PDA

View Full Version : This weeks samples of writing from my college students

trales
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
From a lab report on acid/base titrations from a student who claims to be pre-vet. :hysterical:

Carefully titrating an acid against a bastard Stop when naturalization is reached, then we Can assume that roles of H+ 1 moles of OH-.

From the conclusion:

In conclusion the three final morality's where 1.97M for titration 1, 1.87M for titration 2 and 2.20M for titration 3, the average being 2.01M.

She wonders why she is failing.

egoldber
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Maybe she got you confused with her Shakespeare class? :ROTFLMAO:

ha98ed14
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Just for fun. It's been 10 years since I've had chem but I really liked it. Is this the translation from her language into English?

bastard = base/ basic
naturalization = equilibrium
roles = Moles
morality = Molarity

When titrating an acid with(?) a base, the reaction stops when equilibrium is reached. Then we can assume that the Moles of acid H+ and base OH- are equal to each other and 1.

How'd I do?

MontrealMum
07-16-2009, 02:38 PM
My chem knowledge is so rusty it's non-existent, but even I can spot the problems there! I'm guessing she's got some troubles with cut-and-paste? And spellcheck. And grammarcheck. And, oh, having the common sense to read what she wrote before turning it in!

I wish I still had some of the doozys that I've received - we had lots of fun laughing in the TAs lounge over them :)

trales
07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
When titrating an acid with(?) a base, the reaction stops when equilibrium is reached. Then we can assume that the Moles of acid H+ and base OH- are equal to each other and 1.

That is pretty much each, neutralization instead of equilibrium.

Sadly, I think this is the best she can do based on other things that have been turned in. I just don't know how she made it through high school, or what made her think she can do college work. She has a 11% average coming into the final.

ellies mom
07-16-2009, 02:53 PM
An 11%? Wow. Does she think she has a chance to pull it up with the final? Just how do you get an 11% anyways?

belovedgandp
07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok, that's sad and funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

Took me back to when I was in college. I graded for an "honors" engineering seminar. The papers left a lot to be desired. I know I'm sloppy at times, but sheesh people, it's a two page summary paper try to pull out the correct grammar skills.

sariana
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Is this the translation from her language into English?

Seriously, does she speak English? It does sound a lot like someone who does not have a very good grasp of the language.

trales
07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
She is a born and bred Northern New Englander who also claims here brother was graduated from the same HS as she, with barely a 4th grade reading level.

I think deep poverty has a lot to do with her education thus far. The HS she went to is known for being very poor with very few standards. The majority of the community lives in severe poverty.

I asked her how she came about the decision to be a vet, she replied that her HS counselor informed her than anyone could be whatever they wanted if they tried hard regardless of background. Personally, I think this is delusional thinking.

kijip
07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Sounds like she needs some remedial coursework before she does college level classes. Frustrates me to no end what some broken school systems leave untaught.

niccig
07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Sounds like she needs some remedial coursework before she does college level classes. Frustrates me to no end what some broken school systems leave untaught.

Yeah this. Can you point her in the direction of the academic counseling department. She sounds like she wants to go to college, but her schooling has not prepared her. I actually have more time for people who want to be there but are struggling, then for the slackers who don't work at all. I would hate to burst her bubble and have her sent back home all dejected because she failed. And I think it's a pretty good guess that she may not be getting a lot of support from family/community. She might be the first person she knows going off to college. She is going to fail, but can you tell her what services the college does provide to help students academically.

trales
07-16-2009, 06:14 PM
She might be the first person she knows going off to college. She is going to fail, but can you tell her what services the college does provide to help students academically.

She is deeply involved with academic services, tutoring, high school replacement courses. She works very hard but can't even pass high school replacement pre-algebra.

I think this is one of those cases where no matter how much you want something, it is just not going to happen for you. She does not even have the grades and skills to get into a vet tech program, but she does have enough to get into the grooming program. She and I have talked about it a little bit, but she does not see that this will most likely never work out for her.

I also feel bad that she and her parents are working really hard, multiple jobs to pay for this.

Ceepa
07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
At least she's trying to better herself. Maybe she will reconsider veterinary sciences and pursue another line of work involving animals that better suits her.

MamaMolly
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Oh that poor girl. I feel for her. It sounds to me like she is really trying, but just doesn't have the education to make it. Maybe not even the smarts. Where are the guidance counselors or academic advisors in this? Why are they letting her sign up for courses she is clearly unprepared for?

I once tutored a girl who's parents wanted me to help her prepare for the GED. She honestly couldn't remember from one week to the next that 4 quarters = a dollar. (And the GED is freakin' hard IMO. I have nothing but respect for someone who gets their GED.) But this girl was never going to be a cashier at Walmart (her parent's goal). And her parents didn't want to hear it, either. It is so hard to watch a family in denial like that.

StantonHyde
07-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Has she been tested for a learning disability? I know this is not your responsibility--more like the advisors/counselors--but it might be worth mentioning to her. I know plenty of people who managed to get some sort of a degree just by working really hard --if she is really putting in all that effort, she should be sort of ok. That is why I mention the disability.

hobie
07-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Where are the guidance counselors or academic advisors in this? Why are they letting her sign up for courses she is clearly unprepared for?

Yes. If she can't do the lower course work, why is she trying to do the harder stuff?

dogmom
07-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Spell check is probably playing a role also, would be my guess.