PDA

View Full Version : What to do with $100?

vmcorno
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
So, a very good family friend (older man with no kids) has come to visit us for a few days. He told me tonight that he would like to spend $100 on our three kids (ages almost 5, 2 1/2, and 13 mos) and wants me to tell him what to buy. It could be one thing or several. WWYD?

We really don't need any more toys or clothes. I have thought of books, as our DS has just started to sound out words and is also starting to enjoy listening to us read chapter books to him. We have very few chapter books or early readers, but this would be mostly for DS and not the other two (they would get the benefit eventually). Our nearest children's museum is over an hour away so we rarely make the drive and we already have a family pass to the local zoo. I've also tried to think of something more sentimental, but I'm not coming up with anything. Also, if it helps anyone's creativity, our friend is a musicologist (music historian) and both my DH and I are classically trained musicians.

What are your ideas?

brittone2
07-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Do you already have a nice variety of kid instruments? I might pick some sort of bigger instrument (glockenspiel? Lap harp? ) and then some smaller ones to go with it. Some Remo drums, egg shakers, etc. if you don't have them already? YOu could make it a family band experience?

Easel and nice art supplies?

I sometimes like to window shop the Waldorf and Montessori websites (forsmallhands, etc.) for inspiration :) I always end up with ideas after that LOL.

ljackson
07-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I think a large box of Magnatiles is about $100 and would be good for all ages.

ett
07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
A set of unit blocks could also be used by all of your kids.