PDA

View Full Version : Does shortening have diary in it?

swrc00
07-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I am making dessert for supper club and I am making Butterless, Eggless, Milkless cake. Yes, that is what is called. Anyways one of the mamas in the group is BF and can't have diary because of her daughter's allergy. Thus the reason for my question. TIA

s7714
07-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think so, I think it's just 100% hydrogenated oil.

ThreeofUs
07-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Some do. You need to read the labels to see.

BabyMine
07-18-2009, 12:08 PM
This is the ingredients for Crisco.

http://www.crisco.com/Products/Details.aspx?groupID=17&prodID=803

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS). 20 oz. Sticks

DrSally
07-18-2009, 10:05 PM
I used crisco for DS when he had a dairy allergy.

Babymakes3
07-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Can you post the recipe for this dessert you are making?! I am in the same boat...still bf'ing and ds has all those allergies and more! I am struggling with birthday cake ideas.

DrSally
07-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Do a search for "applesauce cake". It's been posted here several times and if you sub dairy-free shortening for butter, it will be dairy and egg free. I add ripe banana and/or shredded carrots. Even people with allergies love it when I serve it.

ETA: here it is: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287703&highlight=applesauce

Also, "wacky cake" is dairy free.

happymom
07-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Just for everyone's information, many kosher cookbooks have many recipes for dairy free cakes. Since we don't have milk and meat/chicken/turkey at the same meal, any cakes made for dessert for the sabbath and holiday meals (those meals are traditionally meat meals) have to be dairy free. Almost all my baking is dairy free, and delicious (if I do say so myself! :wink2:) However, my baking is not egg-free, so I couldnt help with this specific post. If anyone has a child with only milk allergies, I can recommend kosher cookbooks for you if you want. Although basically, all you have to do is substitute marg for butter and soy or rice milk for milk. Works basically every time.