PDA

View Full Version : Mrsa

BabyMine
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I just got diagnosed today with MRSA. Has anyone else had it?

wellyes
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
My FIL has VRE - very similar, if I understand correctly - antibiotic resistent infection that doen't impact your life but is basically permanent.

Whenever he is in the hospital (pretty frequently) we are very cautious when visiting, lots of hand washing, and we never ever bring the baby. But when he's home it doesn't really impact anything. He has to be very careful about handwashing, tha'ts about it.

BabyMine
07-16-2009, 01:20 PM
My Dr put me on Bactrim DS for 30 days. If the area does not go away I have to have it surgically removed. Everything I read scares the crap outta me. I really need to stop googling.

citymama
07-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Sending P&PT your way. Hope it is a very mild case.

sunriseiz
07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I had it all over my face post-partum. :( fortunately, it went away quickly with topical clindamycin and no one else at home got it. Just stay on top of it. If anything seem sodd, ask your dr sooner than later. Best wishes!

BabyMine
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I had it all over my face post-partum. :( fortunately, it went away quickly with topical clindamycin and no one else at home got it. Just stay on top of it. If anything seem sodd, ask your dr sooner than later. Best wishes!

Passing it the rest os my family is what I am terrified off. It does make me feel better that yours cleared up. Thank you for sharing.

randomkid
07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Is it an open area, weeping, what? I've not had it, but work in a hospital where we see it all the time. My best advice would be to keep the area clean and be absolutely diligent with the instructions for the medication that the doc gave you.

To prevent passing it on - keep the area covered, don't share towels, linens, etc and most importantly - good handwashing. Hand washing is the key. If you keep it covered and make sure everyone washes, you will likely not pass it to anyone else. Make sure you wrap up bandages in something like toilet paper before putting in the garbage.

You might invest in some gloves for changing your bandage - remove old bandage while wearing gloves, clean the area, turn glove inside out over old bandage and throw away. Wash hands, put on clean gloves, then wash the area again, apply medication and put on clean bandage. One of the big things they emphasize at work is changing gloves between removing a dirty dressing and putting on a clean one. Doesn't matter if it's a band-aid. If you don't wash away the germs, you won't get rid of it. Just think clean, clean, clean. BTW, use soap and water, not hand sanitizer. Even though they say it's just as effective, I'm not convinced. Also, clean any surfaces with bleach water that may come in contact with your bandages, etc.

I know this may sound like overkill, but MRSA is not something to mess around with and I think you will get rid of it faster if you are absolutely diligent about it.

infomama
07-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I really need to stop googling.
Yes...please stop. You are going to work yourself up and you don't need that stress right now.

BabyMine
07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Sorry for TMI

It is open a weeping. It is in an area that I cannot put a bandage on. It is in the groin area. I am making sure averyone is diligent about washing their hands. I'm gload you mentioned the gloves. I was thinking about picking some up but I didn't know if that was overkill.

gatorsmom
07-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm with randomkid on this one. MRSA is a scary bacteria. Didn't your doctor discuss this thoroughly with you? I'd be very vigilant about keeping everything spotless in your house. I know that will be a lot of work. But you definitely don't want this to get passed to your kids.

hugs and prayers.

shawnandangel
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
If it is in your groin area I would recommend using a seperate bathroom from the rest of the family if you can. If not, I would clean the toilet seat after each use and keep some clorox wipes in the bathroom to wipe off the handles to the sink after you wash your hands.

randomkid
07-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Sorry for TMI

It is open a weeping. It is in an area that I cannot put a bandage on. It is in the groin area. I am making sure averyone is diligent about washing their hands. I'm gload you mentioned the gloves. I was thinking about picking some up but I didn't know if that was overkill.

You absolutely can put a bandage in your groin area, and you really need to if it is weeping. That fluid is rich with bacteria and will be on your clothes and anything else it come in contact with. I would even wash your clothes separately from the rest of the family's.

Go to the drugstore, buy 4x4 gauze and paper tape. Fold the 4x4s in half and tape in place. Run the tape across the entire length of the gauze so it doesn't move around as much. May not be the most comfortable, but you need to cover it. Patients here have bandages in their groin area all the time. Cover it Mama!

jerigirl
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
didn't know if that was overkill.
Nothing is overkill with MRSA IMO. Randomkid has given you great advice. MRSA is NOT something to mess with.