PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick p and pt, please...UPDATE-EVERYTHING'S OK!

gatorsmom
07-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Got the results back of the mammogram and ultrasound of my breast tissue right away. Everything is all clear. This really gives me peace of mind because the doctor also gave me a thorough breast exam so in addition to the u/s and mammogram, I feel very confident! yay!!! Interestingly, the u/s tech, who does mainly breast ultrasounds, said she hears all the time from patients that they are having pain in their breasts but nothing shows up on the tests. No one is ever sure what causes them.

The BBB mojo does it again. Thanks, all, for your support and pand pt!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm having my first mammogram tomorrow. I posted the other day about these weird twinges I"m having in my left breast. The doctor didn't feel any lumps but thought we should do a mammogram and an ultrasound of my left breast to make sure. He feels that all should be fine and said he's not worried about it but this mammogram will then serve as a baseline.

If you could take a quick second to say a prayer or think a positive thought for me, I"d appreciate it. I"m scared. It's probably normal, as I've seen my mother and grandmother suffer and die of breast cancer and many more members of my family have died of some sort of cancer. That kind of experience tends to leave a deep, psychological scar, kwim?

TIA!

randomkid
07-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Prayers and Positive Thoughts coming your way! Thanks for reminding me that I need to schedule my mammogram appt. It takes about 5-6 months to get one around here.

ETA: Just remember - don't freak out if they do it over after the radiologist looks at it. They did that to me once and I was really worried. The tech told me that it was just not a good image and they wanted to redo it. Ask any questions that come up while you are there. You don't want to leave there worrying about something that may be nothing. They may not be able to answer everything because the MD has to answer some of it, but ask anyway.

Octobermommy
07-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Prayers coming your way. Let us know how it goes.

MontrealMum
07-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Lots of P&PT coming your way. I had my first when I was 30 and was terrified, but in the end, it was great to have the all-clear, so it was all worth it. I am adopted too, so not knowing my family history was an added stress, which is why the doc pushed for me to have one so early. The techs and nurses were so nice, though, and did lots of educating afterwards about how to do exams, what bad lumps feel like vs. good, so it was a really positive experience overall. :hug:

southern_kali_gurl
07-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts heading your way.:hug:

gatorsmom
07-20-2009, 12:50 AM
I am adopted too, so not knowing my family history was an added stress, which is why the doc pushed for me to have one so early. :hug:

You know, it's interesting. My regular OBGYN agreed that because I don't know my family history it was a good idea to start now. But a couple of months ago I went to a different doctor in this practice for my annual pap(who I could see sooner and at a closer location) and she said that I was too young (I'm 37yo) and that I didn't have a family history so the odds of me having bcancer were rare. I tried to argue that no, I don't know if I have a family history- I could have a rampant history of cancer. She poo pooed me and said that if I wanted the mammogram I'd have to pay for it that insurance woudn't cover it and I was too young so not to worry. :irked: I tried to bring it up to her a couple of times and even asked her about the funny twinges I was having in my left breast- no luck. She said it was probably just from stopping breastfeeding (which I did 12 months earlier). I should just stick to my regular OBGYN- we're on the same wavelength, i guess.

MontrealMum
07-20-2009, 01:04 AM
I didn't mean to worry you with that, I regretted it after I'd replied :( But I think in our situation it's a good thing to do. My doc called it having a baseline mammogram. So that in the future there'd be something to compare with if there were changes etc. It's a good thing too, because when I was 30 things were noticely denser and now, after pregnancy and bfing, well, YKWIM.

He didn't just do it because of the lack of family history, I'd been having pain too, and had a "lump" that was tied to hormonal changes, so that's what instigated the discussion. It all checked out OK, but the whole experience has given me a lot more peace of mind, as well as knowledge.

Poo on your non-regular doc for not being proactive! Is there a thumbs-down smilie?

gatorsmom
07-20-2009, 01:14 AM
I didn't mean to worry you with that, I regretted it after I'd replied :( But I think in our situation it's a good thing to do. My doc called it having a baseline mammogram. So that in the future there'd be something to compare with if there were changes etc. It's a good thing too, because when I was 30 things were noticely denser and now, after pregnancy and bfing, well, YKWIM.

He didn't just do it because of the lack of family history, I'd been having pain too, and had a "lump" that was tied to hormonal changes, so that's what instigated the discussion. It all checked out OK, but the whole experience has given me a lot more peace of mind, as well as knowledge.

Poo on your non-regular doc for not being proactive! Is there a thumbs-down smilie?

You didn't worry me at all! I complete agree with you. I'll just be glad when this is all behind me. :) And yes, there is a thumbs down smilie and she deserves it. She poo pooed all the questions and concerns I had for her that day. And when my glucose test came back too high (after they retested the sample) I found out about it 3 weeks later through a letter saying I was prediabetic and should eat more vegetables and exercise more. OH, and I could call her office if I had questions. Gee thanks. :13:

pinkmomagain
07-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Sending good thoughts.

Melbel
07-20-2009, 08:02 AM
It sounds like you need to fire your doctor! Seriously, I am fed up with mediocre "care" and follow up. I had a baseline mammogram at 35 as part of my OB/GYN's normal practice. Just a word of caution about having mammograms at a younger age - the breasts are naturally more dense which may result in having to do a compression mammogram, ultrasounds and/or biopsies (all of the above for me but it ultimately checked out fine). It was stressful going through it, but provided great peace of mind once it was all said and done. Once I have completely weaned DD2, I am due for a f/u mammogram myself. I guess I ought to set the appointment!

Sending hugs, P&PT!

bnme
07-20-2009, 08:03 AM
P&PT coming your way

I had my first mammo at 30 to serve a baseline. Then I think 35, then every year. I thought that was standard. (and no bc history)

Good for you for being persistent!

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2009, 08:12 AM
I hope everything goes well. Lots of P&PT headed your way.

Beth

amandabea
07-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Sending you prayers and positive thoughts.

KpbS
07-20-2009, 08:35 AM
P+PT headed your way. Hope all is well!

Melaine
07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Hope all goes smoothly and you get a very clearly normal result.

Ceepa
07-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Prayers coming your way, Lisa.

shawnandangel
07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Praying for you

carolinamama
07-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Thinking about you and sending p and pt that the results are clear and give you peace of mind.

Pennylane
07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Thinking of you today Lisa!

Ann

BabyMine
07-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Hugs, prayers, and positive thoughts.

ThreeofUs
07-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Saw this late, but sending positive thoughts your way. Let us know, okay?

g-mama
07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Sending my prayers, Lisa.

gatorsmom
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I updated in my original post.

elektra
07-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah! I was thinking about you and I freaked out when I saw your post about preparing Gator and Cha Cha for the worst! I was so glad to see it was just about their own shots!
Glad the tests are looking good!

daisymommy
07-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Whew! :yay:I'm so glad! I've been thinking about you and checking in daily to see if there were any updates!

JTsMom
07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm just seeing this now. Hooray for everything being ok! :yay: And :hug: b/c I'm sure it must have been really scary.

ThreeofUs
07-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear everything's okay, Lisa! Awesome!

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Yay!! I was wondering if I had missed this update. I'm glad all is well, Lisa.

Beth

MontrealMum
07-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Great to hear that everything's OK :) I'd say go celebrate, but I'm not sure if you still have that cake hanging around ;)

Mamma2004
07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
[quote=gatorsmom;2425639]Got the results back of the mammogram and ultrasound of my breast tissue right away. Everything is all clear. This really gives me peace of mind because the doctor also gave me a thorough breast exam so in addition to the u/s and mammogram, I feel very confident! yay!!! Interestingly, the u/s tech, who does mainly breast ultrasounds, said she hears all the time from patients that they are having pain in their breasts but nothing shows up on the tests. No one is ever sure what causes them.

The BBB mojo does it again. Thanks, all, for your support and pand pt!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Lisa, this is amazing news!!!! I can imagine your relief and frankly, your excitement after such a thorough exam and a benign result. Hooray!!!!!!!!!

Just FYI, I had tests done for pain in my left breast years ago (before DS and nursing). They "concluded", due to lack of more serious issues, that I had likely pulled a muscle while carrying, of all things, a vacuum cleaner. Crazy sounding but, in fact, when our local Macy's closed I bought a canister vac and carried it around waist level, all the way to my apartment 8 blocks away. Maybe they were right!

Congrats on your wonderful news. Enjoy relaxing this weekend!!!!!

MamaMolly
07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
:bighand: Yay!

KpbS
07-22-2009, 12:11 AM
What a relief! :hug: