thing. She gave me the "Nothing is wrong with him and why are you here" look. She checked him out and said he looked fine, whew. Although the vomiting is a little disturbing.

:thumbsup:

Really glad to hear it. I was worried for you!

JMS
07-16-2009, 08:55 PM

I'm so glad you went. Their (the doctor and office staff) inconvenience is your peace of mind. That's their job!

Melaine
07-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm glad he's happy and well today. That definitely sounded scary...

strollerqueen
07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks all! :)