PDA

View Full Version : Would you loan out your carseat?

MontrealMum
07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Not sure if this belongs here or the lounge...

DH's friend and his wife are having baby #2 in a few short weeks and have no carseat yet because the people they borrowed carseats from for #1 have since had another child and needed everything back. They've asked if they can borrow/buy/rent ours. I do not want to sell the seat as we're not sure we're done having kids, and I think it's silly to sell it when we'd only have to buy another. I would consider loaning it out. I want to help, but I am having trouble getting over a few stumbling blocks.

1) I'm an only child, I don't share well - I know this :tongue5:
2) We will be moving soon. Likely clear across the country. We are not certain we're done having children. If we loan the seat out, do I really want to deal with trying to get it back next year when we're in Vancouver or something? This is not a trip we'd be making in a car, but in a plane - so there's the issue of checking the thing as baggage since it's an infant seat and too small for DS. Or it could be mailed, but I shudder to think what it would cost.
3) Somewhat irrational fear of the seat being mistreated - washing straps in the machine, etc. These are good friends, but not carseat nuts.

WWYD? Am I being silly?

WatchingThemGrow
07-19-2009, 08:09 PM
For reason #2, I think you can back out easily. Any rational person would understand that you're moving soon (like before they'd be done with it?) and it would be a pain to deal with getting it back. Can you say that you'll want it back by XX date or something, which might get them to look elsewhere.

I did loan ours out to friends, fearing your #3 and knowing #1 about myself. It came back a little more worn, but it's fine. I did ask for it back when their kid was maybe 8 mos old and still fit in it. I think they would've kept it longer but we really did need it back.

You could point them to some sales on one.

jgenie
07-19-2009, 08:16 PM
It all depends on your comfort level. :) I lent most of my maternity clothes to the cousin of a good friend of mine. I'm petite and I knew my clothes would be a perfect fit. I kept one pair of jeans and my favorite tops because I knew I would be sad if something happened to them. I offered most of our baby gear with the exception of our carseat - although I was fine lending the bases. GL - it's ok if you don't want to lend it out. :)

bubbaray
07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I too am an only and I too don't share well. See, you need to move to Vancouver and we can toast to that, LOL!

Seriously, though. I would loan out an infant bucket. Both my kids HATED theirs and DD#1 was only in it for 4m (DD#2 was in it 2m). So, if it were me, I'd be pretty OK with loaning it out thinking I'd get it back shortly, KWIM?

Can you ask them to not wash things without asking you first? Never wash the straps, etc.?

I wouldn't loan out a convertible or harnessed booster seat, except possibly to another tech if I knew them well. I might loan out a BPB booster -- there's not a whole lot that can go wrong with them, KWIM?

I had another tech loan me a BPB (Monterey) for 2w and it was GREAT. DD#1 got her booster training (and I then purchased a Monterey for her a couple of weeks later). I would have been too nervous to buy the Monterey without trying DD#1 in it for a while to make sure she was ready (as IMO she's on the young end of booster readiness). So, I do feel like I need to "give back" at some point, karma wise.

LexyLou
07-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I loaned out my DD2's Graco Safeseat. We're also moving clear across country. I just let her know that we aren't sure if we're done and I just needed it back before we move next month. She's been in contact with me about it.

I figure, I'd rather let someone use it and save some $ than have it just sitting around in our basement, you know?

HIU8
07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Nope. I'm type A. Need I say more.....

ellies mom
07-20-2009, 12:27 AM
I did loan out ours but then when the time came to get it back, we had lost touch for a while and I felt awkward about calling out of the blue and getting it back. But I'm OK with it because the original was before they all raised the maximum length so it was a good excuse to get a new one.

In your case though, I wouldn't lend it unless you are comfortable with the idea of not getting it back. I'd probably just give or sell it to them rather than lending. If you are moving across country, getting it back later will be problematic. Plus you never know what the next greatest thing will be.

niccig
07-20-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm wary of lending things out that I want to use again, as some things have come back in poor shape. A couple of things were not even washed before returned to me, and I was surprised to say the least as I thought they would take better care of things.

If you do lend, then I would make it clear that when you move, you will need the seat back - and as you do not know when you will move, they'll have to be OK with the possibility of having it for a short term period.

Stress the no washing of straps.

I have a Safeguard GO and a RSTV, and one friend saw them and said "great, can we borrow for our next vacation" - I ummed and ahhed and I said I'm not comfortable loaning out car seats. I know that 4 weeks with her and both would be in bad shape. I've given her other baby things, but something I want to use, umm No as I will not get it back in a shape that I can clean. I know this, because it's happened to other things and she's very blase about the return condition. DS can use these 2 seats for another 4+ years, so I want them in good condition.

Nooknookmom
07-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Not much to add other than I too am an only child (only step siblings later in childhood) and do NOT share well either.

I'm also type A and would constantly obsess over the condition once it was returned and if it wasn't returned I would be irritated forever.

My friend has hinted about needing a seat occasionally, for a child she has w/ her from time to time, I turned the conversation pretty quickly.

Is there a support group for only children w/ sharing issues somewhere?

AnnieW625
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't have an issue loaning out my Snug Ride 22 because it's not being used at this time. I'd rather see it go to use than sit taking up space in my garage. However I would say that since I am not done having kids I would like it back by a certain date.

arivecchi
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I lend all of my gear (infant car seats, swings, bouncy chairs, etc.). I'm ok with it because so far I've only lent it to family. They've taken good care of it. I'd be hesistant to lend gear if I knew the person was not careful.