PDA

View Full Version : What to buy for an 18 month old? Needs to pack in my suitcase!

Corie
07-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I would like to bring something to my nephew when we see him
in August. He will be 18 months old.

I just need to be able to pack it in my suitcase. And not take up alot
of room in my suitcase.

Any thoughts come to mind?

Thanks!!!

bubbaray
07-16-2009, 09:05 PM
WHat is your budget? Do you want to buy clothes or toys or books or ???

Books don't take up much room, but are heavy. If you are driving, weight isn't an issue. If you are flying and weight is an issue, I'd do something useful like a winter hat and mitts or similar. Possibly Robeez -- kids here were them inside like slippers when they are older.

Corie
07-16-2009, 09:21 PM
WHat is your budget? Do you want to buy clothes or toys or books or ???

Books don't take up much room, but are heavy. If you are driving, weight isn't an issue. If you are flying and weight is an issue, I'd do something useful like a winter hat and mitts or similar. Possibly Robeez -- kids here were them inside like slippers when they are older.

I am flying to Ohio so I would prefer no books. Too heavy.

My sister lives in Texas so he doesn't need a winter hat or mittens. :) He could
probably use a hand-held fan with a water spritzer right about now. It's been
well over a 100 degrees for quite awhile. (So glad that we moved to RI.)

I would prefer a toy. :)

Thanks for the ideas though!!!

P.S. I just sent him a box of my son's outgrown toys which included
soft blocks from Lakeshore Learning, Fisher Price doctor kit, a roaring dinosaur
which totally freaked him out, plus other toys.
But I hate to see him in August and be empty-handed.

alirebco
07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
How about a wooden puzzle or two? DS is 18 months and his favorites are books, puzzles, and cars.

ett
07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
How about some of the Lauri brand toys? (They got bought by Patch Products recently.)

Tall Stacker Pegs and Pegboard
http://www.amazon.com/Patch-Products-Tall%252dStacker-Pegs-Pegboard/dp/B00000J4HK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247795033&sr=8-2

Toddler tote
http://www.amazon.com/Lauri-2116-Toddler-Tote/dp/B00006JBKT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247795175&sr=1-1

Shape and color sorter
http://www.amazon.com/SHAPE-COLOR-SORTER-AGES-2%252d6/dp/B00000IV8D/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1247795206&sr=1-5

I just listed a couple but they have a bunch of other things good for that age.

Melaine
07-16-2009, 09:50 PM
How about a wooden puzzle or two? DS is 18 months and his favorites are books, puzzles, and cars.

:yeahthat:

My kids love wooden puzzles and they pack nice and flat. They really got (and still do get) a lot of use out of the alphabet puzzle from Target.

brittone2
07-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Gertie ball? Packs flat, lightweight...most 18 month olds like balls :)

bubbaray
07-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Playsilks? Doesn't get much lighter than that.

If you took an Aquadoodle out of the box, it would be very lightweight and would pack small. My 2yo uses ours, so it would be fine for him in a few months.

I think wooden puzzles are far too heavy for airline travel, unless you're not packing shoes!

vonfirmath
07-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Chubbies vehicles.

Could you order something and have it shipped to you at your nephew's house. so it is there waiting for you? That's what I do when I'm travelling.

ahrimie
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
How about an inflatable pool? We got one as a gift that I think is pretty cool... has a canopy kind of over the top too. We actually took it down to Oklahoma with us and left it at my parents' to use next time.

srhs
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Do you have an IKEA? DS likes his soft hand puppets we got there. Light and easy to pack and cheap! He can't really 'do' them, but he likes when we do and will play with them nonetheless.

bubbaray
07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Oooh, good idea on Ikea. What about their tent? that is super light and easy to pack. My kids love their Ikea tent.

Corie
07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
How about an inflatable pool? We got one as a gift that I think is pretty cool... has a canopy kind of over the top too. We actually took it down to Oklahoma with us and left it at my parents' to use next time.

My sister lives in Texas and I live in Rhode Island but we are meeting up
in Cincinnati where all of our cousins live. :)

I think the pool may be too hard. Great idea though!!

Corie
07-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Oooh, good idea on Ikea. What about their tent? that is super light and easy to pack. My kids love their Ikea tent.

I do need to go to Ikea this week.

What does the tent look like? Like a real tent? or a bed tent?

etaylor75
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Since she's travelling, this would be great:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2674099&CAWELAID=108270579

Erin