PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillars!!! Pics Added

randomkid
07-18-2009, 10:42 PM
DH is currently out buying another plant and looking for some sort of butterfly kit or cage to put all these in so we can have a crop of butterflies soon - LOL! Oh, and the "frass" was not contained by that little piece of newspaper DH put under there - it's like they throw it or something!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/P1010009-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/P1010006-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/P1010010.jpg

About 2 years ago, my Mom bought a milkweed plant and DD had her first caterpillar/chrysalis/butterfly experience. Since then, Mom has given us a few more in jars right about they time they are ready to change into a chrysalis. So, this year Mom decides DD should have her own plant. Fine by me, but no caterpillars for a long time. I'd about given up. By coincidence, we planted seeds to grow flowers for DD and apparently the monarchs really like these flowers. So, I see we are getting a lot of butterflies and decide to check the milkweed. I was so excited for DD when I found a caterpillar. Waited until she got home - she was at my parents - got a jar and went out to collect him (sorry, "her" according to DD). I then notice a bunch of caterpillars on this one plant - some are extremely tiny. Mom and I stopped counting when we got to 23!

So, being the animal lover that I am, I send DH to Lowe's to buy another plant so they have more food. Guess what? That plant also had a couple of tiny caterpillars. Anyway, went out today and the one plant was totally stripped and most had moved to the new plant. DD yells "Oh no! A bee!!" and runs off. No, not a bee, but a wasp chowing down on a caterpillar! It was so disturbing!! I found several remains on the ground :( Fortunately, DD didn't see this. I get a hose, get rid of the wasps and transfer the rest of the caterpillars to the new plant which is still in the pot. Took the plant onto the back porch which is screened in. I went back out and sadly, I had missed a big fat, and apparently juicy, one that was devoured in nothing flat by a big BIG wasp looking thing. So, now we have 17 caterpillars (they grow amazingly fast BTW) and one chrysalis. I think I'll have to go buy them another plant tomorrow! I'll never do this again - I can't handle the stress! Now, I need a small tree for them to all go to where they can become chrysalises.

My parents always wondered what happened to their caterpillars - guess we know now. I just couldn't leave them out there. Ya know, those things poop A LOT - we have newspaper down under the plant. I'm pathetic.

Snow mom
07-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, I think it's pretty cool (but then again I also spent the evening making a butterfly mobile.) Having food plants for the adult butterflies and food plants for the caterpillars works out well. Caterpillar poop is called "frass" if it makes you feel any better about how much they produce. I think it's funny how many different names there are for different critters poop.

gatorsmom
07-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I'll never do this again - I can't handle the stress!

It does sound really cool but i couldn;t help but giggle at this line. Who would have thought that catapillars could get your heart-rate up? :ROTFLMAO:

Drag0nflygirl
07-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Caterpillar poop is called "frass" if it makes you feel any better about how much they produce.

:bowdown:I bow to thee oh master of random trivia!:jammin:

Where did ya find that out?

randomkid
07-19-2009, 12:40 AM
It does sound really cool but i couldn;t help but giggle at this line. Who would have thought that catapillars could get your heart-rate up? :ROTFLMAO:

If you had seen how frantically those wasps were chewing away on my wriggling little babies, you'd be stressed too! My reactions in chronological order: :eek: :barf: :superhero: Sadly, a couple of them couldn't be saved. One was half eaten, so I just squished him. The other, well, I think he had been stung. It was like his back end was paralyzed. I couldn't bring myself to smush, so I had to flush. I tried to get DH to do it for me, but I think he was sitting there on the sofa rolling his eyes at me while I was in a tizzy - lol!

Then, there were the poor little things just crawling around on the remaining sticks of the plant looking for food. Hence my anticipation of having to buy another plant tomorrow. I'm tellin' ya - stressful. Guess this cures my desire for a puppy! Yet, puppies are cuddly and playful. Can't really say that for a caterpillar even though DD holds them, pets them, thinks they are cute and talks baby talk to them (that is, until they get too big). At least it will all be over in a few days.

randomkid
07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
:BUMP:Bumping up in case anyone wants to see the pics :28:

JMS
07-19-2009, 12:19 PM
So cool - I would love to do this for DD... I'm going to look into it for next year. Please keep up posts (with pictures, pretty please) :)

MMMommy
07-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Really cool pics!

happymom
07-19-2009, 01:55 PM
What camera did you use to take those pictures- they are awesome and so clear! By the way, your DD is so adorable.

deborah_r
07-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Wow, your caterpillars are so pretty! We just did one of those Butterfly Garden kits, and our caterpillars were kind of ugly. The butterflies are pretty (painted ladies). I'm thinking I'm going to release ours soon. I'm not sure how happy they will be living in the little habitat. They just came out of the chrysalis last week.

jgenie
07-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Those caterpillars are really pretty and your DD is gorgeous!!

bubbaray
07-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Um, I had no idea that wasps were carnivorous. Ewwwww. I thought they only ate pollen! See, another reason I hate wasps.

Your DD is so cute!

MamaMolly
07-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Fun post to read! I bet DD is having a ball. :)

randomkid
07-19-2009, 10:36 PM
What camera did you use to take those pictures- they are awesome and so clear! By the way, your DD is so adorable.

It's a point and shoot - Panasonic Lumix. DD actually took the second picture - the one with the real closeup of that one caterpillar.

randomkid
07-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Wow, your caterpillars are so pretty! We just did one of those Butterfly Garden kits, and our caterpillars were kind of ugly. The butterflies are pretty (painted ladies). I'm thinking I'm going to release ours soon. I'm not sure how happy they will be living in the little habitat. They just came out of the chrysalis last week.

We have monarchs here, so that's what these are. I keep watching them - one of the smaller ones kept crawling off. I found in on that wooden swing that's behind DD. I put it in the butterfly garden that DH bought today and it has attached itself. I wonder why one of the smallest is ready to change, but the other big fat ones just keep gorging themselves. It's funny to watch them. I'll be out there (sweeping up poop) and I'll hear "thunk" just to turn around and see that one of them has fallen off and hit the ground. I put them back in the pot and if they keep eating, they stay on the plant. I think by tomorrow or Tuesday, I will be putting a lot of them in the garden. They have to be getting close to changing into a chrysalis.

shawnandangel
07-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Kim,
This is a fantastic thread! I love your storytelling! Keep us updated! Your DD is beautiful btw.

Drag0nflygirl
07-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm soooo enjoying this thread (and I still want to know where "frass" comes from). Also, don't be afraid to get a puppy. Wasps don't eat puppies.

randomkid
07-19-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm soooo enjoying this thread (and I still want to know where "frass" comes from).

I'm guessing it comes from the end that is opposite of their mouths - lol! If you read one of the PPs, you'll see that the correct term for caterpillar poop is "frass". When I go out to check on them, a couple of them always poop - it's gross.

randomkid
07-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Also, forgot to mention that I saved another one this morning.:D I just had to check one more time under the old plant (it is planted in the ground) and I found one still alive and unscathed, chewing on a dead leaf. I brought it in and put it on the new plant which has all green leaves (unlike the second plant we got which had a lot of yellow leaves). We discovered that the caterpillars don't like the yellow leaves and won't eat them. When DH bought the new plant today, he got one with all green leaves. He said most of them were turning yellow. So, see? I'm not the only one looking out for these little guys. So, now we have 18 caterpillars and one chrysalis, soon to be 17 caterpillars and 2 chrysalises or chrysalides - either is proper for plural - I looked it up. Again, pathetic. I'll try to get a good pic of a chrysalis. They are really pretty - green with this thin strip of gold around the top.

DD has gotten much braver and is picking up the bigger ones now. She always says "Poor little fella" in the sweetest voice when she is talking to them - it's a riot!

happymom
07-19-2009, 11:54 PM
It's a point and shoot - Panasonic Lumix. DD actually took the second picture - the one with the real closeup of that one caterpillar.

I can't believe it- that's the exact same camera that I have. I am always complaining that it doesnt take good pictures. Now I know its just ME! Did you play around with the settings to get the background faded and the caterpillars so clear in that close-up?

Also, what kind of butterflies are those pretty caterpillars going to turn into? This is so exciting!!

bigpassport
07-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I know I'm supposed to be looking at the caterpillars, but I just love your DD's hair!

randomkid
07-20-2009, 12:18 AM
I can't believe it- that's the exact same camera that I have. I am always complaining that it doesnt take good pictures. Now I know its just ME! Did you play around with the settings to get the background faded and the caterpillars so clear in that close-up?

Also, what kind of butterflies are those pretty caterpillars going to turn into? This is so exciting!!

Well, I do have my complaints about this camera. We have an older model that I think does a better job. I find this one does better with outdoor pics than indoor. It has that face recognition thing, but I'm always getting pics that are out of focus. It's very frustrating. I used it on the "Normal Picture" setting - that's the one with the red camera symbol. Didn't do anything special, just held it close - and like I said, DD took the close up pic - lol!

They will be monarch butterflies.