PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me about Fiesta Ware?

scmama
07-16-2009, 11:33 PM
I've been thinking about getting some new dishes and I keep going back to the idea of fiesta ware. If you have these dishes, do you like them? Do most people mix and match colors or do they get the same color? My MIL has some pieces and I really like them. I like the idea about mixing and matching but I'm not sure.

brittone2
07-16-2009, 11:37 PM
I just bought some at Macy's for my mom when they were on sale (about $20 per setting). She wanted Tangerine and Sunflower...she's mixing and matching.

They are made in the USA I believe and lead free.

The plates can go in the oven.

No personal experience w/ it yet but I've always thought they were cool...I like the mix and match thing. Lots of fun :)

Laurel
07-16-2009, 11:40 PM
We have them and mix and match with four colors. I have four place settings of each color so I can change it up. They hold up really well, our oldest pieces are 10 years old and look just like new. I think they are a classic.

kmak
07-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I've had them for years now and love them. They are very inexpensive if you watch for the frequent sales at Macy's. I love having lots of different colors. They hold up well. We'll use them in the oven for re-heats and always washed in the dishwasher. They're still beautiful.

The company (Homer Laughlin, sp?) will discontinue colors sometimes or colors will only last for a couple of years. These colors have jumped up in value by at least 5x if not more. So, keep watch on this through the years and put away the colors that go discontinued.

tiapam
07-16-2009, 11:51 PM
I thought about getting some, but then my MIL pointed out that they are very heavy. I have issues with my hands sometimes so I am glad she mentioned it to me. So we got Corelle instead. They are so much lighter I can unload the dishwasher more quickly than before. The Corelle also stack nicely, taking up little space.

maylips
07-17-2009, 08:19 AM
We are on the same wavelink...I posted this just a week or so ago:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328715

Then I ordered 10 lunch plates/10 cereal plates off of megachina.com. I got two of each in shamrock, turquoise, sunflower, scarlet and tangerine. LOVE them. They are a little heavier than I thought they'd be, but the colors are happy and even DH liked them. I have since ordered a 16 piece plate setting in one of each color, minus the scarlet, but I'll have to add to that later.

I actually also really like the sizes offered in plates and bowls. You're not limited to the standard sizes, which also helps with mixing and matching. We can eat a lot of meals off those lunch-sized plates.

Jen841
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I have all white. I know boring, but it makes everything match. I use pitchers etc for spashes of color. I have had it for 9 years. Few marks on it, but I know with a little elbow grease those will go away. Have broken 1 plate in that time, easy to replace. Use every it everyday and put it in the dish washer.

There is a Homer Laughlin outlet store and website. No idea if they have good deals or not on the website. I have received gifts from the outlet of accessory pieces that I love.

Go for it!

wellyes
07-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I was going to get some, but I read on amazon that it gets silverware marks (like stoneware). Went with Corelle instead.

happi
07-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I have the fiesta dishes and love them. I have had them several years and they have held up very well. They do not break or chip easily at all. The only plate that I have broken was one that fell off of the top of the refrigerator with defrosting meat on it. They are on the heavy side, seems like the dark colored ones are heavier than the light ones.

kransden
07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
What do you want to know? There are currently 15 colors, chocolate will go away and be a limited production run. A new color lemongrass is coming out soon. You can bake with it up to 400+ degrees. It has a vitrified ceramic body, which means it is very sturdy. It can be put in the freezer too. Some people use 1 color, some use a couple. I have them all. I arrange them by season. The brights for summer, black, tangerine etc. for fall. Scarlett and evergreen for the holidays. I've had it since 1997 and am still happy.

Babymakes3
07-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I registered for it for my wedding and received everything I wanted! Unfortunately it scratched major with knives and forks so I then had the hassle of returning everything...without receipts mostly. It wasn't easy and I was bummed! I still don't have any new dishes bc I can't find anything I really like!

I would say stay away from Fiesta!

hellokitty
07-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I thought about getting some, but then my MIL pointed out that they are very heavy. I have issues with my hands sometimes so I am glad she mentioned it to me. So we got Corelle instead. They are so much lighter I can unload the dishwasher more quickly than before. The Corelle also stack nicely, taking up little space.

I have the same issue. My mil got all white fiesta ware (which I think looks too drab) about 10 yrs ago and not only do they take up a ton of space to store, but I cannot get over how HEAVY they are. I think that the colors for fiesta ware are really pretty and fun though and I can see why ppl are drawn to that. I do not put any of my plates/bowls into the oven, so that's not a feature I need. I think that when our current set of dishes wears out, I'm going to just go with Corelle as well. I like how it takes hardly any space at all in the cupboard and very little space in the DW too. We got 4 of the divided Corelle plates several yrs ago for our kids and I've been so impressed with them. They're not as pretty as some of the other plates, but practically speaking I think that they suit our lifestyle better than the fiesta ware.

scmama
07-17-2009, 11:49 AM
We are on the same wavelink...I posted this just a week or so ago:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328715

I must of missed your thread. I'm glad you went ahead and ordered some. I love the colors you choose too. I'm going to go shopping today and see them again IRL. :)

Globetrotter
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
We are fans!

I was nervous about the weight and scratches. However, the scratches are slight and show up mostly on the darker colors. If that will bother you, stick to lighter/medium colors. Honestly, after all the debating and indecision, it really doesn't bother me at all, even on the darker colors.

They aren't extremely heavy, though a lot heavier and bulkier than corelle of course :) I returned a set of Lands End dishes (ages ago) because they were really heavy and bulky... it's all relative.

If you like the idea of having some fun colors and the mix and match aspect, go for it! They are very durable and kid friendly. Definitely check them out in person before ordering online.

I love seeing the bright colors - it makes me happy :) I am a "color" person, though. I can't fathom the thought of Crate and Barrel type white dishes!

Globetrotter
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm curious, for Macys shoppers, what is considered a great deal? I have a Macy's rewards card now, so I get additional coupons, too.

I just saw the lemongrass in person :love5: