PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Take Kids 4 wedding in FL or not?

ray7694
07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
My brother is having a beach wedding in FL in June. Siesta Key area. He asked me to be a bridesmaid and my ds and dd to be flower girl ring bearer. I said I would be in the wedding but am thinking about my kids. My immediate family will be flying and we are staying on the beach. I don't know if I want to fork over the money for all of us to fly and the stress of it.

My options are to go by myself and enjoy the trip or take my kids who will be 2 and 5.

WWYD?

They will have a reception back home that my kids will attend.

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I would! I love Siesta Key! My stepbrother lives there, and I grew up a couple islands above it. The sand there is AMAZING. There's a cool drum circle on that beach at night which is fun to observe. Not sure if it is every night. There are some fun things to do with kids nearby - Jungle Gardens, City Island Park (picnic and water spray area), Myakka State Park, etc.

We're contemplating an across the country family wedding in SFO, but we're not sure we can swing it with 3 DC as young as ours.

egoldber
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I would, I think it sounds fun. :)

jellibeans
07-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I would because I can't imagine my brother getting married and my kids not being in his wedding!

alexsmommy
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
How helpful is your immediate family? I'd do it if I knew there were family members who would be truly helpful. You know, not ones who say they will and then define helping as lying on the beach and managing to take the straw from their drink out of their mouth long enough to say, "Hey, your kid is running towards the water."

AnnieW625
07-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I would take them since your brother wants them to be involved in the ceremony. You could also try and make the trip a little bit longer than just wedding so you and your kids can spend some good time together.

vonfirmath
07-20-2009, 11:25 AM
It's your brother. It's a family time. I'd do it.

BabyMine
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
My SIL was married there 2 years ago on the beach. DS1 was in the ceremony (he was 2) There were other kids and they were fine. Just rememer the sunscreen and the umbrellas.

JBaxter
07-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I would in a heart beat.