PDA

View Full Version : Bra recs...larger cup size

MontrealMum
07-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I know we've done this before, but please, if you can hit me with your favorite fancy brands that combine small band (32/34) with larger cup (D/DD) I'd appreciate it. I want to place an order from Nordie's for the sale and have it shipped to my mom's so I can get it when we're down on vacation.

I have the Tisha and another Le Mystere and neither fit all that well, Natori seems better, so it's my go-to. Any other brands/styles to try? Freya looks a bit uncomfortable, but who can say. And I don't know about Chantelle or Waocaol but have heard good things about both.

TIA!

bubbaray
07-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Not expensive (in the US at least) and available at The Bay in Canada, I have had recent success with Bali, specifically the Seductive Curves (http://www.balicompany.com/detail.asp?col=12&cat=1&styleno=3270&color=NF)line. They are push up (b/c I really need the help in that department after BFg 2 kids). Lightly lined/padded so works well with t-shirts. They are around $40Cdn at The Bay, but often they have sales (B1, G1 50% off, etc). I've seen Bali in the US at Macys, but not the same selection of styles.

Cam&Clay
07-17-2009, 11:42 PM
I only wear Fantasie. They sell them at Nordie's and I know they come in larger cup sizes. I'm a 38G, but I've seen them in the smaller band sizes.

kristenk
07-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Have you tried Chantelle?

MontrealMum
07-17-2009, 11:59 PM
No, I haven't tried Chantelle, but if you have any particular favorite styles, I'd love to hear. Especially if they provide good *lift* :)

MontrealMum
07-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I will certainly check out Bali at the Bay - have never tried them on before. And I had not heard of Fanatasie - but it's a great name, with much promise! I HATE bra shopping :( (Yes, I've been professionally fitted, I keep changing sizes w/losses and gains).

bubbaray
07-18-2009, 12:23 AM
In January, I went into my local Bay lingerie department looking my favorite bra. Which is so old, its no longer made. I asked the bra fitter and she literally gasped in horror. She asked me how old it was and I told her it was at least 5 years, probably considerably older than that. I think she actually shuddered a little.

Anyway, she told me I definitely needed more "lift" (um, yeah, you could say that). She also told me that my breast tissue was in my armpits b/c I had been wearing illfitting bras.

Sure enough, 6m later in properly fitting, comfy bras, my breast tissue definitely seems to have migrated back to where it should be. :thumbsup:

bluestar2
07-18-2009, 12:31 AM

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Wacoal is really good.

nfowife
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
It's not a fancy brand, but I have discovered this bra and love the way it fits (and I have had many fancy bras before):

http://www.playtexbras.com/styles/secrets/detail.asp?style=4422

I also love that it has 4 hooks in the back! I've never found one that does in my size before and it's great! Sounds granny but, it is so much more comfy and supportive and less backfat issues! I'm a 34D right now.

kayte
07-18-2009, 08:30 AM
I only wear Fantasie. They sell them at Nordie's and I know they come in larger cup sizes. I'm a 38G, but I've seen them in the smaller band sizes.

I second Fantasie. I love them. I am a 36 F in their sizing (but a 36 G in others).

mamicka
07-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't have any specific recommendations as I have do self-alter all of my bras, but you should look into the Lunaire brand if you haven't already. FYI I'm 34K so I feel your pain.

TwinFoxes
07-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I've tried pretty much all of the brands mentioned here (I was 36DDD before pregnancy). I've found that a brand will have some styles that work for me, while others don't work at all. Freya, Chantalle and Le Mystere tend to be prettier, but more hit and miss fit wise. I used to buy Wacoal exclusively, but stopped because they're not that pretty, and most of the styles in my size are minmizer, which I don't care for.

Bali was just ok for me, not a big selection of styles, and I seem to remember not liking my Bali bras pretty quickly after buyng them.

I have never seen CK or DKNY in larger cup sizes. Not larger than a D.

I like Fantasie bras, they're a good combo of fit & pretty. I also like Goddess bras. I think both of those brands are British, so their sizing is different.

I think the best thing to do is just set aside a chunk of time and try on as many bras as you can stand to! Good luck!!

gordo
07-18-2009, 10:21 AM
I have the same issue. I am a 32DD/E. I was just at Nordstrom and tried every brand on in my size. I ended up with the Natori http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2890088?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=natori+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

Others that fit me well were the Wacoal http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2920798?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=wacoal+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

and this Chantelle http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2891179?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=chantelle+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

All had great lift for my saggy, post-nursing boobs.

kristenk
07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Drat. I was coming here to give you the info on the Chantelle bra type that I wear every.single.day and I've discovered that it's been discontinued. My favorite is the Chantelle Senso Seamless Underwire Bra (2702). I guess I'll have to look for a new favorite. :(

elaineandmichaelsmommy
07-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Thank you all sooo much for having this thread. I'm an I cup right now nursing dd2 and am using the fancee free line. I was nervous about where to buy bras or even if I could find any after she was done nursing.

My only question is this- are these bras at nordstrom underwire? I really don't like underwire since it ALWAYS winds up pushing up out of the side into my armpit after a couple of months. I've resolved to use just soft cup no-underwire bras from now on.

Does nordie's sell anything like that in a larger cup size?

LBW
07-18-2009, 01:29 PM
My absolute favorite bra is the Le Mystere Tisha 955 or 965. I also have a Chantelle bra, and this one holds up better (in every way!). It's comfy, supportive, and survives my not-so-gentle wash routine. Nordies has the lace style (965) on sale for a great price. I might need to pick up a couple.

Edit: D'oh, just saw that you don't like your Le Mystere. Oh well.

baileygirl
07-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Before having kids, I was about the same size. I bought a lot of Goddess bras then from figleaves.com.

nupe
07-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I recommend DKNY and Wacoal. I also like some Chantelle styles.

shilo
07-18-2009, 03:25 PM
34DD here when i'm not nursing. my favorite non nursing bras are still the natori's. esp. the 'foundations' one: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2887111/0~2376776~2378685~2378696~2384456?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2384456&P=5

my _only_ complaint with it is that it has the wider 'comfort' straps up in my size range which means i have trouble with some of my summer tank tops with skinnier straps. so for those, i own one of these, but i don't LOVE it the way i love the natori's:
http://www.freshpair.com/Vanity-Fair-Body-Touch-Full-Coverage-Contour-Convertible-Bra-75-399.html

Andi98989
07-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Fantasie and Freya are my favorite bras. I was fit for some at an Intimacy store in Chicago last year; I wear a 32G in both. Love those bras and miss them horribly right now...

ILoveLucy
07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I love Fantasie, Freya, and a few of the Goddess bras (only the underwire). These put me up in a place I haven't been since I was 16. :) I have a Freya that is nice, though no

Bras available in the department stores have never worked for me. I order from Fig Leaves. Once you order, they send coupons and free shipping/returns frequently, so I can try some out since the sizing isn't always right. If you use them, however, beware of their 14-day return policy. I got stuck with a bra I'm not a big fan of because I didn't get it back in time. Otherwise, they have a great selection of larger sizes and I've been very pleased.

fivi2
07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I love Fantasie, Freya, and a few of the Goddess bras (only the underwire). These put me up in a place I haven't been since I was 16. :) I have a Freya that is nice, though no

Bras available in the department stores have never worked for me. I order from Fig Leaves. Once you order, they send coupons and free shipping/returns frequently, so I can try some out since the sizing isn't always right. If you use them, however, beware of their 14-day return policy. I got stuck with a bra I'm not a big fan of because I didn't get it back in time. Otherwise, they have a great selection of larger sizes and I've been very pleased.

ITA about Fantasie and Freya (and even a few of the Goddess).

I would also look for an independent store that will fit you properly. I don't have experience with Nordstroms (but a friend had a bad experience there), but most chain stores do not do as good of a job at fitting and do not carry a wide enough selection.

kristenk
07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I'll throw in my PSA here. Just because a store is an independent lingerie store doesn't mean its fitting is infallible either. I went to an independent store that was recommended for bra fitting. I guess the lady I got was having a bad day b/c I ended up with a bra that was very much the wrong size and I even asked her about a fit issue with the bra while I was there. I thought that she knew best but realized that it was just totally the wrong size for me after I wore it one day. I went back to Nordstrom and the person there was fabulous.

I'd love to go back to that independent store sometime b/c their selection was wonderful. I'm scared to be fitted there again, though!

MCsMom
07-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I think the best thing to do is just set aside a chunk of time and try on as many bras as you can stand to! Good luck!!

I used to fit bras for a living and every manufacturer fits a little differently.

Good luck!

hellokitty
07-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Bali's Passion for Comfort line is WONDERFUL!!!! I actually stumbled upon it on my own, but had tried super expensive Wacoal (do not like, and super expensive) and Natori (OK, but a rip off). The microfiber is so soft and smooth, I love it. I have the underwire kind. Better yet, they are CHEAP! You can get them at any dept store, but if the Hanes/Bali outlet often has them on sale every once in a while. I bought up several of them from the outlet for only about $13 each. Of course, soon I will be back to wearing nursing bras again, but the Bali Passion for Comfort is what I plan to go back to again after the nursing bra phase. I recommend you check it out, b/c you cannot beat the price and it is so easily accessible (Kohl's, Macy's, etc. all carry it). Oh and in case you are wondering, I'm a 36D-DD.

salsah
07-19-2009, 12:48 AM
i exclusively shop at Nordstrom for bras because it is difficult to find bras to fit my size (34F/G). Chantelle bras are the only ones that fit me (i have full breasts). I love them because they are the only ones that fit me. i have some wire jabbing issues, perhaps a quality issue -- but i don't have a choice.

if you have full breasts then try the chantelle bras. but check the note on the page to be sure that the style is suitable for full breasts, some chantelle bras are made for shallow breasts.

MontrealMum
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I just wanted to update this in case someone is looking for similar recommendations. I only bought bras this time thru the Nordies sale (but thanks for the other recs as well - will try soon :) ), received them last week have worn them all.

I got: my old stand-by Natori 136001, which I still like
-the Wacoal 65124 - a racerback style, so it's a little different feeling, but very supportive
-the Fantasie smoothing T-shirt bra; kind of a demi-cup style, but feels quite nice
-the Chantelle sculpting t-shirt bra

My only observation is that the band fits much tighter in the Chantelle than in the Fantasie in the same size, which might effect ordering. I had to send a Chantelle back once before because of that, but had forgotten. This time I ordered a 32 in both which will be fine since there are 3 sets of hooks, but I think, in future, I'll get a 34 in the Chantelle.

Thanks for all the help ladies, and I'll keep an eye out for those other brands too :)

fivi2
08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Glad you found some you like!

I also ordered a Chantelle during the sale and LOVE it. I still love some of my Fantasie bras, but the Chantelle is great. I can't remember the style - maybe Legende?

Jen841
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I bought Wacoal at Nordstroms... but my new favorite is Bali. I buy them at the outlet now for less than $20 each. I had to buy one due to a packing error at a Macy's, and I won't go back to Nordstroms again. Sorry, not what you really wanted to hear.

larig
08-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I got a Chantelle and a Wacoal during the sale based on the recs you got in this thread, and I'm in love with the Chantelle (a 34 DD/E). It is the best $50 I've spent in a long long time.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I just wanted to update this in case someone is looking for similar recommendations. I only bought bras this time thru the Nordies sale (but thanks for the other recs as well - will try soon :) ), received them last week have worn them all.

I got: my old stand-by Natori 136001, which I still like
-the Wacoal 65124 - a racerback style, so it's a little different feeling, but very supportive
-the Fantasie smoothing T-shirt bra; kind of a demi-cup style, but feels quite nice
-the Chantelle sculpting t-shirt bra

My only observation is that the band fits much tighter in the Chantelle than in the Fantasie in the same size, which might effect ordering. I had to send a Chantelle back once before because of that, but had forgotten. This time I ordered a 32 in both which will be fine since there are 3 sets of hooks, but I think, in future, I'll get a 34 in the Chantelle.

Thanks for all the help ladies, and I'll keep an eye out for those other brands too :)

I bought bra extenders when I was preggo, and I love them, make the 32's into 34's, etc. CHEAP, too! I think I got them on amazon for a few dollars...

AJP
08-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Stupid ?...are you braless for the fitting? I have some surgery scars (not to mention the twin belly) going on and not sure I want to get topless for the fitting. I was at Nordstrom today checking out the selection as I am in desperate need of new bras. I measure myself at 36 F (or 36 DDD) but didn't have time to try anything on with the girls with me. I sent my mom & MIL to the Intimacy store once insisting they both get fit (LOL). I had no idea they would get totally topless and they never used a measuring tape at all!!!

tmarie
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I've had luck with Walcoal and Mysteire (sp?). Both were purchased at Nordstroms. Good luck!