PDA

View Full Version : Words you don't really want to define for a 5 year old :-)

lilycat88
07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
So, DD and I were driving to school this morning listening to the Broadway channel on XM. She loves it for some reason. All of the sudden a song from Victor/Victoria comes on. I was in a zone and didn't clue in fast enough to what song it was AND what was coming. All of the sudden I hear....

"Paris makes me feel horny.
Rome maybe hot, sexy it is not.
Paris is so sexy."

Then I hear Susanna start singing the lyrics. She's heard them ONCE. Luckily, she says something like "honny" and didn't request a definition. Sexy, on the other hand...

I was simultaneously tyring to not burst out laughing, not make a big deal over it in hopes she would just move on and forget it, and cursing the writers of Victor/Victoria for not realizing that someday my 5 year old would listen to the song.

ACK!

frgsnlzrds
07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
LOL That's funny. DS1 walked around for a week singing "Two trailer park girls go round the outside, round the outside." I know how you feel!

AnnieW625
07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
That is funny. I have no advice for you though.

I am just proud that the other day DD's recognized Heart's Barracuda on the radio from Shrek 3!

Wife_and_mommy
07-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I've been out several times the last couple weeks where questionable things happened. I was *so* grateful for my children's innocence and the fact that it hadn't been tarnished yet.

Here are mine

-in a TJ Maxx-type store where this 2(or less) yo is yelling out "F__ YOU!" over and over. The adult was getting all upset and telling baby to shut up. I just ushered my kids away to a different area. Ugh.

-my bro and sis had babies recently. While visiting my sis, a "friend" comes to see her who *reeks* of marijuana. Seriously? You come see a newborn smelling of that? And the friends some people choose just astonish me. I choose mine because they make me a better person, not drag me into the gutter w/ them....

last one: I was walking with both kids at the mall and a group of teens walks by calling each other c--ts and f__ this that.

On a funnier note, I put a music channel on TV for DD to dance to yesterday. She chose a channel playing Desiny's Child "Say my name". DH was apalled at me and changes it to a channel playing Barbara Streisand. The irony cracks me up.:hysterical:

boolady
07-16-2009, 12:31 PM
So, DD and I were driving to school this morning listening to the Broadway channel on XM. She loves it for some reason. All of the sudden a song from Victor/Victoria comes on. I was in a zone and didn't clue in fast enough to what song it was AND what was coming. All of the sudden I hear....

Paris is so sexy."

Then I hear Susanna start singing the lyrics. She's heard them ONCE. Luckily, she says something like "honny" and didn't request a definition. Sexy, on the other hand...

I was simultaneously tyring to not burst out laughing, not make a big deal over it in hopes she would just move on and forget it, and cursing the writers of Victor/Victoria for not realizing that someday my 5 year old would listen to the song.

ACK!

LOL and very timely, given my experience with DD. I always sing to her before bed, and often sing "On the Street Where You Live," from My Fair Lady. She LOVES it. Last week, I bought the soundtrack recording CD and started playing it for her...she's only 2.5, so she was fascinated by "the man" singing. Yeah. Well, she's starting to memorize the words that lead into the song on the CD:

When she mentioned how her aunt bit off the spoon,
She completely done me in.
And my heart went on a journey to the moon
When she told about her father and the gin.
But I never saw a more enchanting farce
Than the moment when she shouted,
"Move your bloomin' ..."

This morning in the car, she was definitely was definitely feeling "When she told about her father and the gin." I expect to get some strange looks when I pick her up after work today. :)

citymama
07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
LoL! My DD loves a Brazilian pop song whose lyrics prominently feature the words "sexy" every other line. We were going to boycott the song, until we heard DD try and sing it - she says "saxy" and thinks it refers to the saxophone. ;)

marie
07-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Paris is so sexy."

Then I hear Susanna start singing the lyrics. She's heard them ONCE. Luckily, she says something like "honny" and didn't request a definition.

\

ACK!

DD's preschool teacher just told me a very similar story about the same song! Her daughter (who is now in college) was around 5 and heard that song. Luckily, she sang it back as "Paris makes me feel hungry" - my reponse to the teacher: "Well, it is a kind of hunger!"

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07