PDA

View Full Version : Infant Carrier Confusion

BluegrassMama
07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi All,

I am new here and in my first pregnancy. I have read through the Baby Bargains book, but am still confused over which infant carrier that we should get - we're torn between the Chicco KeyFit and the Snugride. We do not want a travel system and like that the Graco Sungride will snap into the stroller frames. However, the Chicco KeyFit seems to be an easier installation, but the book suggests that it won't work with the stroller frames. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

babychi
07-16-2009, 03:39 PM
FWIW, I'm due in December and am purchasing the Chicco Keyfit. I think the installation is a snap and I love the look of it, much more so than any of the Graco seats. We will be using the Keyfit with the BOB Revolution...it does not state that it's compatible, but we've seen people use it and have asked how to install it with the infant adapter. If you remove the bottom bar of the infant adapter but keep the top bar installed, the seat fits very securely.

I've also heard and have seen that the Keyfit works with the Maclaren Easy Traveler, but we live in the city and need a stroller that's a bit more rugged. Maybe that would be a better option for you? Good luck! :)

DebbieJ
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
The Key Fit is a nice seat, but you're right, it's not universally compatible.

You can't go wrong with a Snugride. It's nice that the infant seats have higher weight limits and all these days, but the reality is that you will be sick of carrying the thing after about 6 mths or so (if you baby still fits). I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm using a hand me down SR 22 this time around. DS was in a Marathon by 3 mths (even though he could have fit in his infant seat for much, much longer--he just hated it), so I'm hoping I'll get through the Chicago winter with this babe in the infant seat!

AnnieW625
07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
The Key Fit blows away the Snugride 32 only because of the nicer fabrics, and better patterns, but yes the SR 32/SR has the universally compatable seats but others have reported that it still clicks into the stroller frame. You might get a couple more months out of the Snugride 32 too, but that's really the only advantage I have seen. I know for sure that Uppa Baby Vista has one for the Key Fit, but not sure about other stroller brands. I wouldn't not get a carseat just because it wasn't compatable with a stroller. If you like it get it because it's those little things that will keep you sane the first couple of weeks you have your child.

I didn't have an adaptor for my SR22 with DD and I didn't really miss it too much except it might have made dr. visits a little easier. I had a Peg Pliko for three months and then bought a Maclaren Triumph as soon as DD could hold her head up at 3 mos (the min. age for the stroller too) I went back to work when DD was 4 mos. old though so my experience won't be the same as someone who stayed off work longer or was a stay at home mom.

zukeypur
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm opting to skip the baby bucket altogether. I borrowed one from my brother with the last baby, but she screamed non stop in the car so we switched to a marathon at 6 months. I honestly hate carrying those buckets and would rather either wear the baby or use a stroller when we're out. I just can't see spending that much money on a bucket that will only be used for a few months when you can spend that much money on a convertible that can be used for years. We're going with the coccoro because of the small size and the great infant padding. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm just presenting another option.

codex57
07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I have the SR22. I haven't found it to be difficult to install with both LATCH and seatbelt without the base.

I love how it's compatible with all sorts of things. Not just strollers. I've got two swing thingies for home use that I can just snap the SR into. There was one period of time where DS was kinda cranky and wouldn't sleep. Only solution was to take him for a quick car ride, have him sorta fall asleep, and then take him in the bucket and let teh swing rock him to deep sleep so I wouldn't have to waste a ton of gas.

AnnieW625
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Those swing things for the infant seats are great. A friend of mine had them with her twins and I know I am going to get one when I have another kid.

codex57
07-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I have the Graco travel one. It's ok. Makes too loud a clicky noise.

We mainly used the Graco SweetPeace. Freaking awesome! A/c powered so no need for batteries. Speaker is really loud so it can double as an iPod speaker system. The seat can be put in 3 different positions to simulate different ways of rocking. DS still likes to play with it even tho it's been months since he's sat in it (messes with the buttons and likes to see the swing move and hear the different music).

eliasmom
07-18-2009, 10:08 PM
FWIW, I bought a KeyFit 30 for DS and it works just fine with a 2002-era Kolcraft Universal stroller frame. It doesn't snap in, but I always used the strap anyway with the old SR 22 I had for DD. And I L-O-V-E my KeyFit.

gatorsmom
07-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I used a Snugride 22 for my first 2 babies. Honestly, I loved that I could choose almost any stroller and knew the Snugride would be compatible.

For the twins I chose the Graco Safeseats (which are now called Snugride 32) for 2 reasons. First, since the twins fit in the Safeseats longer (they are just finally coming close to being too long for the seats and they are 20months old. My older boys outgrew their Snugrides22 at 8months), I'll be able to put them in convertible carseats later. That's important to me because most convertible carseats expire after 6 years. I KNOW the twins' convertible carseats won't expire before my babies outgrow them if they start using them at 20 months (my friend's son's seat expired before he outgrew it so she has to buy him a SECOND convertible seat.) Second, I like being able to keep baby contained in certain situations. Like in the restroom at Target- baby can't stay in the cart and where do I put her/him when I need to use the restroom? On the floor? ick). It's true I don't feel like lugging the seats around now that the twins are 22 lbs but then I just leave the seats in the car and carry the baby out. Snugrides and Safeseats are also VERY easy to install correctly.

I've heard great things about the Chicco Keyfit but I really liked knowing my carseat was compatible with nearly all strollers. hth.

BeccaB.
07-18-2009, 11:51 PM
I loved my snug ride. It was very easy to install with the latch and gave a choice of strollers. It is also a lot lighter than the Chicocco (or however you spell it). This was really important to us a DS is a big kid. We switched out of the infant carrier at 6 months because it was heavy and DS didn't like sitting at that angle anymore.