PDA

View Full Version : Do you label a back pack?

niccig
07-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I need to get some labels etc for DS's school things and I was thinking about his back pack as the combo label kit I think I will get comes with 2 tags for a backpack. I don't monogram DS's back pack because of safety, but I do have to find a way to put his name on his back pack, so the teachers can see who it belongs to. I will also write it on teh inside of the pack. So, do you put your child's name on a name tag or something similar?

DS is going into pre-K and I will be always picking him up/dropping him off, so the chances of a stranger reading his name off his pack are slim...but I'm all about teaching him stranger danger and lessening the risks to him.

Thanks.

Nicci

SnuggleBuggles
07-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I only labeled it on the inside, where there was a spot to do so. I used marker.

Beth

s7714
07-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Our school requests that such items be labeled clearly so they can identify owners without having to dig through things. If they don't see a clear name, it goes straight to lost & found (otherwise they look up your classroom). We label backpacks on the part that rests against your back when it's worn, so you can only see it if it's not being worn.

Neatfreak
07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
We label backpacks on the part that rests against your back when it's worn, so you can only see it if it's not being worn.

:yeahthat:

Only labeling the inside would not work.

hellokitty
07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
The Mabel's Labels pkg I bought last yr came with two, "keychain" tags. I put that on my son's backpack, it makes it very easy to ID.

niccig
07-17-2009, 12:22 AM
The Mabel's Labels pkg I bought last yr came with two, "keychain" tags. I put that on my son's backpack, it makes it very easy to ID.

This is what I was going to get with the Mabel's combo package. I'm probably being over cautious, but I've read about not having your name on any luggage/backpack as someone can read it then approach you by name like they know you. I can understand that the teacher's want something on the outside of the pack to easily ID the owner, and they won't necessarily open it up to see what I've written on the inside.

egoldber
07-17-2009, 07:17 AM
I've done several different things.

On one it came with free monogramming, so I had Sarah's initials monogrammed on it. I regret that now because Amy can't use it. I mean she could, but it might be confusing for her teachers. There is also a slot on the "back" (the part that would be worn against the bag) to hold an info tag, I wrote her full name, teacher's name and bus number on that tag. I can change it out so I change it every year.

On another one, I wrote just our last name on the outside. I like this. We still use this one a lot, but I like that I can use it for either kid AND it is easily identifiable to teachers since it is a somewhat common backpack in our area (LLBean dragonfly pattern) but our last name is fairly uncommon.

On her current backpack, her name is just on the tag that is against the "back". It is harder to identify that way, but luckily I haven't yet noticed another kid in her school with this backpack.

If I were an elementary teacher, I don't know that I would feel comfortable digging around in a kid's backpack for info. This is a somewhat sticky area legally, no?

vonfirmath
07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
PLEASE put something on the outside of the bag to identify it.

I work in the nursery at church, and I can not remember whose diaper bag is whose, and the ones that have things on the outside make my job MUCH easier -- and teachers have more kids and less help in remembering.

hellokitty
07-17-2009, 10:31 AM
This is what I was going to get with the Mabel's combo package. I'm probably being over cautious, but I've read about not having your name on any luggage/backpack as someone can read it then approach you by name like they know you. I can understand that the teacher's want something on the outside of the pack to easily ID the owner, and they won't necessarily open it up to see what I've written on the inside.

That's why I just put his first initial and then last name on it, for safety reasons. Both of my older boys have the same first initial... so part of it is also b/c I am a cheapo and only wanted to buy one pkg of mabels labels for my two boys to share, lol. We aren't sticking to the same first initial for this 3rd baby, so darn, I will have to buy a whole new set of mabels labels, lol.

o_mom
07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
We have luggage tags that are 'covered', so you have to unsnap part of it to read the name part and someone can't just glance to see it. I label it with first and last name and my cell number.

tryin
07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I've taught elem for over 10 years. I always put the name on the inside top of the backpack. All you need to do is unzip and take a peek in the inside top to identify it. It's not difficult to do because I don't need to do it often, the kids are really good at identifying each other's backpacks by sight.

rlu
07-17-2009, 07:56 PM
We have luggage tags that are 'covered', so you have to unsnap part of it to read the name part and someone can't just glance to see it. I label it with first and last name and my cell number.

We have these too, except the cover has an opening for the name. You can't read this unless you are extremely close. I just hooked this to the loop at the top of his backpack. I got mine from Target a few years ago.

neeleymartin
07-17-2009, 09:04 PM
On another one, I wrote just our last name on the outside. I like this. We still use this one a lot, but I like that I can use it for either kid AND it is easily identifiable to teachers

similarly, we have labeled all of our monogrammable llbean stuff with a roman capital "M" for our last name. that way the bags can be used by one and all. teachers (as i am one, gr 1) know what backpack belongs to which kid. whether it's the keychains, the colors, the stains on the outside, etc. even the duplicates can easily be told apart, some are dirtier than others. hth...

niccig
07-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone. Our backpack should be here this week, so I'll see which of your suggestions would work best.