PDA

View Full Version : Is an ottoman really necessary?

cizzo67
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I am buying a little castle glider and am wondering if the ottoman is a necessity, or if I could get away using a nursing stool instead. The matching ottoman is pricey (as is the chair) so I would like to save money where I can.

I am a first time mom, so any help you can give is much appreciated! Thanks.

Melaine
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I think it's worth it!! I loved mine and being able to simultaneously rock the chair and stool...
I'd get a used one with an ottoman over a new one w/o, if it were me.

Claki
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
I am wondering the same thing. We're also looking at the Little Castle gliders. What is a nursing stool?

cizzo67
07-17-2009, 02:29 PM
A nursing stool is a smaller "foot stool to improve mother's positioning during feeding or pumping. Helps eliminate back, shoulder, leg, and arm strain by elevating the lap." Here is a picture:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=33&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=NA&cm_pla=NA&cm_ite=01457

ErinMC
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
This is a nursing stool: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2403243

When I bought a glider for DS1, I didn't want to spend the money on an ottoman, so I just got a nursing stool instead. Honestly, I never missed the ottoman. While I have friends who raved about their ottomans, I quickly got used to the stool and it worked great for me for both DS's. And when I nursed at friends' houses, I used to try to ottoman and end up pushing it away. Personal preference, I suppose.

neeleymartin
07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I think it's worth it!! I loved mine and being able to simultaneously rock the chair and stool...
I'd get a used one with an ottoman over a new one w/o, if it were me.

:yeahthat: there are nights that feet up makes the frequent wake-ups just a bit more bearable.

mnosky1
07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I have found the nursing stool is enough - neither nursery had a ton of extra space for a huge ottoman and I am glad I never bought one. The nursing stool works fine for feeding and then after bottles were done, I usually put it away to make more room.

Nechums
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't like my Dutalier ottoman. I find that the rocking motion causes the ottoman to inch farther away from me until it's too far for my feet to reach. Maybe it's just me and my posture.

Oh, and I find that sometimes it goes in the opposite direction that my chair is rocking.

s7714
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Personally I found the glider ottoman to be uncomfortable when I tried them in the stores. My knees hurt after sitting there for a while. We looked at a version with a built in nursing foot rest, but didn't feel it was worth the money to pay extra for that when we didn't like the ottoman to begin with.

I ended up buying a little wood nursing foot rest and I loved the fact I could just push it back under the glider when I was done, so it wasn't in my way. When you're trying to transplant a sleeping baby, the last thing you want to do is have to maneuver around or stumble over a ottoman in front of you. ;)

Beth_in_CT
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
We have a shermag from BRU and LOVE the gliding ottoman. I can lock it in one place and it has a nursing stool. In my opinion, the gliding ottoman is fabulous and very necessary!