PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get a Palm Pre?

WatchingThemGrow
07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Just wondering...kinda want to replace my phone, not sure I want to spend the iPod bucks...

What do you think of it?

purpleeyes
07-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking about it, too!! Any info would be appreciated!!

TIA!!

Georgia
07-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I LOVE mine. Love the feel of it in my hand and am really attached to the physical keyboard. Flipping through the cards is great, both from a practical standpoint of having multiple apps open at once and for fun, love flicking them off the top of the screen. And the screen is beautiful. I bought a touchstone so never plug it in because it syncs with google calendar/contacts etc. There's a new app to sync by wifi with outlook so that's an option now too.

The forums over at pre central can be very helpful but very heated at times as well.

It's one of the best splurges I've made in a while.

mytwosons
07-16-2009, 10:59 AM
How is the "to-do list" application?

I had a palm treo years ago and loved the to-do list because it was so easy to order and I could have separate lists for personal and business.

Any idea if it can sync with both outlook calendar and google's at the same time? I really wish my employer would move away from Outlook....

Thanks!

cchavez
07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
DH has one and loves it!!!

Georgia
07-16-2009, 11:45 AM
How is the "to-do list" application?

I had a palm treo years ago and loved the to-do list because it was so easy to order and I could have separate lists for personal and business.

Any idea if it can sync with both outlook calendar and google's at the same time? I really wish my employer would move away from Outlook....

Thanks!

I find the to-do list fine for my needs. You can make as many lists as you want, have due dates or not, most of the basics. It doesn't sort things automatically but does let you move items wherever you want on the list. This is one of the things that hardcore Palm OS people complain about over at precentral.net though, that the to-do list is weak in comparison. I've only ever used Palm OS though and find it simple but good. But I would read the specific stuff people are complaining about to see if it would work for you or not.

Yes you can sync both outlook and google calendars, even multiple google calendars. They are color coded so you can tell them apart. I have my own google calendar, my husbands, and kid schedules all going at once. Adding an event either online or on the phone puts it on both. Supposedly facebook events will transfer over also, and it does sync your facebook contacts as well which is nice--contacts automatically include their picture.

LexyLou
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I want to get one too, but isn't it pretty much the same cost as the iPhone?

WatchingThemGrow
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I want to get one too, but isn't it pretty much the same cost as the iPhone?

not totally sure, but this http://www.billshrink.com/blog/iphone-versus-palm-pre-versus-android/ shows it as cheaper service-wise, plus i have a 23% discount from sprint from my former employer.

LexyLou
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Cool website, thanks!

I think my issue is that I'm in contract with Sprint and I've only had my current phone 1 year, so I'm only eligible for a $75 credit. If I wait 3 1/2 more months I get $150 credit and if I can wait until my contract is up, I can threaten to leave and get a much better deal but I don't think my phone can hold out that long!

hellokitty
07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
It's good to hear the positive reviews. My DH is totally lusting after the palm pre and he thinks I should get one too. If you guys saw how basic and pre-historic my cell phone that I have now is, you'd all laugh and be quite amazed that it still works.

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2009, 07:55 AM
anyone else? we're contemplating the pre and iphone still

mamalia
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
found this while searching for a post about a blog that i thought i'd seen here...still haven't found it. it was one that had science and art project ideas. anyone remember it?

but to answer op, my dh recently got the palm pre and loves it so far. he likes the web browsing and the screen quality. but i ended up returning mine and getting the blackberry tour for two reasons: battery life on the pre is bad, and the pre doesn't have video. i also thought it was irritating that sliding the phone shut doesn't end the call on the pre. so far i'm liking the blackberry. you don't have to charge it daily which i like bc i always forget my phone in my purse. and i like the camera and video for spur of the moment kiddo stuff. we avoided the iphone bc plans were $$ so don't know how that compares. hth.