PDA

View Full Version : Where does your 1st grader or older child do their homework?

ett
07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
And do they have their own desk?

DS1 will be entering first grade in the fall and I'm assuming he will be getting homework. (we didn't have any in kindergarten.) Right now, when DS1 does desk work stuff he has a small ikea table that he uses. But it's in the living room (no playroom, so we play most in our living room) and there's usually lots of distraction with DS2 running around. I'm really not seeing that as a great place to do homework so I'm thinking of getting a desk for his bedroom. If your DC has a desk, where did you purchase it from?

Thanks!

justlearning
07-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Although he has other places he can do homework in our house, I found last year that it was best to have DS do his kindergarten homework at the island in the kitchen so I could help him while I cook dinner/do dishes. Even though he actually is able to do the work independently, I like talking with him about what he's doing to reinforce the concepts. So I'm guessing that the island will continue to be his homework spot for a few more years at least.

ETA that I just reread your post so it sounds like you're concerned about DS2 distracting him so the kitchen may not work for you. To answer your desk question, we got his desk at a thrift store for $10. Craigslist would also be a good option IMO.

Pennylane
07-17-2009, 06:41 PM
My DD usually ends up doing her work at the kitchen island too. She has a desk in her room and will go there to do her journal entries, but normally she likes me close by when she works.

Ann

ETA: I also did not read the question very well! We purchased my DD's desk when we bought her bedroom furniture at a local store.

alexsmommy
07-17-2009, 06:56 PM
DSD has a desk in her room and when things are chaotic on the first floor, I make her go up there to study. When she in first through fifth grades, she gravitated towards the dining room table so I could help her as needed. I tried to give her a break when she first got home so often she would do her homework while I prepped dinner. Her room has limited floor space and she wanted a double bed when she started h.s. so I got her a desk from Targets "Do Your Room" line that fit in small space left with the double and gave her a good workspace.
DS1 has a desk to match his bedroom furniture and I anticipate that like DSD, it won't get much practical use until he is older, but his bed is a double so the plan is for him to have this set until he leaves home. For now I'm sure he'll be at the dining room table so I can keep and eye on him and help. Same set up on the days my parents watch him and he does his homework there.

I do think if your DC is easily distracted and needs cues for "study time" then a dedicated desk can be useful, but kids do like to spread out so kitchen islands and tables are fine in most cases for young kids.

egoldber
07-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Although he has other places he can do homework in our house, I found last year that it was best to have DS do his kindergarten homework at the island in the kitchen so I could help him while I cook dinner/do dishes. Even though he actually is able to do the work independently, I like talking with him about what he's doing to reinforce the concepts. So I'm guessing that the island will continue to be his homework spot for a few more years at least.

This is what we do.

I do find that Sarah does her homework best without the distraction of little sis around, but we wait until she goes to bed or first thing in the morning.

jess_g
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
My son also does his homework at the kitchen table so I can help him if he needs help. I find having him in a central place helps alot. We also have the problem of the younger sibling getting in the way during homework time but I try to setup an activity like blocks for the younger one. We are setting up a talbe in the laundry room for homework activities next year so hopefully that will work well and be a quieter place. Ikea is a great place to find inexpensive desks and tables for kids.

Jessica.

lmintzer
07-17-2009, 08:22 PM
My soon-to-be 3rd grader does his homework at the kitchen table. When he gets home, we sit down together (with little brother) for snack. After snack, he pulls out his homework, and I help as needed. Little brother sits and makes his own math problems or draws or as of late, plays Sudoku. I know--an unusual interest for a little kiddo, but he loves it.

SnuggleBuggles
07-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Dining room table. I had cleared off another table in the main part of the house and set up all his art and school supplies but he prefers to do it at the dining room table.

Beth

pakin
07-18-2009, 10:54 AM
DS is very easily distracted. After dinner, he does his homework in his bedroom. DH is usually there to help him. He has this desk:

http://www.target.com/Sauder-Lexington-Computer-Desk-Cherry/dp/B00029TNFM/sr=1-11/qid=1247928427/ref=sr_1_11/181-6730895-0762053?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Asauder&page=1

I bought it at a local Sauder store.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

g-mama
07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
We set our ds up with a desk in his room....which he never uses except to sit and draw.

He wants to do his homework at the kitchen table, no matter how much noise and commotion are coming from his two younger brothers. I have to admit that it just makes more sense for him to do it nearby so he can consult w/ me when he has a question or so I can peek over and make sure he's on the right track. But when it comes to a writing project, like writing a book report or writing sentences, I do send him upstairs so he can concentrate better. So I guess it kinda depends on the situation at the time and what type of work he's doing.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
07-18-2009, 01:26 PM
She'll be allowed to do it anywhere she wants to as long as she gets it right. I had to do my homework in my room at my desk and I hated it. The desk was too small and was just a sucky work environment.

She can do her homework outside,inside, handing upside down. Doesn't matter as long as it's correct and on time.

kijip
07-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Dining room table or outside in the yard or sometimes on his craft table (which he will shortly be too large for).

He has a desk on the landing between the bedrooms and the bath room (little alcove) but it is a small desk and mostly consumed by his old-school iMac.

ett
07-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I do agree that it would be good for DS1 to be close to me so I can supervise, but still have a quiet place to work if that's what he wants. And yeah, I guess as long as he's doing everything correctly, it doesn't matter where he works!

TahliasMom
07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
dd has some homework in pre-k and she ended up doing it at the kitchen table while i cooked/cleaned. she does have a little mission style toddler desk that she colors and draws at but she always migrate toward the kitchen.

when we move into our condo i might get a bigger desk for her room.

Asianmommy
07-19-2009, 06:35 PM
DD did her homework at the kitchen table. Convenient for me, because I could help her & check it while I was working on dinner. Her little sister could also sit at the table & draw or something. If it got too noisy, DD could go to her room and work at her desk, but she rarely had to do this.