PDA

View Full Version : Any BTDT abdominal ultrasound??

jgenie
07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
DS is having one tomorrow morning. Has anyone BTDT? What can we expect? TIA

P&PT are always welcome!!

alirebco
07-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I just recently had one - I had to be on a fat free diet for 24 hours before hand and nothing to eat or drink 12 hours beforehand. The actual u/s only took about 20 minutes and they have you lay on each side as well as on your back.

Hope everything is ok!

Ceepa
07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Usually what you would expect from any ultrasound: Dim room, bed, technician, machine. You'll get to stay right there with DS and because they don't need to sedate or anything it's just a matter of getting him to lie relatively still while the tech. looks around and takes pictures. You might want to bring some books to read to DS if that keeps him occupied. I've found the techs who deal with kids regularly are really good and patient. Also bring a soft toy or lovey if that comforts DS.

pinkmomagain
07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Ive personally had one, not my dc. I had no dietary restrictions whatsoever. Easy peasy. Just asked me to shift around about while laying on the table. Sometimes taking a breath and holding it. Worst part is if the jelly is super cold...just like getting an US when we were pregnant.

maestramommy
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Dora had one earlier this year after her UTI. They did an u/s before and after she peed. She was a little reluctant to lie back and let them put the scanner on, but after they pointed to the pics on the screen she was all over it! :p The u/s tech was obviously experienced with doing kids. She had the right combo of gentleness and playfulness.

sunriseiz
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
DD had one a couple of years ago for a uti. The tech was great and it was easy. She called the goop 'belly jelly' which made dd laugh. We were at a children's hospital, so the even had a tv for dd to watch. Best wishes!