PDA

View Full Version : swim diapers - long term wearing?

neeleymartin
07-18-2009, 08:13 PM
my ds1 spends most days in and around the pool(wading), sprinkler, and other water toys. i put him in a swim dipe, then he flits in and out of the pool, and to the sandbox, a quick swing, then back in the pool. how long is it okay to wear one? i swear i remember reading that possibly rash or something can occur. tia

pharmjenn
07-19-2009, 01:53 AM
I don't know anything about causing a rash, but the swim diapers don't hold urine in. So once he gets it wet, beware that the next pee is going to go down his legs. If he is just playing outside, likely not a problem.
Plus,don't forget a shirt or rashguard and plenty of sunscreen. Good for you for getting outside so much!

MommyAllison
07-19-2009, 02:17 AM
I don't think there are many (any?) chemicals in disposable swim diapers, since they don't absorb anything, so I wouldn't think a rash would come from that...unless it was just a rash from being so wet/chafing? We usually use reusable swim diapers, since we use them almost everyday and disposable swim dipes are $$, but I don't think you should have a problem. My BIL actually put my niece in a disposable swim dipe overnight a few days ago - other than my sister waking up to a huge puddle, no damage done. :)

veronica
07-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I think the rash might occur from any pool chemicals that linger against the body.

We don't use swim diapers at all if DS has already had a BM, since they don't hold in urine at all! We will us them if we swim anywhere other than our pool though-don't want to offend anyone that thinks they hold pee!!

hobie
07-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd use a reuseable swim diaper instead...much more economical.

vonfirmath
07-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I think the rash might occur from any pool chemicals that linger against the body.

We don't use swim diapers at all if DS has already had a BM, since they don't hold in urine at all! We will us them if we swim anywhere other than our pool though-don't want to offend anyone that thinks they hold pee!!

It isn't just those that think they hold pee -- but others are not aware of your kids' schedules (and at least my son has been known to have a BM outside of his normal schedule). So you want to respect the public water as well.