PDA

View Full Version : Chicago w/4 year old: Shedd Aquarium or the Field Museum?

gilliesgal
07-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Trying to decide between the two. . . Shedd Aquarium had a recent renovation and has a Polar Play Zone targeting 2-7 year old kids, but how can you beat dinosaurs at the Field Museum? I can't decide. Anyone been to both destinations recently with thoughts to share? We can't do both and I'm not sure which one to hit. He was at the aquarium last summer and loved the dolphin show, but I think he'd get a kick out of these new areas. There's a new pirate exhibit at the Field Museum, but I heard that it doesn't cater to young kids. Ah, decisions decisions. . .

Fairy
07-17-2009, 04:48 PM
SHEDD. Or bag the whole thing and go to the MSI. By far, the best of the three.

arivecchi
07-17-2009, 05:13 PM
SHEDD. Or bag the whole thing and go to the MSI. By far, the best of the three.:yeahthat:

cono0507
07-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Agreed. My 4yo loves Shedd. Field has a small children's area in the basement and the dinosaurs are cool but they just don't keep his attention like Shedd does. Try to avoid Shedd on the weekend if you can. It gets crazy busy.

arivecchi
07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
The Museum of Science and Industry is heaven for toddler boys. That is what we meant by MSI.

Momof3Labs
07-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Neither. I also vote for the Museum of Science and Industry (MSI). My boys beg to go there weekly; there is so much to hold their attention. We got a membership there a few years back and renew it annually.

Shedd is okay but gets horribly crowded on the weekends, not to mention the huge lines going in if you are not a member. And it only takes a few hours to go through there. Parking is kind of a hassle too (and expensive). We had a membership for one year and that was enough.

Field Museum is better than Shedd (or so my boys think) but is still pretty grown up for a 4yo. DS2 isn't crazy about it; DS1 enjoys it a lot more. Parking is the same hassle as Shedd. We currently have a membership there but haven't gone much as they have so much more fun at MSI.

GraceH
07-18-2009, 02:16 AM
MSI has more interactive things for 4yo than either the Shedd or Field...