PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding Mamas--anyone else have a recurrence of pain/blistering after teething?

eidean
07-19-2009, 01:02 AM
DS cut his first two teeth over the last week and a half, and yesterday he blistered me again. For the last month or two nursing has not always been completely comfortable since he likes to pop himself off to look around and see what's going on (even if nothing is), but this is the first time he's caused visible (and very painful) damage since his first month of life. Is this a common issue that will clear up soon once he gets used to sucking with the new fixtures in his mouth, or do I need to take a visit to an LC? TIA!

TwinFoxes
07-19-2009, 01:08 AM
I have the same problem with my girls, they both like to look around to see what the other one is doing. One thing that helped me was making sure the girls were latching properly, like back when they (and I!) were first learning. Not just letting them grab hold any old way. I had gotten lax about making sure they were lined up and everything. Also i made a lot of eye contact with them to get them to concentrate on the task at hand. Both those steps really seemed to help with the biting.

That being said, one of them actually drew blood the other day! YOWZA! It was a total accident, I'm not even sure she bit that hard, I think she just nicked me with the corner of her little tooth.

eidean
07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
...bump...

hellbennt
07-21-2009, 09:49 AM
ack. I feel your pain. with both boys, I actually had an open wound! it wasn't that they were biting me, it was the angle of where the new tooth was coming in, etc. I had to experiment w/ different positions so as not to keep re-injuring the open wound. I did wind up going to a LC just bcse I didn't know what I could put on the sore, etc and I was at a loss as to what to do- turns out she told me what I had kinda figured out- that I should find a way/a new angle so as not to have the same tooth/teeth hit the same sore spot...I somehow got through it! but it hurt. ouch.