PDA

View Full Version : My Child is a Biter

swrc00
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I picked up DS from daycare and there was an incident report stating he had bit another child. He is 8 months and he has bit me a few times. I always respond with no bite and tell him no. When he cries he gets upset so I think he is understanding no or at least that I am not happy with him. Help!!! What should I do? I don't want this to become a repeat problem.

Susan

elliput
07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Wait it out. It is really difficult to assess at 8 months if biting is more than just an attempt to check out the environment, relieve teething pain, or if it actually is aggression.

citymama
07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Don't do it! Label your kid that is. As I read the message header, I thought to myself, "I bet this as a little 18 month old who is being labeled as a biter" But 8 months old! He's a tyke! No idea what he is doing or the effect it's having. And it's not so different at 18 months. If he was 3 or 4 and biting, then it would be different, but he's just (literally) feeling his teeth at this point! Get him a nice chewy toy to take to daycare and have them hand it to him when he chews on another kid. ;)

swrc00
07-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I think I am going to send his net feeder with him to daycare. He loves frozen bananas and ice cubes in it. It would be a good distraction.