PDA

View Full Version : Maybe personal but

Carianne
07-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I was wondering what type of pads I should pack in my bag for myself. I'm sure the hospital will give me some of the GIANT ones, but can I just use regular pads once I'm at home? What are you gals doing? Or did you gals do? (I never buy pads, so that's why I'm asking!)
Thanks!

Baby boy EDD 8/17

neeleymartin
07-17-2009, 08:23 PM
don't pack any. you will need the hospital ones the day you go home. my discharge with ds1 was very heavy for about a week (used the giant hospital pads). then it was like a very heavy period for about another week (overnights) and then used regular always for about 3 weeks or so.

my discharge was lighter with ds2. heavy at first but became lighter much quicker. not sure if that's b/c it was #2.

so to answer your question, bring none. you will be fine with the hospital diapers. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I packed some of the heavier duty Always' brand ones but never used them. The ones provided at both the hospital and birth center were just fine.

Beth

AngelaS
07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
In the hospital, use the giant hospital ones.

To come home, buy the big, long, thin Always. :)

hellokitty
07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
The hospital will send you home with whatever pks of pads, baby diapers, breast pads, etc. that were still open when you are discharged from the hospital. So, those ginormous pads they have you wear at the hospital... you'll have some leftover for home use too. They are actually pretty handy, b/c from my experience, my lochia was still pretty heavy by the time I got home.

BayGirl2
07-17-2009, 10:11 PM
The hospital didn't send any home with me. I guess I could have taken some, but my pack was empty. I brought a few of the thin heavy always pads and it was nice to wear one home. Not sure I could have fit the huge one under real clothes. I don't usually wear pads either so it was really nice to get out of the huge diaper ones.

Do have a box or two ready at home. Maybe some heavy and some regular, depending on what your usual flow is like.

Also, I read from a midwife to pour which hazel on some pads and freeze them. These were really nice to have ready when I got home. You can use Tucks pads too, they'll give you these in the hospital, but the frozen cold ones seemed to work better.

pharmjenn
07-18-2009, 03:23 AM
The ones my hospital used were without the stick, so you just laid them in your underwear (or the hospital netting underwear, yuck!) So I used my own Always, long pads with wings while in hospital and after discharge. This helped avoid the leaking in front and behind.

And I agree with the witch hazel. If you have a vaginal delivery with any sort of tearing, it is wonderful. I used up my Tucks and used some witch hazel on a pad. Very soothing

catsnkid
07-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I just packed crappy underwear and wore the hospital one home.. took them home and never used them.. Wore my usual brand at home.. Did actually buy more a few days later.. 60 or so is a good amount to have on hand.

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2009, 05:23 PM
The ones my hospital used were without the stick, so you just laid them in your underwear (or the hospital netting underwear, yuck!) So I used my own Always, long pads with wings while in hospital and after discharge. This helped avoid the leaking in front and behind.

And I agree with the witch hazel. If you have a vaginal delivery with any sort of tearing, it is wonderful. I used up my Tucks and used some witch hazel on a pad. Very soothing

I loved the mesh undies. So comfortable. There was a discussion on the boards about them once and it was probably 60/40 in favor of those undies. :)

When making the witch hazel pads, drape them over the back of a bowl when you put them in the freezer so they have a good shape.

Beth