PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 30th bday present for me?

Snow mom
07-18-2009, 12:42 PM
When my grandmother passed away she left some money to be held in trust for my college education. Every year I get a check on my birthday and try to spend a significant portion of it on a birthday gift for myself. I'll be thirty at the end of next week (EEK!) and have no idea what to get myself. I've gotten worse and worse at spending money on myself, especially since DD was born and suddenly everything I want is for her. I think last year I bought her nursery furniture with my birthday money and I want to do better this year. So I was hoping someone might have a suggestion of something nice I could get myself. It should be:
-a material object, not something like a spa day
-not a designer purse or clothes or something of that nature. I'm not really into that type of stuff and I work with dead fish (seriously--the glamorous life of a Ph.D. student) so I really don't have use for it day to day.
-preferably something I can enjoy for many years
-at least $200. I'm aiming for between $200-600 but would be able to spend more if I thought of something I'd really enjoy.

So what would you get? The only things I can think of are remodeling projects around my house. While I'm sure I'd appreciate a new back door or tankless water heater for years to come, this doesn't fit my image of my grandmother's intent for the money IYKWIM.

Wife_and_mommy
07-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Do you have a DSLR? That would be in that price range depending on what you found. You could get a nice lens next year. ;)

Happy birthday!!:cheerleader1:

billysmommy
07-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't know if this is something that would be for you but I would re-do a corner of our bedroom with a vanity table and mirror (like the one Scarlett has in Gone with the Wind) and splurge on old fashioned perfume bottles etc for it. Its something I've always wanted and we're budgeting space and money for it when we build our addition in a few years

caleymama
07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Do you have a DSLR? That would be in that price range depending on what you found. You could get a nice lens next year. ;)

Exactly what I was thinking!

Either that or perhaps some nice portraits of your family.

s_gosney
07-18-2009, 01:14 PM

I was thinking a DSLR too. The other thing that I would also want (as a fellow PhD student) is a smart phone with data plan to keep all my to-dos and deadlines more organized and accessible.

Happy birthday!

thomma
07-18-2009, 01:26 PM
My first thought was a DSLR/nice camera too...maybe some classes to go with it if you need/want them. It's like a gift that keeps on giving. :)

Kim
ds&dd -6!

ourbabygirl
07-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I would do family pictures, possibly landscaping if you'll be there for a while, or a nice necklace or bracelet, something you could wear every day. You could also donate part of it to a charity in honor of your grandma. It's a gift that keeps on giving :).

ThreeofUs
07-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Do you have a DSLR? That would be in that price range depending on what you found. You could get a nice lens next year.

Happy Birthday and :yeahthat:

A nice camera is a good investment, and can be used for many things - including taking pix for your thesis! ;)

maylips
07-18-2009, 09:11 PM
My parents gave me a nice piece of jewelry for my 30th birthday and every time I put it on, I think of that time in my life. Very meaningful.

My DH, on the other hand, bought me a bicycle. It was awesome - as I told him, pedaling around the driveway, that you can't ever feel old when you're riding a bike!

Babymakes3
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
My vote is for the Camera...I highly recommend the Canon Rebel! Definitely find a class about the DSLR's though if you go that route! You can take good pictures without the class but you could take fantastic pictures with the class!

My 2nd vote is for a piece of jewelry. A nice pair of diamond stud earrings that you could wear everyday, even to work since i'm thinking you don't want to wear rings or bracelets working with dead sea creatures! Diamond studs go with everything and make you feel good every time you look in the mirror!

BeachBum
07-19-2009, 08:16 AM
I would go with either jewelry or art. There are lots of art festivals this time of year. Perhaps you could find something there?

ray7694
07-19-2009, 09:08 AM
I would buy a ring from baby bands.

http://www.babybands.net

wendibird22
07-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Don't know what your home decor tastes are, but what about a hand sewn custom made quilt? It would be something lasting that you could pass on to your DD.

Jen841
07-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I seem to always find a way to spend money : )
So many great ideas

Happy Birthday!

Quilt/upgrade your bedding
Art (we got a special decorative mirror we treasure)
Membership to something (you can renew it annually)
Bikes/Trailer for your family (for the higher end you and throw in a bike rack too)
New grill (we LOVE the Weber one we bought a few years ago)
Porch furniture
Swing (porch or one for the yard)
Vacation fund
Dinners (Dream Dinners, Super Suppers,...) - my luxary on occassion, no time cooking allows for more play time
Target spending spree
Camping gear

Is there something your Grandma treasures/enjoyed that you could do? I.e. she loves seafood so buy lobsters and a lobster pot with part of the $ or she loved music, get tickets to an outdoor classical music concert for your family.

DH's uncle gives us $ each year at Christmas and we do something with it we know he would like us to do. The last two years we used it for our annual NYC Christmas trip. We told him he paid for our Wintuck tickets which made him happy.

Snow mom
07-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed ideas. I'm still a bit on the fence but at least now I have some good ideas.