PDA

View Full Version : clothing for a new born

hehateme
07-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi:

We are expecting our first child in early August. We live in Twin Cities, MN.
I have read many books and they offer advice about how many clothes to buy.
Our baby boy is expected to be 7.5 pounds. We have received clothes of many sizes as our shower gifts but I am trying to determine if we have enough clothes.

August is warm in MN but it starts cooling down in September.This makes it tough to buy too many summer clothes for a new born.

Can you please share your must have new born clothing?
Where did you buy it and what we should avoid?

Thanks

bigpassport
07-18-2009, 04:02 PM
We live in the desert Southwest (i.e. hot). DS was 7 lbs 10 oz at birth. For the first month, really all he wore were onesies. The kind didn't go over his head worked a little better (all I could find were Gerber at Target, but I didn't really have time to look), but he got used to us putting the onesie over his head without too much fuss. We kept him home a lot to avoid germs and that reduced our need for a bunch of cute clothes. Also indispensable was a Miracle Blanket. He's 6 weeks and about 10 lbs now and most of our 0-3 mo and 3 mo clothes are still too big for him, so I know all the 6 mos summer clothes are going to have to be returned. I would recommend lots of onesies, a couple of newborn size outfits and a Miracle Blanket for the first month.

ETA: I also learned that naked babies are slippery even when they aren't wet. Onesies (vs. separate top and bottom outfits) help you grip the LO a little better.

catsnkid
07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
HI, my baby was born the day before the prev poster and was just over 8 lbs at birth.. I just weighed him and he is 12.5 at 6 weeks. I'm a big fan of the gowns for night time and wearing newborn t-shirts until the cord falls off. I like the sleep sacks too. This summer he has not worn a lot of onesies, mostly short sleeve rompers but I don't think you will need to worry much about that. If you get a lot of newborn outfits, just exchange them for bigger sizes.
Don't buy saque sets, and pants that don't snap open or anything that buttons up the back.. Snaps are bad enough.

I bought lots of stuff at tag sales/thrift shops in all sizes and also changed a lot stuff for bigger sizes. Also accept all offers of used stuff!